http://www.seattle.gov/arena/
http://www.king5.com/news/arena
http://www.sonicsarena.com/

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Hansen Group has plans to make Key Arena a viable interim option for an NHL team. This is the most specific info I have seen to date on Key improvements for the NHL. This thing is steaming ahead with a vote likely in August. Good news for Seattle NHL fans.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports/2012/06/22/keyarena-is-not-so-forgotten-stepchild-in-sodo-arena-plan/

Refinish of team and official locker rooms and other key BOH (back of house) areas.
Reconfiguration of event level space to create NHL and NBA team suites, with modern amenities and infrastructure.
Upgrade data and audio/visual backbones to bring the building to more modern standards.
Add a semi-permanent event level club.
Refinish a portion of lower bowl seats.
Renovate three lower level concessions concourses.
Remodel existing Champions Club.
Reconfigure sports lighting to NHL standards.
Add camera locations consistent with modern league standards.
Create NHL replay review room.
Refurbish ice making equipment.
Refurbish retractable seating sections.

POS (point of sale, or checking stands) fixed-position upgrades.
Refurbish fixed kitchen equipment.
Upgrade fixed bowl signage program.
Required life safety improvements

The Key refurb plan is obviously very focused on satisfying NHL temp facility requirements as best as possible.

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
It makes you wonder, we all know Gary Bettman's first (stated/public) priority is to keep the Coyotes in Glendale, however if that doesn't go through you wonder if he's trying to hold out long enough for Seattle to get ready?

SharksFan1978

Mar 29, 2012
It makes you wonder, we all know Gary Bettman's first (stated/public) priority is to keep the Coyotes in Glendale, however if that doesn't go through you wonder if he's trying to hold out long enough for Seattle to get ready?

I have wondered this myself on more than one occasion. If you believe the gloom and doom that some people are talking about then it very well could be that the NHL lose some chunk of this season, even if it's only four weeks or so. Bettman and Co. are definitely holding out for something, whether it's QC or Seattle, but I'd have to think they'd prefer to relocate to Seattle and EXPAND to QC because they could make so much more that way. These coming months could be very exciting for one of those cities, especially if expansion becomes a point in the CBA negotiations as a way of the players agreeing to cut back on their revenue percentage (or whatever it's called). Guess we'll see how this plays out!

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The fact that the Yotes seem to be poised to stay for at least one more year certainly is good news for Seattle's chances, as it effectively gives them more time to catch up to QC should the axe ever fall on that team's relocation block.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
So if people are to rate what are the top 5 teams that might move, who would those teams be?
I don't see 5 teams in that bad shape. The only current candidates (barring a major economic collapse) are Phoenix (beyond obvious) and the Islanders in 2015 (look Ma, no arena). Other teams that you hear about that are probably NOT moving are...
  • New Jersey - a so-so market that will do OK once the current arena debt is resolved, via chapter 11 if necessary
  • Florida/Miami - the owners make a profit overall on the team plus arena management contract. The management contract is contingent on the team being there, so they're not selling. Plus the lease has a penalty clause.
  • Columbus - the city has taken over the arena, and given the Blue Jackets a better deal, greatly reducing the red ink

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I have wondered this myself on more than one occasion. If you believe the gloom and doom that some people are talking about then it very well could be that the NHL lose some chunk of this season, even if it's only four weeks or so. Bettman and Co. are definitely holding out for something, whether it's QC or Seattle, but I'd have to think they'd prefer to relocate to Seattle and EXPAND to QC because they could make so much more that way. These coming months could be very exciting for one of those cities, especially if expansion becomes a point in the CBA negotiations as a way of the players agreeing to cut back on their revenue percentage (or whatever it's called). Guess we'll see how this plays out!

One thing is sure. If Coyotes stay one more year, Glendale doesn't seem to be ready to pay the losses for the next year.

So, a move to either Seattle or Quebec will be reflected in a roughly $40M increased price. You know NHL won't flush down $40M and still sell for $170M.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
So if people are to rate what are the top 5 teams that might move, who would those teams be?

Yotes and that's it at this point, imho.

Columbus just got an arena financing deal done, alleviating a lot of their structural financial issues.

New Jersey's issues are merely from owner problems and debt from the arena, not with the viability of a franchise in that market.

Florida isn't on the chopping block, despite what many have said in a million places, as they're an important part of an overall real estate development plan that is making money for their owners.

Isles look like they're more interested in biting the bullet and playing in Barclays over moving elsewhere. Plus, if memory serves, when discussions of Wang potentially selling have come up, there have been several interested parties in keeping them on Long Island, even if they move into the city itself.

Dallas is in an odd situation, but for the life of me I just don't see them moving.

So that really only leaves the Yotes for the foreseeable future, which is one of the reasons why I've often said that fans that want teams in QC or Seattle or Hamilton or Markham or KC or Houston or wherever better be hoping that the league is planning an expansion in the near future as is being rumored in a few circles, as that's likely their best and only chance for a long while.

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
Yotes and that's it at this point, imho.

Columbus just got an arena financing deal done, alleviating a lot of their structural financial issues.

New Jersey's issues are merely from owner problems and debt from the arena, not with the viability of a franchise in that market.

Florida isn't on the chopping block, despite what many have said in a million places, as they're an important part of an overall real estate development plan that is making money for their owners.

Isles look like they're more interested in biting the bullet and playing in Barclays over moving elsewhere. Plus, if memory serves, when discussions of Wang potentially selling have come up, there have been several interested parties in keeping them on Long Island, even if they move into the city itself.

Dallas is in an odd situation, but for the life of me I just don't see them moving.

So that really only leaves the Yotes for the foreseeable future, which is one of the reasons why I've often said that fans that want teams in QC or Seattle or Hamilton or Markham or KC or Houston or wherever better be hoping that the league is planning an expansion in the near future as is being rumored in a few circles, as that's likely their best and only chance for a long while.

Expansion is coming i am sure. When the news of the Mayor of Quebec City meeting with Bettman came out a few years ago, Daly and Bettman when they talked on TV and Radio said often that expansion is in the cards. I believe it will be a tool to use for the NHL in the next CBA talks.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

1. Coyotes
2. NY Islanders (when their lease expires)

Are the obvious ones.

3. Florida is always mentioned but their fans always pipe up saying they can't lose the team and keep the money generating operations fo the arena.

Dowisetrepla

Apr 29, 2009
Washington State
Expansion is also a potential way to help resolve the CBA dispute. Whatever the merits of adding teams and possibly diluting the product, creating 40+ more slots for players may be the carrot to get the union to agree to the owners getting a higher percentage of revenues.

adding 2 teams to create a 32 team league would also presumably simplify concerns over realignment

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Expansion is also a potential way to help resolve the CBA dispute. Whatever the merits of adding teams and possibly diluting the product, creating 40+ more slots for players may be the carrot to get the union to agree to the owners getting a higher percentage of revenues.

adding 2 teams to create a 32 team league would also presumably simplify concerns over realignment

While expansion can serve as a solution to some problems you gotta ask your self a question if it's the right solution. An expansion won't stop teams like Coyotes from bleeding money. It won't solve the upcoming Islanders arena issues, it won't pull out NJDevils out of potential BK...it could make things just worse.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Parking update

http://www.king5.com/news/cities/se...parking-near-Seattles-stadiums-160317455.html

Chris Daniels reports that the county council yesterday approved a deal with the stadium authority to allow public use of the Metro garage at 6th and Royal Brougham on game nights. More info is in the linked story. I'm guessing this parking will replace the existing north lot at Century Link, which is scheduled to be torn out for condos and such.

As a location primer for those not familiar with this area, this is a bit of a walk - three long blocks - from both Safeco and Century Link, and requires a crossing of busy 4th Avenue S.

Thoughts?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
http://www.king5.com/news/cities/se...parking-near-Seattles-stadiums-160317455.html

Chris Daniels reports that the county council yesterday approved a deal with the stadium authority to allow public use of the Metro garage at 6th and Royal Brougham on game nights. More info is in the linked story. I'm guessing this parking will replace the existing north lot at Century Link, which is scheduled to be torn out for condos and such.

As a location primer for those not familiar with this area, this is a bit of a walk - three long blocks - from both Safeco and Century Link, and requires a crossing of busy 4th Avenue S.

Thoughts?

Helps with the parking concern. 6th and Royal Brougham is near the stadium light rail station.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Thoughts?

Are those 3 blocks commercial, industrial or residential. It might not be that hard to park your ride a bit early, then walk slowly to the arena while stopping at a nice restaurant or bar for a dinner and a drink before the game.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Are those 3 blocks commercial, industrial or residential. It might not be that hard to park your ride a bit early, then walk slowly to the arena while stopping at a nice restaurant or bar for a dinner and a drink before the game.

Industrial, and I don't believe there's any sidewalks on Royal Brougham east of 4th, am I right on that, gstommylee?

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008

The parking garage is east of Safeco Field. Between Safeco Field and the garage is the rail tracks, a busy arterial, a block of transit operations, and the light rail line. Once at Safeco Field, there are plenty of bars along 1st Ave S. and along Occidental north of the ballpark. Pioneer Sq., a major bar/night spot is just north of CenturyLink Field.

East of the rail tracks is mainly industrial. But there are pockets of dining and retail. Many of the chain fast food joints are located along 4th Ave S. Filson's flagship store is across the rail tracks from the arena site. Outdoor Research's flagship store is also in the neighborhood as is Cutter & Buck (not sure if there is a store there).

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I asked in a previous thread about the Tacoma Dome being a temp venue and I was told that the ice making capability has been removed. I wonder is it easier to put in ice making capacity to the Tacoma Dome than whatever needs to be done in the Key Arena.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I asked in a previous thread about the Tacoma Dome being a temp venue and I was told that the ice making capability has been removed. I wonder is it easier to put in ice making capacity to the Tacoma Dome than whatever needs to be done in the Key Arena.

Except Hansen's agreement with the city explicitly requires that Key Arena be used as the temporary venue for any NHL or NBA franchise until the new arena opens - so that question is moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad