Mike Milbury (!) defends Canadiens against Bruins propaganda

PricePkPatch*

Honestly, at least he's consistent. I don't like him but seeing stuff like:

"Moen refuses to fight when habs are up 2-1, *****"

then

"Mcquaid did't fight for the team when they were up 3-2, kept his emotions in check, team player"

is an example of switching your stance. We do it too obviously. I'm just pointing out an example that's easier to relate to.

If habs whine, they didn't show it. Chara jumped Emelin and instead of habs cashing it in in supposed fear they crashed the net, they scored 2 goals and won the game.

At the end however, Julien decided to blow off some steam and vent. At the end of the day, yes Emelin's crosscheck was controversial but Julien made it out to be an excuse for Chara having to do what he did. Nope. Julien just wants bruins to get away with it next time so they can control the game and play their way.

Toronto is slowly become worse and worse in that regard. I remember last game, going all "Lol, Phaneuf did well not to fight Prust" and then, half a game later, "Lol, why Subban no fight Ott?"

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
As a Sens fan who doesn't really like either team I'd have to say the Bruins are projecting here. Marchand is constantly diving and playing dirty, Lucic has at least one shift a game where he does nothing but try to injure people, and the rest of the team will take any excuse to jump opposing players.

They do this constantly and then complain about their opponents doing it whether it's true or not. It's really starting to get old and I wish someone would just tell Julien to shut the hell up.

Daniel Plainview

Jan 8, 2012
Dracut MA
As a Sens fan who doesn't really like either team I'd have to say the Bruins are projecting here. Marchand is constantly diving and playing dirty, Lucic has at least one shift a game where he does nothing but try to injure people, and the rest of the team will take any excuse to jump opposing players.

They do this constantly and then complain about their opponents doing it whether it's true or not. It's really starting to get old and I wish someone would just tell Julien to shut the hell up.

Julien seems to really have a problem with Montreal. Most of the time, he never complains after a game about calls or the other team. Even when the media tries to goad him into it, he says things like, "that's up to the league" or "we're not going to worry about that" or "we can only control what we can control" or "I'm not going to stand here and make excuses"

But the few times he has piped up, it's after a Montreal game. Maybe he's bitter, not sure. But I guess I'll try to defend him and say, he usually doesn't complain. He's even come after some games last year where Marchand was diving like an idiot and said he wasn't happy with it and is going to talk to him about it

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Honestly, habs have dived, I bet sens have too. Thing is, really pathetic to see Julien complain about it.

That's an example. If we got rid of matching penalties the TBL would've had stamkos on the ice but in this sequence they were both penalized.

What's worse is you see Seguin make a face as if "diving? what?". Then seguin gets a crosscheck and falls dramatically to the ice(he may have been hurt, but it certainly wasn't a lean, he fell onto the ice). The ref stares right at, no call.

Off topic but Stamkos' skating is unreal. Saw him live and he's on another level. You see it there with a good skater like seguin gaining some speed and stamkos burning him. lol

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Julien seems to really have a problem with Montreal. Most of the time, he never complains after a game about calls or the other team. Even when the media tries to goad him into it, he says things like, "that's up to the league" or "we're not going to worry about that" or "we can only control what we can control" or "I'm not going to stand here and make excuses"

But the few times he has piped up, it's after a Montreal game. Maybe he's bitter, not sure. But I guess I'll try to defend him and say, he usually doesn't complain

That's because of suspensions and stuff like that he can't criticize the refs or the NHL or he'll get fined.

It's free season to bash other teams though.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Those shifts are hilarious...the other day when the Bruins played the Sens, for some reason, Lucic was just upset. He spent an entire shift not even paying attention to the puck or his defensive assignments

He was just trying to run someone, anyone...He finally got a penalty

But it was hilarious to watch, even my Bruins friend who I was watching the game with was laughing.

Comfortably Numb

Dream Theater
Feb 10, 2010
I used to fall into it some, when I was younger. Making blanket statements and assumptions about players I didn't know and fans I would never meet. Then I reached the age of reason

Now I step back and look at the way people react to this stuff and it's just crazy. The thread at the top of the Bruins thread, especially the first page is filled with such misguided, inflammatory drivel. As is the "CH stands for character" thread in this forum. The first couple pages anyway

Makes sense that it's worst at the beginning, when the game is more fresh in peoples minds or more importantly their emotions are still running high. But man, you would think this was a battle between good and evil

Even right now, both subforums and even this very thread there is and will be more people saying things like, "that guy in the middle is a typical Boston fan." It's disappointing to see people take that attitude, because it's flat out wrong

I agree with you, some people in here are delusional, I don't know if they have anger problems, but being a habs fan is the same as being a bruins fan. We're human beings that love the same sport. Respect to you my friend, I know you're not all the same, we both have bad apples in our fanbase.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
The Red Sox coverage is EASILY the worst. Because they owners of the team own NESN as well. The way they glaze over or completely ignore anything negative is embarrassing

Bruins? Eh, other than Jack Edwards, I think it's pretty run of the mill

Yeah, you are probably right. I know that I enjoy coverage where I can barely tell which crew is covering. I know we have our own troubles in our own markets but I think veteran fans can see through this. The worst I expose myself to is Joe Bowen for Sportsnet on the Leafs games, he's sometimes on the edge of turning me off with his comments and his "Holy Mackinaw!" whenever any Leaf highlight occurs. But the Leaf fans love him, so he's not going anywhere soon.

There are some over the top fans and I hate to see them in broadcasting positions, it feels like propaganda to me .

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
I personally moved off the Habs are divers thing a while ago

We have the Canucks for that now ;)

Thing is, some of our players definitely will dive or embellish, it's par for the course. And pretty much every team in the league has some of those players.

That being said, thanks for the opposing point of view. You are doing a great job at staying unbiased, considering our respective teams rivalry, and the game last night. Kudos.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton

But the few times he has piped up, it's after a Montreal game. Maybe he's bitter, not sure. But I guess I'll try to defend him and say, he usually doesn't complain. He's even come after some games last year where Marchand was diving like an idiot and said he wasn't happy with it and is going to talk to him about it

I think he's a gamesmanship complainer. He does it when he's going to face a team later that might be a threat to their team succeeding. So he pulls it out for a divisional rival during the regular season or during the playoffs.

Or when he needs to deflect from something, like losing to a rival that was using its backup on a back to back when they were rested.

Daniel Plainview

Jan 8, 2012
Dracut MA
I agree with you, some people in here are delusional, I don't know if they have anger problems, but being a habs fan is the same as being a bruins fan. We're human beings that love the same sport. Respect to you my friend, I know you're not all the same, we both have bad apples in our fanbase.

For sure. For some people it all comes down to the laundry

Go back a week. Remember that hit Max Pac put on McDonagh from the Rangers? I didn't think it was all that bad, but right away some Bruins fans were saying how it was dirty and he should be suspended. Like....please

Now you flip that. Lets say it was Lucic in place of Max? How do you think certain Habs fans would react? Hell, the comments section on TSN would have gone Thermal Nuclear

Just the nature of it all, I guess

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Unfortunately embelishment is part of the game now because it works. Who doesn't think you are more likely to get a high sticking call if you snap your head back and look for blood.

On the diving it would be interesting to know how effective the act of embelishment is. l know I have seen many players take themselves out of dangerous plays for the opportunity at a 20 percent chance of scoring in the next 2 minutes. I think it's better to play through and let the chips fall where they may.

skule123

Mar 24, 2008
I think he's a gamesmanship complainer. He does it when he's going to face a team later that might be a threat to their team succeeding. So he pulls it out for a divisional rival during the regular season or during the playoffs.

Or when he needs to deflect from something, like losing to a rival that was using its backup on a back to back when they were rested.

My theories are that it's red meat for the hardcore fanbase (so some combination of theatre and marketing - like cutting a pro-wrestling promo to sell the product) or bitterness over being fired many years back.

Those are two very different motives, yes.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Honestly, at least he's consistent. I don't like him but seeing stuff like:

"Moen refuses to fight when habs are up 2-1, *****"

then

"Mcquaid did't fight for the team when they were up 3-2, kept his emotions in check, team player"

is an example of switching your stance. We do it too obviously. I'm just pointing out an example that's easier to relate to.

If habs whine, they didn't show it. Chara jumped Emelin and instead of habs cashing it in in supposed fear they crashed the net, they scored 2 goals and won the game.

At the end however, Julien decided to blow off some steam and vent. At the end of the day, yes Emelin's crosscheck was controversial but Julien made it out to be an excuse for Chara having to do what he did. Nope. Julien just wants bruins to get away with it next time so they can control the game and play their way.

Julien is more frustrated at the horrible officiating of late. I went to the game Saturday against Tampa, and god was it horrible, both ways. Generally it has been going against the Bruins far more than in favor of the B's lately. Especially Lucic; anytime he hits anyone he is getting a penalty. It's becoming a joke. So sure, he was ticked off at how the officials botched last night, but this rant was about far more than just that game.

I actually wish Julien would let the refs have it once in a while, he never does anything but cross his arms and say nothing. It's refreshing to finally see him make a statement like this. So long as it doesn't happen regularly it isn't really that bad.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Julien is more frustrated at the horrible officiating of late. I went to the game Saturday against Tampa, and god was it horrible, both ways. Generally it has been going against the Bruins far more than in favor of the B's lately. Especially Lucic; anytime he hits anyone he is getting a penalty. It's becoming a joke. So sure, he was ticked off at how the officials botched last night, but this rant was about far more than just that game.

I actually wish Julien would let the refs have it once in a while, he never does anything but cross his arms and say nothing. It's refreshing to finally see him make a statement like this. So long as it doesn't happen regularly it isn't really that bad.

Someone on your board posted that Julien's teams are terrible when it comes to PP vs PK differentials.

I posted the differentials here:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=60923469&postcount=54

It includes julien's PP opportunities as given by another poster.

Maybe it's the way Julien's teams play. No idea.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Wow.

I think I just saw a pig zip by my 5th story apartment.

Despite the fact that he did still say we embellish (but nothing about the bruins doing that), this is like Milbury getting sober again. Amazing. I am speechless. Thus, I am typing.

I'm amazed at JUST how awful their media is. We have guys trying to crap on the team all the time and they just have this dogmatic (I know SouthernHab doesn't want us to get political, but there's no denying that FOX has an agenda, they've even admitted it - whether correct or not) propaganda machine that cannot observe their own flaws. If this team and most of its fans and media were a person, they would be labeled a psychopath.

way to go, Mike! (Still can't believe it was HIM of all people)

PricePkPatch*

Officiating has been horrible overall. It ebbs and flows on both ways; some nights you're gonna have it going your way, other nights it's against you.

Yesterday's officiating was disastrous for both teams. I hardly see what Julien was so mad about; there's been quite a number of infractions commited by the Bruins that should have been punished and were totally ignored. Just because the Habs don't make a big fuss everytime the Bruins do something dirty doesn't mean something dirty didn't happened.

Lucic boarding on Subban
McQuaid unsportsmanlike conduct
the Highsticking to Pacioretty

are just the 3 most blatant examples of blown calls

matt77

Feb 27, 2013
That is sooooo stupid, I dare Mike Felger to put some skates on and try to stay stand still after a goon like Shawn Thornton smash him in the boards.

This guy have no idea what he's talking about. Embellishing my a**, this isn't soccer.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal

You know what? Referees have been bad for Montreal and 28 other teams this season. That's why complaining to the media makes him look childish and unable to man up in defeat. I swear, the Bruins have cried to the media about diving for as long as I can remember. No wonder Marchand feels free to trashtalk in the media when the coach looks like a sore loser in front of the cameras.

And I'm still wondering what was so bad about the referees last night. Sure, they missed calls for both sides. I've seen way worse this season...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad