Confirmed with Link: Meszaros to Boston for a 3rd round pick

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Can I get the number of the store where you bought that mattress?!?!?!?!

After sleeping on it

I will wake up...
Rich
Playing in the NHL
have 3 kids that listen to at least 1 word I yell at them
My 20+ pound, Lazy ass cat, will turn into a unicorn

PS
Was the salesman Santa or the Easter Bunny?

No wonder you're so negative all the time. Look into massage therapy lol

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Meszaros, Potter aren't exactly the names Bruins fans wanted to hear at deadline

There's was no game Wednesday night, but there was a chance to win. As the trade deadline approached, the Bruins had an obvious need: a veteran defenseman to fill some of the void left when relentlessly dependable Dennis Seidenberg blew out the ACL and MCL in his right knee in late December.

Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli did come away with two veteran defensemen. Unfortunately, neither Andrej Meszaros, acquired from the Flyers for a pick, nor Corey Potter, claimed off waivers from the Oilers, is anything resembling a replica of Seidenberg.

There's nothing wrong with acquiring veteran depth, especially on defense. Meszaros, a 28-year-old bruiser with, like so many other Chiarelli acquisitions, an Ottawa Senators background, is useful. But he's just a part, perhaps a spare one, and with the possibility of another run toward the Cup Final, it's disappointing that the Bruins didn't repair their most glaring flaw.

http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2014/03/bruins_trade_deadline.html

One can judge how the team missed out on Bruins killer Thomas Vanek, who was dealt to the hated Habs from the Islanders. They missed out on acquiring Stephane Robidas, who went from Dallas to Anaheim on Tuesday. And they missed out on acquiring some other names like Ryan Kesler, Matt Moulson and Chris Phillips, just to name a few,

At the end of the trade deadline, the Bruins came out just fine.

Sure, Andrej Meszaros wasn’t a hot commodity in the last several hours. But they filled their need in getting a big body who is also a left-handed shot, while only giving up a third round pick to the Philadelphia Flyers in return
http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/...y/2014/03/despite_major_splash_bruins_do.html

BOSTON – There’s a pattern here. A couple, in fact.
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli tends not to acquire players people think he has or should have targeted at the NHL’s annual trade deadline.
Chiarelli also tends to add players with whom he has had a prior relationship – especially recently. In 2011, Ottawa’s former assistant GM obtained center Chris Kelly from the Senators. Defenseman Greg Zanon, a client from Chiarelli’s days as an agent, came aboard in 2012. Last year, ex-Senators defenseman Wade Redden arrived in a deadline deal.
“I’m more familiar with them,†Chiarelli said late Wednesday afternoon at TD Garden. “It just gives me a little more information.â€

http://www.patriotledger.com/article/20140306/SPORTS/140307881/2000/NEWS

Regarding the third story- what happens when all the players he is familiar with are no longer playing? I think Chiarelli needs to develop more faith in his scouts. Or replace them if he doesn't have confidence in their judgement.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Better than most teams. Timo, Streit, Mac, Schenn, Grossman, Cobourn. That's pretty good potential of size & offense.

The Flyers are 22nd in the NHL with 184 goals allowed in 63 games. Their goal differential is -4. That's not all on the goalie.

For the sake of comparison, the Bruins are 2nd in the NHL with 138 goals allowed in 61 games. Their goal differential is +54.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
so what teams in the East after yesterday are very close to 50/50 beating the Bruins in a round

flip a coin series

Tampa
Pitt
Montreal

slight edge Boston

Toronto

should be favored

Rangers
Flyers
Ottawa
Washington

odds of getting to the Conf Finals I'd put at less than 50%

Washington, Montreal, Toronto are the worst match ups based head to head play this year. These three teams I feel like the Bruins would give up the most PP's and these teams live off of PP production. Everyone else I'm feeling pretty good about.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
so what teams in the East after yesterday are very close to 50/50 beating the Bruins in a round

flip a coin series

Tampa
Pitt
Montreal

slight edge Boston

Toronto

should be favored

Rangers
Flyers
Ottawa
Washington

odds of getting to the Conf Finals I'd put at less than 50%

Two thoughts:

1. I'd definitely slide TB down to that "slight edge Boston" group with Toronto. A nice regular season run isn't enough to put them at a coin toss with the Conference elite. AND they got worse yesterday.

2. Since when is "less than 50% to get to the Conference Finals" a bad thing??? What team is ever greater than 50% to get to the Conference Finals? Go look at Vegas odds for example. Every team in the West is greater than 2.5/1 to win the Conference, meaning about 30% or much lower to win the Conference, so surely less than 50% to get to the Conference Finals. If the Bruins have a 33% chance or better to get to the Conference Finals, I gladly take that any year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Philly is notorious for mismanaging it's players so I am confident that a change of scenery will be the best thing for Mez.

The problem with Meszaros has been a string of bad injuries in a short period of time. First he needed back surgery, then he tore his ACL, then he hurt his shoulder badly twice. They weren't his fault, and they weren't the team's fault, either.

He's a likable guy and I hope he does well in Boston starting tonight with a win over Washington tonight.

chippa13*

could be my favorite day ever

"This iz the betest tradez evah... Charah and Meszaaaaahros played togethaaah"

Signed

The Mother Hens from the land of Black and Gold

chippa13*

Toronto Montreal Rangers Washington Pitt

would beat Boston

All others...not worried about

Cougar Saucy

Dec 2, 2013
Here's a bit of trivia (and a little bit off topic)...

Andrej Meszaros will be wearing 41 (or atleast that's what is listed on the Bruins site). Who was the last Bruin to wear 41?

Hint 1:
- Played at Boston College from 2001-2005

Hint 2:
- Played for 3 seasons between 2006 and 2008 for the Bruins.

Hint 3:
- Drafted in the 6th round by the Bruins in 2001. Currently playing for his 4th NHL organization.

Answer: Andrew Alberts.
^Highlight For Answer^

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

Andrej Meszaros will be wearing 41 (or atleast that's what is listed on the Bruins site). Who was the last Bruin to wear 41?

Hint 1:

Hint 2:

Hint 3:
- Drafted in the 6th round by the Bruins in 2001. Currently playing for his 4th NHL organization.

^Highlight For Answer^

I sure hope he's better than that guy. Alberts was brutal, in Corvo territory.

chippa13*

Just imagine...when the bruns win da cup and/or meszaros wins con smythe you can all come back here and say I told ya so!

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
The problem with Meszaros has been a string of bad injuries in a short period of time. First he needed back surgery, then he tore his ACL, then he hurt his shoulder badly twice. They weren't his fault, and they weren't the team's fault, either.

He's a likable guy and I hope he does well in Boston starting tonight with a win over Washington tonight.

I think he's a solid addition to a team that's already a contender, but I don't think he'll play tonight. It'd probably be good for him to sit upstairs and get a good look at the Bruins system, as it's very different from Philly's.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
The Flyers are 22nd in the NHL with 184 goals allowed in 63 games. Their goal differential is -4. That's not all on the goalie.

For the sake of comparison, the Bruins are 2nd in the NHL with 138 goals allowed in 61 games. Their goal differential is +54.

They have been playing pretty good hockey of late and in the playoffs everyone will have a clean slate.. I think if they get hot going into the playoffs they can just about beat anyone but that goes for anyone right.

I just want our B's to play a good game tonight and destroy Washington both on the score board and physically. Washington lost to Phili last night tho the Caps almost came back at the end..

chippa13*

Hint 1:

Hint 2:

Hint 3:

^Highlight For Answer^

tim sweeney?

Cougar Saucy

Dec 2, 2013
Tim Sweeney wore 41 but in 1993. Im getting all of this from hockey-reference.com btw, not all in my head haha

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Toronto Montreal Rangers Washington Pitt

would beat Boston

All others...not worried about

Seriously, here's some advice...you need to put some money down at Vegas. Right now every team you list minus Pitt is 9/1 or higher to win the Conference.

You can go ahead and feel as certain as you want about your ordering, but know that the smart money is so far off from your order it's laughable. The Pens are 1.7/1, the Bruins are about 2/1, and then everyone else in the conference is AT LEAST 9/1 to win the Conference. So if you are so sure of your read on these teams, go make yourself some money because apparently anyone willing to bet couldn't disagree with you more.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I prefer to think of the Bruins #41 as being Phil Von Steffenelli's and the other guys were just hoping to be him...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad