Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Are there individual pictures of the design, for those of us that don't want to subject their computers to opening massive PDFs?

DJ Omnimaga

Sep 23, 2012
Québec City area
codewalr.us
Kinda cool, although I'm unsure about the square-shaped thing around it. Not that it's that bad, but the two things that are longer in front of it kinda turns me off. Otherwise I prefer it to other designs that was shown.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Reports multiply on Kings to Seattle:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/01/15/2435922/kings-reports-multiply.html

Mostly a rehash of the new wojo report and david aldridge, Mayor Mcginn's comments appear to be new however:

Seattle mayor Mike McGinn told the Seattle PI.com on Monday it is clear “something’s going on†with the potential sale of the Kings, but he insisted his staff doesn’t know more than the public.

“We’ve been paying close attention to all the news reports, and my staff has touched base with their staff,†McGinn was quoted as saying.

“Something’s going on, and there’s clearly discussions going on, but there’s not a finish line that I know about. And I’m sure when they get to a finish line they’ll let us know. But hat’s all we know.â€

DatsyukNumberOne*

Seattle just seems like a perfect spot for a NHL team, other than another Canadian city of course.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I-91 is a joke and this lawsuit will get thrown out..just trying to muddy up the waters.

I hope they get nailed for all legal fees.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
The Sactown fans are really amping up support for their franchise. I wish we had some of our guys out in the public, but I guess it is for the best that everything they are doing is out of the public limelight.

But it definitely feels that the Kings fans/media is writing this narrative, I hope Hansen/Ballmer stick to their guns and get this deal done.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The Sactown fans are really amping up support for their franchise. I wish we had some of our guys out in the public, but I guess it is for the best that everything they are doing is out of the public limelight.

But it definitely feels that the Kings fans/media is writing this narrative, I hope Hansen/Ballmer stick to their guns and get this deal done.

Hansen/balmer don't perfer talking in public on what they are planning.

Sac doing in public is usually a sign of things aren't going well.

Deals get done in private not public hence seattle city council getting the a deal done with hansen was done in private.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Hansen/balmer don't perfer talking in public on what they are planning.

Sac doing in public is usually a sign of things aren't going well.

Deals get done in private not public hence seattle city council getting the a deal done with hansen was done in private.

Agreed! The silence on the Seattle side is reassuring to me.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm kind of torn on the protruding balconies/viewing area/whatever on the right side of the public plaza. It seems a little unnecessary but I understand they're trying to make that side of the building more exciting.

Everything else looks solid. Roof looks great, though I don't like the orange. Would look better if it were white IMO.

Its been noted not to focus on the orange making it look like that can change and be a different color

thom

Mar 6, 2012
I hope the junior club will be able to survive they have had a great rivalrey with spokane tri-cities portland .They've been in seattle for 4 decades and wish them the best.

gmjevtwa

Oct 25, 2012
Everett, WA
I hope the junior club will be able to survive they have had a great rivalrey with spokane tri-cities portland .They've been in seattle for 4 decades and wish them the best.

I would include the Everett Silvertips in the discussion on what effect a Seattle NHL might have on the two WHL teams in the area. The Thunderbirds and the Silvertips are major rivals ever since the Tips began in 2003.

Also, I found a news article from February 2012 with a Everett Silvertips executive discussing what possible effects an NHL team in Seattle will have on the Silvertips.

Disclaimer: Some items in the article are outdated. Take into consideration the article was published months before the Memorandum of Understanding for the Seattle arena project was approved.

Silvertips prepare for NHL team in Seattle

Everett Herald, February 20, 2012.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Having an NHL team will help both of the nearby WHL teams.

NHL will increase hockey awareness in the region and those that don't want to pay for a NHL game will have cheaper options with Thunderbirds and Silvertips to see hockey.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Having an NHL team will help both of the nearby WHL teams.

NHL will increase hockey awareness in the region and those that don't want to pay for a NHL game will have cheaper options with Thunderbirds and Silvertips to see hockey.

Don't see having the NHL in town will have an impact either way on the nearby WHL teams. As you mention different price points and generally different clientele.

As for having the NHL increasing awareness for the nearby junior team, it doesn't help the ones near Toronto by any strecth.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
So do the Seattle fans want the Seattle Metropolitans name if a team were to come? First American team to win the Stanley cup iirc.

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
So do the Seattle fans want the Seattle Metropolitans name if a team were to come? First American team to win the Stanley cup iirc.

Personally, enough time has passed between the Seattle Metropolitans (1915-24) that I think a new Seattle NHL team should establish its own, fresh identity. Look at other early 20th century teams and only the Ottawa Senators name have been revived, and they have 11 Stanley Cup championships. Other past Stanley Cup champions like the Quebec Bulldogs and Vancouver Millionaires were left in the past when their respective cities got NHL teams. The Winnipeg Jets are the other current team to brought back their old NHL name, the fact that there was only 15 years between teams and a lot of fan demand probably had something to do with it. Saying that, I think a new Seattle NHL team should raise Stanley Cup banners in honour of the Seattle Metropolitans.

The other one is the Seattle Totems. They existed from 1958-75 and were along the Vancouver Canucks in the Western Hockey League. You could make a case that since the Totems were the proposed name of the abortive NHL franchise in 1974, as well as the Canucks example, that they could be the name of a new Seattle NHL team. However a totally new direction could also work as well.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
ummm Seattle Totems. It's historical, completely unique sounding, and it's instantly identifiable with the Pacific Northwest. The Totems also have 2 awesome looking hockey sweaters to model their uniforms on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad