Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
So do the Seattle fans want the Seattle Metropolitans name if a team were to come? First American team to win the Stanley cup iirc.

Some do, I don't.

If you are going historical I want Thunderbirds.

If going something about the region, I like Steelhead/sockeye

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I keep thinking the 'Seattle Pilots' would be good but the only hesitation is the baseball connection.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Still like the idea of tying in the history of the Metropolitains.

Use a modern rendition of it - The Seattle Metros. Even use the green jerseys with the secondary colours red and white.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Since the Seattle area is home to Microsoft, how about the Seattle Power Points? A good hybrid name with tech and hockey connotations.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
From the outside looking in, I'd prefer it to be the Seattle Thunderbirds or the Seattle Breakers. Metropolitans would almost assuredly be shortened to Mets colloquially (and **** those guys) and I'm just not a fan of the Totems name.

Dowisetrepla

Apr 29, 2009
Washington State
I'd go with Totems, or perhaps the Breakers.

There is some history obviously with the Metropolitans, but its very ancient history, and the name would surely be shortened to Mets or Metros. Perhaps they could salute the Metropolitans by using their colors, even if they go with a different name.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
wouldn't mind keeping the Thunderbirds moniker.
Unless the current WHL team ownership are complete morons, the name isn't available and is trademarked (or whatever the right term is). It could be purchased, but if I were the WHL team, I would demand a prince's ransom -- effectively telling the NHL team to pound sand. So unless they fold or sell, it won't be the T-birds.

Personally, I like Totems.

bosshogg18

Oct 26, 2009
Lyle, WA, Tacoma, WA
Still like the idea of tying in the history of the Metropolitains.

Use a modern rendition of it - The Seattle Metros. Even use the green jerseys with the secondary colours red and white.

I like the idea as well. Could even raise the 1919 stanley cup banner on opening night with players living relatives in attendance. Colors make sense too. Close to sonic colors.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
i like the idea as well. Could even raise the 1919 stanley cup banner on opening night with players living relatives in attendance. Colors make sense too. Close to sonic colors.

1919? Seattle won it in 1917. 1919 was canceled

DyerMaker66*

Seattle Rain ftw: Sleek and simple (also, technically not in use :D).

DyerMaker66*

If you mean Seattle Reign it is taken. Seattles new Pro womens soccer team. Plus it wouldn't sound good as a male pro team name.

That's exactly why it works: Homophones ftw!

What's wrong with it being a male pro team name?

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
"Rain" is so predictable and bland. The polls heavily favour Totems and Metropolitans so why even suggest it? Fans don't want a lame 90's name like Rain, Ice, or Stealth for a hockey team in Seattle.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
"Rain" is so predictable and bland. The polls heavily favour Totems and Metropolitans so why even suggest it? Fans don't want a lame 90's name like Rain, Ice, or Stealth for a hockey team in Seattle.

Stealth is already taken for our Lacross team that plays in comcast arena.

DyerMaker66*

Because "Metropolitans" is so cool, right? Totems is real "edgy" and "different".

Wth is a "lame 90's name"? A name that actually represents something as opposed to picking a flightless bird because it happens to start with the same letter of your city? A name that doesn't essentially means the same thing as as already existing team?
Or a name that's actually new and different rather than sticking to a contrived and misguided view on NHL history?

SharksFan1978

Mar 29, 2012
The Totems was a ridiculous team name the first time around and it would be just as ridiculous now. The Metropolitans wouldn't work because it would be shortened to Mets, so they would need to just call themselves the Metros from the start if they want to go that route. Do something creative with your name instead of just trying to do all this regional stuff. Give the fans something cool to embrace that sounds unique and could actually lead to them having a cool logo, great merch and a notable mascot. Call 'em the Sasquatch for all I care, just don't use inanimate objects, the music scene, the weather or your location as the sole basis for creating a name. It's tired and it's boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad