Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Honestly if I had a binding sale/agreement with a owner and someone comes in with a better offer, and the nba does not allow the sale, you could bet Hansen will sue AND win

Problem is retaliation by the NBA by no allowing a team to EVER return to seattle. I don't think its in hansen's best interest to sue.

I think The binding sale/agreement has escape clauses in it if the NBA were to reject the sale.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Problem is retaliation by the NBA by no allowing a team to EVER return to seattle. I don't think its in hansen's best interest to sue.

I think The binding sale/agreement has escape clauses in it if the NBA were to reject the sale.

The Maloofs will still be allowed to receive other offers until BOG approval

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=414103

'The Maloofs will get a $30 million non-refundable down payment by Feb. 1, according to the deal, the person said. They will still be allowed to receive other offers until the league approves the sale.'

Can't see the Hansen group going after the NBA or the Maloofs if a group very wealthy white knights saves the day. In that unlikley scenario, I can see expansion, even by 1.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The Maloofs will still be allowed to receive other offers until BOG approval

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=414103

'The Maloofs will get a $30 million non-refundable down payment by Feb. 1, according to the deal, the person said. They will still be allowed to receive other offers until the league approves the sale.'

Can't see the Hansen group going after the NBA or the Maloofs if a group very wealthy white knights saves the day. In that unlikley scenario, I can see expansion, even by 1.

I did mention that the NBA could reject sale IF the local group offered more than what Hansen was offering. However, there would be legal issues if that local group offer was less than 525m and NBA took the lower offer.

The problem with the rumored local offers that they are not including the city debt like it doesn't exist and making a lower offer.

I do not think the maloofs want to deal with local offers.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
NBA expansion? Good grief, fat chance.

Even if Sacramento puts down a matching offer, what's to stop Hansen by upping it by a few million?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Except the franchise is not solely up to the Maloofs to sell. It is the league's franchise. They reserve the right to approve new ownership and where teams play. That is within their right. And if the deposit is given to the Maloofs and the deal falls through, they will have to give it back most likely. I wouldn't put much stock in no-refund in a transaction of this magnitude.
It is the Maloofs to sell. Just like all 30 franchises are independent.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
None of that is relevant. The fact of the matter is that Sacramento got a new arena deal struck and the Maloofs backed out.

Because they didn't like the deal. There was a reason for that. It was not random. Fact is this has been the culmination of a 15 year dragfest. A deal could have been done 10 years ago to prevent this.

DyerMaker66*

I can't see that being true: The NHL BOG has to approve its owners, why wouldn't the NBA have the same rules regarding ownership?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I can't see that being true: The NHL BOG has to approve its owners, why wouldn't the NBA have the same rules regarding ownership?

It's essentially a rubber stamp, though. They have to approve a relocation, but the only way they're going to block it is if they think it'll cause a black eye to the league. Same reason why the NHL blocked Balsillie for so long, because he was constantly making the rest of the league look like fools and they didn't like leaving the impression that their teams could just be poached by the highest bidder. Come TNSE, though, and they had no reason to try to block it.

Same here. Hansen seems to be an attractive potential owner, going back to a market that the NBA's interested in, and with no noticeable shady dealings. They could try to block it, and likely face a protracted battle, but they won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad