Confirmed with Link: Michael Del Zotto signs 2-year contract ($3.875 AAV) (7/16/2015)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
His advanced stats from last season show he was used as a #6 in ice time and in who he played against.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Best after the two that are universally thought of as very good at moving the puck.

The Schenn hate on this board is ridiculous. He isn't Grossmann. If we didn't get him from the JVR trade, everyone's opinions on him would be flipped upside down. Luke was a top pairing guy in his first year here (led team in TOI) and played very well alongside Timonen in that role. His first pass has always been good. His advanced stats suggest that he's a middle pairing guy, which I agree with.

Although my problems with Schenn stem more out of disappointment than anything (I actually own his TML jersey lol) I just cant see him resurrecting his career into anything but a 4th/5th/6th D-Man.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm sick of seeing the same guys that have contributed to these lousy defenses over the years. It's time for change (even if it doesn't result in much improvement). Schenn's one of those guys that can go & it shouldn't be difficult of doing so.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That was all on how Berube used him.

The average of his corsi for and against, his goals and primary assists/60 and the average of his goals for and against are all in the top four category. There are also all based on the impact he had on his linemates.

http://public.tableau.com/shared/6Y4STCYNB?:display_count=no

His stats were only that good because he got the 2nd easiest assignments. MDz's possession stats weren't higher with Schenn than Schultz because Schenn was a better dman. They were higher because Schenn faced 3rd and 4th liners for most of his ice time.

Colaiacovo had a much higher CF% than LSchenn or anyone else. Because he got the easiest minutes.

Last edited:

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I am not trying be rude or offended anyone but am I the only one who considers himself a big time hockey fan and doesn't look at advanced stats at all. And to those people who do follow them are they worth following or do the wreck the game to a certain point. I member before I did a lot of Internet stuff it seemed I was more loyal to players and didn't notice the flaws that others point out.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The QoC part is correct, I'll give you that. But, Schenn's GF/60 is also the highest amongst defenseman. Schenn and Streit were the only regular Flyer dmen to make it out of the season with a positive corsi.

But his GF% was 6th because his GA/60 is the lowest.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
But his GF% was 6th because his GA/60 is the lowest.

And his GA/60 was lowest because his OppSh% while he was on the ice was by far the highest.

You can chalk that up to Schenn and his "big mistakes" or you can chalk it up to luck. Either way, I think you'd be oversimplifying it. Not nearly enough context in this discussion, imo.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Again, I think you're oversimplifying a bit. Every defender on the team was on the ice for some pretty ugly goals against.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
It's crazy. people seem to have a crush for Gudas. I agree that he makes Schenn trade able because he fills similar role at discount price, but to think he is better is crazy. No one has seen him play post injury and under a flyers microscope. If he wasn't a RH id say that manning is more valuable then him

phh maybe, but he is shiny and new!

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Again, I think you're oversimplifying a bit. Every defender on the team was on the ice for some pretty ugly goals against.

And LSchenn was on the ice for more goals against per minute than any other defensemen despite getting easier match-ups than anyone but Colaiacovo. Over almost 60 games played that wasn't just bad luck.

Last edited:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I am not trying be rude or offended anyone but am I the only one who considers himself a big time hockey fan and doesn't look at advanced stats at all. And to those people who do follow them are they worth following or do the wreck the game to a certain point. I member before I did a lot of Internet stuff it seemed I was more loyal to players and didn't notice the flaws that others point out.

There is nothing wrong at all looking at stats and watching the game.

But there are times when stats don't lie. If said player gets easy minutes, lets in a ton of goals, while not providing any scoring, there is really no question they played bad. Even if there was an unknown injury, it doesnt mess with statistical results. I think it also gets people to like players more than just "their name looks cool" or if they did this sick move one time.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Luke, like Coburn, is "partner dependent."
That is, they can play well with the right partner who can cover for their limitations, but you don't want them to be the lead dog.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think MacDonald and LSchenn should be together if they both are on the team. They keep things simple and stable and don't accentuate each others weaknessess.

I don't like Del Zotto playing with Schenn. MDZ should be with a better skater and less mistake-prone defender who can cover for him when he gets caught pushing the play into the offensive zone. I won't pretend it's representative of the whole season, but look at the first NJ goal in the link I posted above. MDZ is caught up ice and is hustling back, but LSchenn ends up flat footed as Clowe enters the zone, and slowly steps up to make a hit after Clowe passes to Ryder who fires one home as Del Zotto is still trying to get his bearings.

[NHL]2014020006-79-ingame-h[/NHL]

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I think Luke, like Coburn, is "partner dependent."
That is, they can play well with the right partner who can cover for their limitations, but you don't want them to be the lead dog.

that was perfectly evident with Gus/L Schenn tag team..

shame cementhead couldnt see it...:rant::shakehead

those 2 guys really worked well as a linemates

Blooger Tron

Apr 21, 2015
Planet Vegeta
I think MacDonald and LSchenn should be together if they both are on the team. They keep things simple and stable and don't accentuate each others weaknessess.

I don't like Del Zotto playing with Schenn. MDZ should be with a better skater and less mistake-prone defender who can cover for him when he gets caught pushing the play into the offensive zone. I won't pretend it's representative of the whole season, but look at the first NJ goal in the link I posted above. MDZ is caught up ice and is hustling back, but LSchenn ends up flat footed as Clowe enters the zone, and slowly steps up to make a hit after Clowe passes to Ryder who fires one home as Del Zotto is still trying to get his bearings.

[NHL]2014020006-79-ingame-h[/NHL]

So
MDZ-Schultz
Streit-Medvedev
Amac-Schenn?

Is that what you are thinking for possible pairings this season?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So
MDZ-Schultz
Streit-Medvedev
Amac-Schenn?

Is that what you are thinking for possible pairings this season?

That looks fine assuming there are no more trades. You could also do MacDonald-Streit & Medvedev-LSchenn/Gudas. Without seeing Medvedev play it's hard for me to say where he will fit in.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
That looks fine assuming there are no more trades. You could also do MacDonald-Streit & Medvedev-LSchenn/Gudas. Without seeing Medvedev play it's hard for me to say where he will fit in.

Those are the pairings I'd like to see, given Provorov isn't kept up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad