Confirmed with Link: Michael Del Zotto signs 2-year contract ($3.875 AAV) (7/16/2015)

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
There is nothing wrong at all looking at stats and watching the game.

But there are times when stats don't lie. If said player gets easy minutes, lets in a ton of goals, while not providing any scoring, there is really no question they played bad. Even if there was an unknown injury, it doesnt mess with statistical results. I think it also gets people to like players more than just "their name looks cool" or if they did this sick move one time.

Is there a good starters website for advanced stats. Maybe I'll try and follow them this year. I am just worried that I'll watch numbers and start to dislike players because of them. I did that with baseball for a bit and it affected how I watched the game. I finally scrapped it.

As for pairings if like to see
Streit-Amac
MDZ-Schultz
Medvedev-Schenn

The wild card is Medvedev. Because I don't know anything about him I wonder if his style will mesh more with Schenn or MDZ. Those two guys are polar opposite so he should fall somewhere but more then likely not both. As for AMac I'm hoping he bounces back and finds his game with Striet. If not put Schultz back and Amac with Schenn.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I saw something surprising today, and maybe a little concerning.

MDZ played 467 of his 942 5 on 5 minutes with Gudas, and they put up a stellar 54.8 CF% despite getting 45.7% OZ starts. I don't have QoC numbers but they were usually used as the top pairing when they played together.

Without Gudas, MDZ dropped all the way down to 48 CF% even though his OZ start % was considerably higher at 49.8%. And I can't imagine the QoC he faced without Gudas was higher than with him.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1185&withagainst=true&season=2015-16&sit=5v5

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I saw something surprising today, and maybe a little concerning.

MDZ played 467 of his 942 5 on 5 minutes with Gudas, and they put up a stellar 54.8 CF% despite getting 45.7% OZ starts. I don't have QoC numbers but they were usually used as the top pairing when they played together.

Without Gudas, MDZ dropped all the way down to 48 CF% even though his OZ start % was considerably higher at 49.8%. And I can't imagine the QoC he faced without Gudas was higher than with him.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1185&withagainst=true&season=2015-16&sit=5v5

Well since Gudas hasn't had a reliable D partner aside from Del Zotto, we can just pair them back up together. Problem solved!

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Well since Gudas hasn't had a reliable D partner aside from Del Zotto, we can just pair them back up together. Problem solved!

why not? sounds good to me. all things considered...i think gudas has been good. hes still really young, like you said give him a reliable partner for an extended period and i think hes going to be great for us.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Probably, yeah. I just didn't expect the disparity to be so large.

Statistically Gudas is a hell of a guy to play with this year. He's the only thing keeping the heavily sheltered Manning from having the worst CF% on the defense.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Probably, yeah. I just didn't expect the disparity to be so large.

Statistically Gudas is a hell of a guy to play with this year. He's the only thing keeping the heavily sheltered Manning from having the worst CF% on the defense.

As in worst in the league??

Id be all for the Flyers starting next season with:

Del Zotto-Gudas
MacDonald-Ghost
Provorov-Streit

Schultz

Or

Del Zotto-Ghost
MacDonald-Streit
Provorov-Gudas

Schultz

RJ8812*

As in worst in the league??

Id be all for the Flyers starting next season with:

Del Zotto-Gudas
MacDonald-Ghost
Provorov-Streit

Schultz

Or

Del Zotto-Ghost
MacDonald-Streit
Provorov-Gudas

Schultz

That will most likely be it. I could see Schultz getting traded this summer though, but our top-6 D going into next year will most likely be Del Zotto, Gostisbehere, Streit, Provorov, MacDonald and Gudas. Streit will probably get moved by next year's deadline and someone like Sanheim or even Morin could get their feet wet in the NHL by the end of next season.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I definitely expect Morin to get into NHL games next season. I see Sanheim as more doubtful, but it would depend on if a puck-moving defensemen was injured or a stay-at-home/PKer.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
#FreeMDZ

MacDonald needs to sit. It's an absolute joke that Del Zotto is in the press box.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's not really that much of a joke. He has been a mess defensively and bleeding goals against. He's scoring at a great rate, but much like Streit is scoring, it's rather hollow. I'd rather he score less and find his trusty 2-way game again. Just last season, he led Flyers D in TOI by almost 2 minutes per game. He WAS their #1 all-around defenseman. He's been a far cry from that this year in a very small sample. I disagree with the scratching because I think that guy is still in there and just needs some time and confidence, but it isn't without merit.

The 3-game scratching earlier was one thing. It was punitive, but more as a means to recollect himself. Only a handful of games later he gets scratched again? The message was already sent. You don't send messages back-to-back like this to a veteran player. This one felt like Hakstol saying a lineup without MDZ, right now's version, gives them a better chance to win. And he's probably not playing next game unless Hakstol had a problem with Manning's game. Probably more barring someone imploding.

Now, personally, we've seen what a healthy and mentally-on Del Zotto can do. He can be a 2-way, top 4 d man able to be deployed under any usage. He'd form a helluva top 4 with Provorov, Gudas, and Ghost. He blows MacDonald (who has been better of late), Streit, and Manning out of the water. I don't think it's the injury at this point. He was strong in pre-season, then strong in his return, then just fell off in a big way. It's all in his head. Does being scratched again, for what could be a decent stretch, help that? No, I'd say, and it might even further hurt his game if his confidence diminishes further. He's had a rough 9 or so game stretch after not much hockey the last 9 months....9-10 game does not a season make. Whatever it is, he needs to keep playing, keep watching tape, get coaching help, and work the kinks out. The reward is too great, whether it's here or as a trade chip.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Don't need to forget Del Zotto missed a lot of time and is still working his way back.

The last 4 or 5 games during the winning streak he has played fairly well in my opinion. Not flawless but still overall o.k. with occasional flashes of greatness, especially very accurate passing. He made a saucer pass cross ice in OT to Giroux the other night which Mac Donald or Manning will never ever be able to deliver on tape, let alone under pressure.

Hakstol sometimes really pisses me off with his tendency to pick the known mediocrity
over potential.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I can't stand that Hak only holds certain players accountable for their actions. Macdonald makes 10 ****** plays a night and is rewarded by playing on a line with provy and getting top minutes. Mdz makes much less and is glued to the bench. That's what is a joke.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I can't stand that Hak only holds certain players accountable for their actions. Macdonald makes 10 ****** plays a night and is rewarded by playing on a line with provy and getting top minutes. Mdz makes much less and is glued to the bench. That's what is a joke.

I'm starting to think its because 1) He knows MDZ is way better than this and he's trying to do what he can to get him going 2) He knows MacDonald is no better than this so benching him is doing nothing

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005

MacDud needs to play 40 games so he can be exposed to Vegas. So every other defenceman is going to have to sit until he reaches it.

But MDZ does need to get back to 2 way hockey. At the very least so he's worth more at the deadline.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

MDZ has been making horrible defensive plays all season while getting easy minutes with lots of OZ starts. That's why he's the worst possession dman on the team so far, and that's why he's been benched.

He's done a complete 180 from last season when he struggled to score but played against top players and was solid defensively.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
No he doesn't. He will still be exposed even if he doesn't play another game this season.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...ll-expansion-draft-rules-vegas-golden-knights

Streit-Gudas was a much better pairing last night than MDZ- Streit has been recently.

The only way they need to do this is if Manning is protected and there is like 1% chance of that happening. The only way that happens is if Hextall wants to maximize his protections and he's looking for a 3rd dman after Ghost/Gudas. MDZ is looking more and more like he's not coming back and if so, he'll be signed after the expansion draft possibly.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
MDZ has been making horrible defensive plays all season while getting easy minutes with lots of OZ starts. That's why he's the worst possession dman on the team so far, and that's why he's been benched.

He's done a complete 180 from last season when he struggled to score but played against top players and was solid defensively.
He's still been better than Macdonald and it isnt close..Macdonald has 18 'official' giveaways this year in 21 games compared to mdzs 5 in 13. I'm not saying mdz has been good but he's much much better than Macdonald but Macdonald seemingly gets away with his terrible play.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He's still been better than Macdonald and it isnt close..Macdonald has 18 'official' giveaways this year in 21 games compared to mdzs 5 in 13. I'm not saying mdz has been good but he's much much better than Macdonald but Macdonald seemingly gets away with his terrible play.

You're too biased to accurately evaluate their play this season. MacDonald got benched when he had bad games, then came back in and was better.

MDZ hasn't just been benched in favor of MacDonald, but in favor of Manning as well. That's how erratic his play has been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad