Mike Milbury (!) defends Canadiens against Bruins propaganda

Apr 28, 2010
holy crap milbury! whatever it is you've been eating, keep eating it! lol he's finally saying all the right things.

Mynameismark*

Also, Bruins love to project this image of themselves as being noble and always standing up for the good of the game. Edwards continually expresses this in his broadcasts...like they dont do anything bad till you"poke the bear".....they're just as cheap and dirty as any other team out there.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Don't try and label us all. I wouldn't want a team like that, **** that, and call me a homer if you want. Imagining Marchand/Lucic/Horton/Ference/McQuaid/Thornton desecrating the CH...*puke*...no thank you, sir. Sure I take Chara on my team anyday, but not a chance I ever want to see us become the Bruins, delivering cheap shot after cheap shot and playing a goon-style of hockey instead of real hockey.

I'd rather have an honourable team with character than a dirty team with a bunch of fake-tough guys.

I will remain disgusted the rest of my life that we choked in Game 4 of the 2011 ECQF and let them win the Cup. Disgusted. We failed hockey that day and that series. Failed. And we should embarrassed we did.

Thing is, I will always believe that we'd see it with a different eye. We hated goon hockey and then loved the Laraque acquisition asking for a fight every single day. Loved the Staubitz acquisition asa it gave us some moral victories. I know, I loved Chris Nilan. I loved to see Kordic fighting. And I loved Claude Lemieux despite his antics. So you are right. I can't speak for everyone. My "bet" is that a majority of us would clearly not mind it as we'd see it differently than we're seeing it now 'cause it's our enemy who has that identity. We'd have some pretty tough borderline dirty players in our franchise, from Chelios to Corson to Lemieux to Nilan to Tremblay and I NEVER had any problems seeing them wear that CH. Not that long ago, WE were the perfect mix between skills and grit. Houle killed it. And Gainey didn't feel the need for it which was an incredibly mistake mostly based on the fact that he HAD to know the recipe for success based on the teams he played in.

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
Don't try and label us all. I wouldn't want a team like that, **** that, and call me a homer if you want. Imagining Marchand/Lucic/Horton/Ference/McQuaid/Thornton desecrating the CH...*puke*...no thank you, sir. Sure I take Chara on my team anyday, but not a chance I ever want to see us become the Bruins, delivering cheap shot after cheap shot and playing a goon-style of hockey instead of real hockey.

I'd rather have an honourable team with character than a dirty team with a bunch of fake-tough guys.

I will remain disgusted the rest of my life that we choked in Game 4 of the 2011 ECQF and let them win the Cup. Disgusted. We failed hockey that day and that series. Failed. And we should embarrassed we did.

I do know what you mean, but I also think you're a bit over the top. Marchand is a little rat, but not too different than what Gallagher could become -- and I mean that in a good way. McQuaid would have a place on my team. So would Lucic and probably Thornton. Ference too can play like a little rat, but if he were on my team, I would salute his experience and craftiness.

Horton, though, I find to be a fraud. That's a guy I would not take on my team, at least not for the cost that his reputation brings.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Wow, Milbury embarrassed that loser. How much of a pathetic dip **** do you have to be to have Mike Milbury knock your dick in the dirt?

Nashy

Living on Fish Island
Feb 2, 2006
Toronto
Holy ****...is the earth still spinning on it's axis?

Mike Milbury defending the Habs...?

Just when you think you've seen it all.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Funny how the most sensible writing about the game from the Bruins side was produced by a blog:

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2013/3/4/4063136/in-praise-of-alexei-emelin-difference-maker

Kudos to this site, and I'd buy the author a beer at a game anytime.

Reading the comments below, I STILL see the inferiority complex over NYC. Unbelievable. Bostonians, please, stop it: your city is solid, but it's NOT NYC. It never will be as great, nor as interesting. NYC is IT. Not Boston. Solid city, I repeat, just like Montreal. But not IT. Damn, they really can't get over their complex.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Forever, Montreal had goons. Difference being: the team in general never acted so arrogantly by using goonery. In the 70's, John Wensink promised to KILL (yes, yes, children, KILL) Guy Lafleur. In the 80's same stuff from the illustrious Miller. From all the years I remember as a hockey fan (and that is since the early 70's), the Bruins have always epitomized goonery AND rough play. Like today, the early 70's team also had a glut of talent (Orr, Park, Espo, Bucyk, Ratelle, etc.). But they had their fair share of cro-magnons. And their coaches were inclined to play the card often against what was considered softer teams, like Buffalo. Montreal had the tools to respond because they had talented players who could fight: Savard, Robinson to name a couple.

The only episode during which Montreal responded 'eye for an eye' to Boston was when Perron was coaching and, after a drubbing, he asked Savard to get him a 'supposed' goon. Savard reacted by signing a bodybuilder name Baron. He looked foolish, the experiment lasted a couple of weeks. Hehehe. Harry Sinden then went on a rant, calling the Habs organisation a 'disgrace', a 'far cry from the classy Montreal Canadiens organisations of past'. That was pretty ironic to say the least. Anyways, it didn't last long: Perron got fired and Burns came in. At that time, Boston had Montreal's number (I'd say Patrick Roy's number). It took the return of a somewhat high flying team to put everything back to normal in the end of the 90's and in the 2000's.

Face it, Montreal fans, Boston will never change. And it's ok that way. You need vilains in sports. Boston will always ask for a blue collar, hard-working, in-your-face type of team. While in Montreal, high flying, fast skating and great puck possession teams are what is in our veins. And that's what we have been longing for...for decades now. This team is the closest to what I saw in the past.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
I do know what you mean, but I also think you're a bit over the top. Marchand is a little rat, but not too different than what Gallagher could become -- and I mean that in a good way. McQuaid would have a place on my team. So would Lucic and probably Thornton. Ference too can play like a little rat, but if he were on my team, I would salute his experience and craftiness.

Horton, though, I find to be a fraud. That's a guy I would not take on my team, at least not for the cost that his reputation brings.

Linesman, Milbury himself, Markwhart...the Bruins always had rats. It's part of their signature. And I like that. Plus, this time around they have a lot of talent too.

HabsFan1689

Jan 27, 2013

QFT. This is one of the best posts I've ever read on hfboards. Thank you.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Forever, Montreal had goons. Difference being: the team in general never acted so arrogantly by using goonery. In the 70's, John Wensink promised to KILL (yes, yes, children, KILL) Guy Lafleur. In the 80's same stuff from the illustrious Miller. From all the years I remember as a hockey fan (and that is since the early 70's), the Bruins have always epitomized goonery AND rough play. Like today, the early 70's team also had a glut of talent (Orr, Park, Espo, Bucyk, Ratelle, etc.). But they had their fair share of cro-magnons. And their coaches were inclined to play the card often against what was considered softer teams, like Buffalo. Montreal had the tools to respond because they had talented players who could fight: Savard, Robinson to name a couple.

The only episode during which Montreal responded 'eye for an eye' to Boston was when Perron was coaching and, after a drubbing, he asked Savard to get him a 'supposed' goon. Savard reacted by signing a bodybuilder named Baron. He looked foolish, the experiment lasted a couple of weeks. Hehehe. Harry Sinden then went on a rant, calling the Habs organisation a 'disgrace', a 'far cry from the classy Montreal Canadiens organisations of past'. That was pretty ironic to say the least. Anyways, it didn't last long: Perron got fired and Burns came in. At that time, Boston had Montreal's number (I'd say Patrick Roy's number). It took the return of a somewhat high flying team to put everything back to normal in the end of the 90's and in the 2000's.

Face it, Montreal fans, Boston will never change. And it's ok that way. You need vilains in sports. Boston will always ask for a blue collar, hard-working, in-your-face type of team. While in Montreal, high flying, fast skating and great puck possession teams are what is in our veins. And that's what we have been longing for...for decades now. This team is the closest to what I saw in the past.

Ha ha, Normand Baron, good times :laugh:

He was actually a weightlifter. If I recall correctly, he once lifted a guy over his head and threw him over the board/glass in the minors. Imagine a player doing this to Marchand in 2013? :D

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
For those who compare Gallagher to Marchand, and use that as a basis for saying that we would like to have Marchand on the team...

There is a HUGE difference between the two of them, and it is summed up in one word: Character.

Gallagher really seems like an honest, hardworking, fearless kid with no ulterior motives or 'malevolent' intentions during games. Marchand is dirty, disrespectful, would never take a beating like Gallagher does to get to the net and he, like his coach, likes to whine to the media.

Some folks say that character is overrated, and would snivel at those who think it's worth something, but I, for one, will cheer for a guy like Gallagher and would refuse to cheer for a guy like Marchand even though the two are expected to play in similar manners.

Last edited:

Davebo*

C'mon Hab fans let this story go. The habs won fair an square and the bruin fans know it, Claude was wrong yesterday.

Clod gets to run his mouth at will and bad mouth our team without some sort of come back? I don't think so!

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
C'mon Hab fans let this story go. The habs won fair an square and the bruin fans know it, Claude was wrong yesterday.

Claude said that our team got 100 PP this season through embellishment. That's show disrespect to our team. Unforgivable.:shakehead

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
He's like a little kid arguing on the playground, does he actually believe the ******** he's spewing? And props to Milbury, I've never liked him but he just went up a notch in my books.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Woah

Jack Edwards ‏@RealJackEdwards

Doesn't it hurt? It ought to. But that's what makes rivalries great. Don't wash out the wound. Give MTL full marks. Habs earned win.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Woah

Jack Edwards ‏@RealJackEdwards

Doesn't it hurt? It ought to. But that's what makes rivalries great. Don't wash out the wound. Give MTL full marks. Habs earned win.

Mind = blown

28ldpvt.gif

MicroFracture

Jan 1, 2009
Trois-Rivieres

Yeah, I'm not sure the ''Bruins fans know it'', last I checked we supposedly won because we're a bunch of divers and the refs are on our side. That's what it always is in Bruins mythology. :laugh:

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Not sure what Felger is saying actually makes the Bruwhines look better. It must really sting when your team of tough guys gets beaten on the score sheet at home by a team of "******".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad