Confirmed with Link: Michael Del Zotto signs 2-year contract ($3.875 AAV) (7/16/2015)

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He plays either side like a lot of Euros. He is a lefty though.

I have not really focused on where he played when I have watched AK Bars games, but it seemed he was more often on the left.

Hextall went out of his way to mention that he could play the right side. Leads me to believe he will start there. I still think Schenn is the odd man out, but the pessimist in me says we have to watch him play another season.

In a vacuum, this is a fair deal. Just wish he were a little more flexible in the lineup. If he plays like he did last year, he's movable and if you have to eat some of the cap hit for a better return its a short term deal. If he plays like the year prior, we're SOL. They do need someone to move the puck on the backend this year. Streit isn't getting any younger and its tough to count on a teenager.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Here are the tweets I was thinking of from the draft:

Strehle actually seems to know a thing or two about the organization from a quick read of his recent feed. He maintained the entire time that a deal would get done with MDZ.

So if we take his word that the blueline will be "VERY" different, I think it's safe to assume we have another deal coming involving a returning defender.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I like it, Rico Suave played well for us last year. He's still young and has potential plus defenseman just get paid now a days. 2 years is good, AAV aint to bad.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
I'd like to see both him and Medvedev on the 2nd PP unit, MDZ would hopefully play Jakes spot and Medvedev would be on top of the umbrella.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I'd like to see both him and Medvedev on the 2nd PP unit, MDZ would hopefully play Jakes spot and Medvedev would be on top of the umbrella.

2nd unit has needed a distributer of the puck on the half boards. Gagner could possibly work in G's spot.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California

MDZ is most effective from the left circle, like where Ovi likes to be. Laughton should be in Jake's spot. He actually looked good in that spot in the limited time he got there.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
So overall.

Streit
MacDonald
Schultz
Schenn
MDZ
Medvedev

I'm pretty sure all 6 can skate, at least, average. Only person with speed is MDZ, that's going to be a problem.

Passing? Schenn is quite good, MDZ is good.

Shooting? Streit & MDZ are really the only ones good there.

Medvedev is an unknown, so I'm not going to mark him down at all for anything, for all I know he could be the best Dman on the team next year.

Funny thing is, how many times does MDZ come up with things he CAN do?

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Literally anything than just fill the line-up with rookies. What a horrible idea.

Lol, it was all said in jest. Take it easy man!

tumblr_nr4y2wE5u01ua8gdbo1_250.gif

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Take Luke out of the rotation and we might have the least physical defense in the league. Not that we have to worry about the playoffs but that D would get rag dolled.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
You have to imagine there is a plan here, Shultz and MDZ 2 year deals, Medvedev 2 or 1 i forget and lots of very smug comments about the blue line. I agree with the concept we cant bring them all up at once, but Hexy needs to start staggering their development. I could imagine he intends to have 1 of the 5 here this season and do what is needed for another 2 next year.

Having 3 d on ECLs is a lot but when you look at it Provorov is NHL ready, Ghost and Morin can make a strong case this year and Sanhiem is very close as well and will be looking to make a case next year.

2 will be NHL rookies, 1 will have a year under their belt. But at some point this year you will see Ghost, Morin and Hagg up here getting ready for the 2016 season. I think Provorov stays seeing as Ghost, Hagg and Morin can go to the AHL.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Take Luke out of the rotation and we might have the least physical defense in the league. Not that we have to worry about the playoffs but that D would get rag dolled.
Gudas is playing forsure and don't be surprized if Luke is here full time too. Every team has pop on their blueline just not skating.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Never said he was bad. I said he is meh. Which I stand by.

Easily replaceable, preferably by one of the kids.

Which kid do you want matched up against Staal, Johansen, Crosby, Tavares, Stepan, Jagr, Ovechkin and Crosby?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Gudas is playing forsure and don't be surprized if Luke is here full time too. Every team has pop on their blueline just not skating.

Gudas is definitely not playing for sure. The only way he plays is if they make no more moves and Schenn gets benched, which I don't see happening. It is even less likely that BOTH Gudas and Schenn are playing if everyone is healthy. There just isn't room. I think at the end of the day, Schenn gets dealt and Gudas is #7. Morin, Ghost, Sanheim, or Provorov gets the last starting spot.

Streit-MDZ
AMac-Medvedev
Schultz-Rookie
Gudas

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I still think the Flyers should just convert Del Zotto to a LWer. Win win. ;)

With the contract, though, I wouldn't be gobsmacked if Del Zotto got traded. Honestly, there isn't a single defenseman on the team right now whom I consider to be untradeable from the Flyers' POV; ie, around whom the future defense will be built.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
So overall.

Streit
MacDonald
Schultz
Schenn
MDZ
Medvedev

I'm pretty sure all 6 can skate, at least, average. Only person with speed is MDZ, that's going to be a problem.

Passing? Schenn is quite good, MDZ is good.

Shooting? Streit & MDZ are really the only ones good there.

Medvedev is an unknown, so I'm not going to mark him down at all for anything, for all I know he could be the best Dman on the team next year.

Funny thing is, how many times does MDZ come up with things he CAN do?

What about, you know, defense? That thing a defenseman is supposed to do?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have no issue with the MDZ contract. I love the 2 year term. I'm guessing we could have gotten a lower cap hit if we went 3 or 4 years but since we had the cap space, it made sense to go for the shorter term. If we waited for arbitration, he would gotten the same figure based on what Justin Schultz was awarded.

I would think the pairings will look something like this to start the season, but will change as things progress and other variables like injury, trades, struggles, etc are introduced to the equation.

Schultz-Streit
Del Zotto-Medvedev
MacDonald-Schenn/Gudas

Healthy Scratch: Schenn/Gudas

If we are out of the playoffs by the deadline, move Schultz and/or Streit for picks at the deadline.

If you can land a late 1st for Streit, bundle it with our pick to move up higher in the draft..or do what we did this year and bundle it with our 2nd to move up for second 1st rounder.

Defense after moving Schultz and Streit:

Del Zotto-Morin
Gostisbehere-Medvedev
MacDonald-Schenn/Gudas

..or something like that..to let the kids wet their beak for the following year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: