Confirmed with Link: Michael Del Zotto signs 2-year contract ($3.875 AAV) (7/16/2015)

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
You're too biased to accurately evaluate their play this season. MacDonald got benched when he had bad games, then came back in and was better.
He hasnt been better. Hes being propped up by the best defenseman on the team. He s still good for an awful turnover, a pass to nobody that ends up being an icing, and getting caught watching the puck instead of playing his man at least once a game. It's not biased to see that a "playing well" Macdonald is still not an everyday nhl defenseman. Provorov has single handily saved 4 goals that would of been macs fault off the top of my head in the last week or so. Just because he's not getting scored on doesnt mean he's been playing himself into an everyday role. You're like the boxcar for Macdonald :laugh:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He was playing well before being put on the top pairing with Provorov. You just can't admit it because you're so committed to the narrative that MacDonald should be in the AHL. So you cry about poor MDZ getting benched even though he had to play worse than MacDonald AND Manning to earn his spot off the ice. If MDZ was playing like he did last year he'd play every game and get 22 minutes, but he's not.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
He was playing well before being put on the top pairing with Provorov. You just can't admit it because you're so committed to the narrative that MacDonald should be in the AHL. So you cry about poor MDZ getting benched even though he had to play worse than MacDonald AND Manning to earn his spot off the ice.
Well macdonald should be in the ahl and i'd bet far more people agree with that statement than that he should be an everyday player. Playing well consists of constantly turning the puck over, making bad passes, and easily giving away the blue line? Sorry I have a little bit higher expectations for a nhl defenseman. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The defense still houses 3 poor Dmen right now. Manning/MacDonald are borderline 5/6's really. Streit, although had a good game, is pretty much done. MDZ's failures is really hurting right now. The way they are playing is unsustainable, they need to flip the ice back to their favor. Their D is not helping much aside from Ghost/Provorov/Gudas.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
There's no denying MDZ has been bad this season. Has he been worse than MacDonald? That's very debatable either way. I would say no. But regardless, MDZ has at least shown that he can be a VERY useful NHL defensemen whereas AMac has pretty much never been anything better than mediocre.

Seems obvious they should be focusing on getting MDZ back on track.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Between his struggles and the team winning, I think it just looks worse, but its more of a coincidence. Once they lose, he'll be back in over MacD or Manning.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Pairings and sides also come into it because MDZ can't play on the right. My preferred lineup would be this, but we need 15-16 MDZ back for the 2nd pairing to work.

Provy-Gudas
MDZ-Ghost
MacDonald/Manning-Streit

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Well macdonald should be in the ahl and i'd bet far more people agree with that statement than that he should be an everyday player. Playing well consists of constantly turning the puck over, making bad passes, and easily giving away the blue line? Sorry I have a little bit higher expectations for a nhl defenseman. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Except during this streak, he has been much better at defending the blue line. MDZ has been a disaster in his own zone.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Actually if you look at AMac's stats from last season after he came back to the Flyers through today, his play has been acceptable. Its not been great but its been acceptable. The speed that is p;laying in the NHL these days makes it difficult for slower players on the back end especially. At least AMac can keep up with the pace of the game. At times, Manning and Streit struggle in this area. Obviously Provorov, Ghost and Gudas don't. MDZ can as well when he gets his head out of his @$$.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Between his struggles and the team winning, I think it just looks worse, but its more of a coincidence. Once they lose, he'll be back in over MacD or Manning.

Manning has been playing much better than expected, but not much was expected. He's satisfied his gmaes needed to be expansion eligible, now he's actually earning his playing time.

MacD is still accruing time to be expansion eligible. After he gets his 40 games, if he remains on the team/in the line-up, that'll say more to his play than anything right now. MacD benefits more from his partner than he does his own play, still not a fan.

MDZ is having the bizzaro UFA season. Not sure what the problem is, but hopefully, for his sake, it's figured out soon.

Patience folks. The team couldn't score last year, they can this year, knee-jerk reaction is the team should be so much better. They are, but they aren't, because the defense is still a work-in-progress. Team is missing Couts, so there is room for improvement, which is exciting, but not a given. If Read, Weisse and Bellemare produce at ~30 - 25 point paces, then we'd have a reason to celebrate.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Mac is close to the 70 game mark already.

34 last year and 21 this season. So only 15 left.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
MDZ hasn't been consistent. He'll need to -- or he simply won't be resigned, or if he does, it won't be the contract he'd want. He really needs to find that nice spot he found for a time last year and show he can keep it up. Teams value consistency.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
When he is on the ice, he allows the 2nd fewest shot attempts. He must know how to defend something. And that's with playing over 200 minutes with MacDonald.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I wouldn't call Ghost terrible in the D-zone, but average at best is fair, he's good with the stick, but physically the weakest of our D-men and he makes some mind fart passes. He's certainly no Provorov!

Manning is a solid 3rd pair D-man, I think watching Provorov and Gudas our standards have risen back to the days of Kimmo and Coburn in their prime, the last couple years any decent D play was a cause for celebration.

MDZ is frustrating right now, but I'll give him another month to get back to where he should be, but unless he has a great finish, I don't see him back next year, when Sanheim and Morin come up, you have to play them, Hagg and Wilcox have a shot, so MDZ is your 6th D-man with guys pushing him. And Manning is more physical and gives you an edge for road games.

MacDonald is passable, if he was on a 3rd pair with the two top pairs playing 20+ minutes, no one would complain if he was being paid like Schultz. Because he'd be the equivalent of Schultz (moree offense, less defense), minute eating depth. But I'd keep Manning over him, Manning makes more mistakes, but provides the same offense and a lot more toughness.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
All he does is make up false complaints about Flyers players, he's definitely not going to help you out in any argument. :laugh:

No, I know, I absolutely know that :laugh::laugh::laugh: I meant that I would rather fight with Oilers fans than Flyers fans. Believe me, I understand exactly where you are coming from - but when I'm really happy or full of adrenaline, my natural softness softens further.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->