Mike Milbury (!) defends Canadiens against Bruins propaganda

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Forever, Montreal had goons. Difference being: the team in general never acted so arrogantly by using goonery. In the 70's, John Wensink promised to KILL (yes, yes, children, KILL) Guy Lafleur. In the 80's same stuff from the illustrious Miller. From all the years I remember as a hockey fan (and that is since the early 70's), the Bruins have always epitomized goonery AND rough play. Like today, the early 70's team also had a glut of talent (Orr, Park, Espo, Bucyk, Ratelle, etc.). But they had their fair share of cro-magnons. And their coaches were inclined to play the card often against what was considered softer teams, like Buffalo. Montreal had the tools to respond because they had talented players who could fight: Savard, Robinson to name a couple.

The only episode during which Montreal responded 'eye for an eye' to Boston was when Perron was coaching and, after a drubbing, he asked Savard to get him a 'supposed' goon. Savard reacted by signing a bodybuilder name Baron. He looked foolish, the experiment lasted a couple of weeks. Hehehe. Harry Sinden then went on a rant, calling the Habs organisation a 'disgrace', a 'far cry from the classy Montreal Canadiens organisations of past'. That was pretty ironic to say the least. Anyways, it didn't last long: Perron got fired and Burns came in. At that time, Boston had Montreal's number (I'd say Patrick Roy's number). It took the return of a somewhat high flying team to put everything back to normal in the end of the 90's and in the 2000's.

Face it, Montreal fans, Boston will never change. And it's ok that way. You need vilains in sports. Boston will always ask for a blue collar, hard-working, in-your-face type of team. While in Montreal, high flying, fast skating and great puck possession teams are what is in our veins. And that's what we have been longing for...for decades now. This team is the closest to what I saw in the past.

Well there were other episodes. Episode that Mario Tremblay loves to tell that I don't particularly remember. Said that in the days of the broad street bullies who were intimidating everybody, Habs went to Philly for a preseason game. And brought with them every goon they had from their farm team and the ones they already had with them. Obviously the game turned into a fight fest. And for Tremblay, that's the day where Philly felt that they couldn't intimidate everybody, especially not the Habs and their "success" ended around that same date. So it worked, and personnally...I have no problem with that whatsoever. It had to be done hence the end-result.

And as far as your last sentence, while I usually agree with you a whole lot, I can't disagree more. I still don't see the great mix of grit and skills amongst this team. Prust is a start, White could handle his own. But that's it. Back in the days, we had heavyweights. We destroyed guys in fights, in checks and in scoring. We might be going towards that. But there are ways to go. But I understand it doesn't happen overnight. We were slowed down by the past managements and now we need another direction.

Here's Normand Baron...;)

NB2007-018.jpg

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I can't believe you guys swallowed the crap that was on that clip!

That's American TV. I'll bet you dollars to donuts before they shot that segment they drew lots as to who would play which role. Mad Mike lost and had to play the part of the anti-homer. You can see it on all three faces. They were having a hard time keeping a straight face. Some of you guys are so gullible.

Did you forget it wasn't even a month ago Mad Mike called out Patches for getting chomped on by a famished Grabovsky?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Forever, Montreal had goons. Difference being: the team in general never acted so arrogantly by using goonery. In the 70's, John Wensink promised to KILL (yes, yes, children, KILL) Guy Lafleur. In the 80's same stuff from the illustrious Miller. From all the years I remember as a hockey fan (and that is since the early 70's), the Bruins have always epitomized goonery AND rough play. Like today, the early 70's team also had a glut of talent (Orr, Park, Espo, Bucyk, Ratelle, etc.). But they had their fair share of cro-magnons. And their coaches were inclined to play the card often against what was considered softer teams, like Buffalo. Montreal had the tools to respond because they had talented players who could fight: Savard, Robinson to name a couple.

The only episode during which Montreal responded 'eye for an eye' to Boston was when Perron was coaching and, after a drubbing, he asked Savard to get him a 'supposed' goon. Savard reacted by signing a bodybuilder name Baron. He looked foolish, the experiment lasted a couple of weeks. Hehehe. Harry Sinden then went on a rant, calling the Habs organisation a 'disgrace', a 'far cry from the classy Montreal Canadiens organisations of past'. That was pretty ironic to say the least. Anyways, it didn't last long: Perron got fired and Burns came in. At that time, Boston had Montreal's number (I'd say Patrick Roy's number). It took the return of a somewhat high flying team to put everything back to normal in the end of the 90's and in the 2000's.

Face it, Montreal fans, Boston will never change. And it's ok that way. You need vilains in sports. Boston will always ask for a blue collar, hard-working, in-your-face type of team. While in Montreal, high flying, fast skating and great puck possession teams are what is in our veins. And that's what we have been longing for...for decades now. This team is the closest to what I saw in the past.

Actually Roy always had trouble against the Bruins.

Secondly, in their best days the Habs had a great mix of skills and grit. They would never have gone through Boston without Robinson, Savard, Bouchard, Risebrough, Tremblay and all these guys.

Then there was the team in the 80s where the fighters were Nilan and Kordic but more importantly they had size all throughout the roster and they were hard to play against. They had maybe only one small forward and it was Mats Naslund.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
To be fair, Neely barely said a thing. Guy baited him several times and he was very professional.

I didn't call Neely a dbag for his comments.. :) Couldn't stand the guy when he played and dislike him even more now after constantly seeing him in the booth during the Bruins cup run.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
NESN with a good article on the Habs

Yes, really

http://nesn.com/2013/03/players-lik...ing-canadiens-to-return-to-conferences-elite/

Montreal’s roster overhaul has been gradual, but a couple of recent additions seem to stand out. Take a guy like Brandon Prust for example. Prust came to Montreal this past offseason after spending three seasons with the Rangers playing a physical, defensive brand of hockey. He’s already turning into a leader of sorts for the Habs, and he didn’t waste any time proving that he would do whatever it would take to earn the backing of his teammates, like when he fought during his first shift with the club. He was at it again on Sunday night as well. Prust was able to get Milan Lucic to drop the gloves with him, and while he did take a pretty good beating from the Boston big guy, Prust took Lucic off the ice for five minutes in the process. He also blocked a couple of shots, registered three hits and played a very workman-like 14:39 for the Habs.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Stop referring to it as a Jon Stewart rant. It's a montage. As if The Daily Show cares about NHL hockey or the Bruins :laugh:

I thought I could sell it to a few people at least, but thanks for calling it out so early. I personally started laughing so loud right from the start. :laugh:

I watched the daily show and the Colbert report for a period of time and I thought those who made the vid made a phenomenal job making it look good. Dont know if you have ever seen the daily show the day dick cheney shot a guy in the face but if you havent, its a must see. Ed Elms and Cordry really add a lot of fun to the table as well.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Never disliked Neely, Feldger is quite a dumbass, what a mess this guy is, hard to believe he's a grown adult.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Never heard of Felger before a couple of days ago but everything that I've seen of him he's absolutely awful.

As for Neely, I had zero problem with anything he said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad