Confirmed with Link: Michael Del Zotto signs 2-year contract ($3.875 AAV) (7/16/2015)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gudas is definitely not playing for sure. The only way he plays is if they make no more moves and Schenn gets benched, which I don't see happening. It is even less likely that BOTH Gudas and Schenn are playing if everyone is healthy. There just isn't room. I think at the end of the day, Schenn gets dealt and Gudas is #7. Morin, Ghost, Sanheim, or Provorov gets the last starting spot.

Streit-MDZ
AMac-Medvedev
Schultz-Rookie
Gudas

So you're basing you're proclamation off of the indisputable FACT that a rookie is going to make the team out of camp?

There is literally no evidence to back that up, so saying Gudas is definitely not playing is a bit premature.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Gudas has never played a game as a flyer and hasn't played since having a pretty significant knee injury. I doubt the flyers have any other plans then a 7 d who subs in when needed at this point. he is not a upgrade to Schenn other then his price tag (which isn't a issue at this point of off season). If a rookie doesn't make the team, which isn't in the plans until camp, then Schenn should stay until someone over pays.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So you're basing you're proclamation off of the indisputable FACT that a rookie is going to make the team out of camp?

There is literally no evidence to back that up, so saying Gudas is definitely not playing is a bit premature.

You're talking to the guy who insisted that Pronger would not be traded. :laugh:

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Gudas has never played a game as a flyer and hasn't played since having a pretty significant knee injury. I doubt the flyers have any other plans then a 7 d who subs in when needed at this point. he is not a upgrade to Schenn other then his price tag (which isn't a issue at this point of off season). If a rookie doesn't make the team, which isn't in the plans until camp, then Schenn should stay until someone over pays.

Again, based off what exactly? A traffic cone can play better defense than Luke Schenn.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I'll take Gudas over Schenn. He knows his limitations. He knows his strengths and weaknesses. He will keep it simple, play extremely physical and make an adequate first pass; whereas Schenn still can't get over the fact that he isn't a good enough skater to live up to his draft projections. When you factor in salary, it's not even close. Hextall would be better served trading the #6 defensemen making $3.6 million and replacing him with a similar #6 defensemen making $600K. There's no way Hexy is comfortable being just $400K below the cap.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I'll take Gudas over Schenn. He knows his limitations. He knows his strengths and weaknesses. He will keep it simple, play extremely physical and make an adequate first pass; whereas Schenn still can't get over the fact that he isn't a good enough skater to live up to his draft projections. When you factor in salary, it's not even close. Hextall would be better served trading the #6 defensemen making $3.6 million and replacing him with a similar #6 defensemen making $600K. There's no way Hexy is comfortable being just $400K below the cap.

Well, you can add Manning's $625K to the existing cap space because he'll certainly be waived and sent down.

When I look it up on a couple sites, I get projected cap space of $583,333 + $625,000 for Manning = $1,208,333 in cap space with 13 F, 7 D and 2G.

Given you have an extra F and and extra D, this should be fine for short term injuries not requiring replacements and $1.2MM in cap space.

Luke Schenn is not as bad a player as is often portrayed here. The problem Hexy is going to have is that no one is likely to trade for him now, when they can probably sign Franson or another UFA for the same money and lock them up for a few years, whereas Luke is an expiring contract and would be better dealt at the deadline if they aren't reupping him.

My bigger issue now is that Laughton isn't on the roster. If Hexy can find a way to get rid of Vinny, we'll be all set to bring up Laughton, who deserves to be on the team.

We'll have to see what other magic Hexy has up his sleeve.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

Gudas knows his limitations and will play a simple game? Based on what?

Have you seen him play or spoken to Bolts fans?

Often caught out of position attempting big hits and makes horrible pinches. He is a down grade from Schenn

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014

Often caught out of position attempting big hits and makes horrible pinches. He is a down grade from Schenn

This is exactly what I have heard from big time bolts fans. They said he was one of those guys people liked because of his highlight hits and warrior like appearance but once you get past that he was a dime a dozen. I have heard that he doesn't handle the puck well at all and is very slow (Grossman like). Reminds me a lot of lauridsen when he first came up with all the hype. If you had two unbiased fans rating Gudas and Schenn skills I guarantee Schenn wins every time. I understand the whole contract thing but neither are in the future plans (Schenn walks next year) and with the d so mediocre as it is that we need every slight upgrade they can get.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Yes.

Simple game meaning he won't over-handle the puck leading to egregious turnovers, which Schenn is notorious for.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Yes.

Simple game meaning he won't over-handle the puck leading to egregious turnovers, which Schenn is notorious for.

I understand what simple game means but Gudas doesn't do that.
He makes bad pinches, and is caught out of position looking for a big hit.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The main part to focus on is that he's paid a lot less than Schenn. I'll take cheap and bad over expensive and slightly better.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
The main part to focus on is that he's paid a lot less than Schenn. I'll take cheap and bad over expensive and slightly better.

If your talking long term then I agree but we aren't using the extra cap space this year, and I don't think Schenn or Gudas are I the future plans useless they over achieve like MDZ. Therefore I'll take slightly better this year in hopes that we will one or two more games

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
If your talking long term then I agree but we aren't using the extra cap space this year, and I don't think Schenn or Gudas are I the future plans useless they over achieve like MDZ. Therefore I'll take slightly better this year in hopes that we will one or two more games
I both agree and disagree. On one hand, you're right in that we don't need the space right now, so regardless of overpayment, sticking with the better defenseman would be the way to go. On the other hand, having more cap space room might come in handy during the course of the season, since it influences what trades can be made. So in my mind it depends on what you're going for. If you're serious about contending, take the better player and don't bank of being able to make a potentially great trade at the trade deadline due to more cap room. But if you're not, then the slight downgrade (which I'm not convinced it is anyway) for the time being might be better.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Kidding right? Schenn has 0 hockey knowledge. Especially when it comes to moving the puck.

He's 100% serious.

Even if it was true, is that really something to hang your hat on? Third "best" puck mover on a team that was pretty terrible at moving the puck.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I both agree and disagree. On one hand, you're right in that we don't need the space right now, so regardless of overpayment, sticking with the better defenseman would be the way to go. On the other hand, having more cap space room might come in handy during the course of the season, since it influences what trades can be made. So in my mind it depends on what you're going for. If you're serious about contending, take the better player and don't bank of being able to make a potentially great trade at the trade deadline due to more cap room. But if you're not, then the slight downgrade (which I'm not convinced it is anyway) for the time being might be better.

I understand having available cap space to make deadline moves, but if you have both Gudas as a 6 and Schenn as a 7th like someone suggested then that's moot. all I'm saying is that If both guys are on the roster then Schenn should be playing over Gudas until proven other wise.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Last year LSchenn was used on the third pairing against 3rd and 4th lines. The only defensemen to face weaker opposition was Colaiacovo.

And if the Flyers want to have a full roster of 23, then they will need to make a move just to have enough cap space to call up a player from the Phantoms in case of short term injury.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Schenn was the best puck mover on the team last year besides Streit and MDZ. Gudas is a step down from him.

Saying someone is the "Best" after someone, doesn't work logically, especially when you're arguing that he's the 3rd best of the aforementioned.

And for the record, Luke Schenn is not the 3rd best puck mover on the Philadelphia Flyers. Maybe on the Lehigh Valley Phantoms... But no. Luke Schenn was awesome against the Rangers in the 2013-2014 playoffs. Those playoffs were about his only highlight in the Flyers crest, however, he's still young (and pretty brutal) but lets see what Hakstol can do with him. If he can't hack it, there is simply not enough room for him in an NHL Defensive rotation - you can draw your own conclusions.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I find it hard to believe that the people claiming Gudas is better with the puck have seem much of him.

It's crazy. people seem to have a crush for Gudas. I agree that he makes Schenn trade able because he fills similar role at discount price, but to think he is better is crazy. No one has seen him play post injury and under a flyers microscope. If he wasn't a RH id say that manning is more valuable then him

Last edited:

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Saying someone is the "Best" after someone, doesn't work logically, especially when you're arguing that he's the 3rd best of the aforementioned.

And for the record, Luke Schenn is not the 3rd best puck mover on the Philadelphia Flyers. Maybe on the Lehigh Valley Phantoms... But no. Luke Schenn was awesome against the Rangers in the 2013-2014 playoffs. Those playoffs were about his only highlight in the Flyers crest, however, he's still young (and pretty brutal) but lets see what Hakstol can do with him. If he can't hack it, there is simply not enough room for him in an NHL Defensive rotation - you can draw your own conclusions.

Best after the two that are universally thought of as very good at moving the puck.

The Schenn hate on this board is ridiculous. He isn't Grossmann. If we didn't get him from the JVR trade, everyone's opinions on him would be flipped upside down. Luke was a top pairing guy in his first year here (led team in TOI) and played very well alongside Timonen in that role. His first pass has always been good. His advanced stats suggest that he's a middle pairing guy, which I agree with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad