Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
The Totems was a ridiculous team name the first time around and it would be just as ridiculous now. The Metropolitans wouldn't work because it would be shortened to Mets, so they would need to just call themselves the Metros from the start if they want to go that route. Do something creative with your name instead of just trying to do all this regional stuff. Give the fans something cool to embrace that sounds unique and could actually lead to them having a cool logo, great merch and a notable mascot. Call 'em the Sasquatch for all I care, just don't use inanimate objects, the music scene, the weather or your location as the sole basis for creating a name. It's tired and it's boring.

I think we agree on pretty much everything that makes a good team name but your dislike of the Totems moniker is clouding your judgment. All the criteria you have for a great name actually fits the Totems to a T.

It's not a coincidence that so many sports teams use local themes. Regional names work. They fit because they connect with their intended audience and that's exactly what branding experts want. If you take a look around the NHL you'll notice the great majority of teams have regional themes. I count 21 NHL teams and Totems would hardly look out of place in the league.

Totems is an excellent name. It already connects with people from the Pacific Northwest and it has really good branding potential. Calling it ridiculous is silly. Totems is no different than Sabres, Blue Jackets, Maple Leafs, Red Wings etc. It's an inanimate object but it has infinite room for creativity and it is very unique. It would be extremely easy to come up with a great looking logo. I mean cmon... have you seen any of the original Totems jerseys? Those uniforms are bloody classics! If the Totems 1977 NHL expansion franchise wasn't aborted those uniforms would easily be in the top ten NHL uniforms of all time.

gmjevtwa

Oct 25, 2012
Everett, WA
I'd prefer the following nicknames:

Totems (previous Seattle hockey history)
Steelheads (state fish)
Salmon Kings (adopting the late-ECHL team's nickname from Victoria. In addition, Seattle is located in King County, Washington.)

Some other, arguably, questionable ideas:
Dragonflies (state insect: Green Darner Dragonfly)
Blue Herons (Seattle city bird)

Washington State symbols

Seattle city symbols

For entertainment purposes only.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Looking at the state symbols list only reminds me of how disappointed I am that the Nucks have a killer whale on their sweaters. If not for that, Seattle Orcas would be the front-runner in my books.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
You can pretty much guarantee that a NHL team will have a name that is connected to the region. Hell the oilers are named after the oil in that province

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
The Seattle NHL Facebook page posed several questions if you were to create a brand new team with young players around the league. Who would be on that team?

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Looks like this going down...sources in both cities stating deal is done, announcement Monday/Tuesday

“@ChrisDaniels5: BREAKING: Source tells me deal on Kings-to-#Seattle to be announced soon, perhaps as early as Monday/Tuesday. #NBAâ€

“@basketballtalk: Breaking: Deal between Maloof family, Seattle’s Chris Hansen for Sacramento Kings imminent http://t.co/dbrIY3pT #PBT #NBAâ€

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Looks like this going down...sources in both cities stating deal is done, announcement Monday/Tuesday

“@ChrisDaniels5: BREAKING: Source tells me deal on Kings-to-#Seattle to be announced soon, perhaps as early as Monday/Tuesday. #NBAâ€

“@basketballtalk: Breaking: Deal between Maloof family, Seattle’s Chris Hansen for Sacramento Kings imminent http://t.co/dbrIY3pT #PBT #NBAâ€

This is subject to NBA approval. KJ will probably attempt to get them to reject Seattle offer and only accept local group offer. (unethical and imoral as well as anti trust illegal)

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
"@WojYahooNBA: With sale finalized, NBA's Relocation Committee will approve Kings move to Seattle for next season, sources tell Y! "Formality," source says"

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
Congrats Seattle, you will have the NBA back, and get a new arena. Now how about Seattle and Quebec City being NHL expansion sister cities!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille