Confirmed with Link: Meszaros to Boston for a 3rd round pick

remer

Oct 18, 2005
If it's just a 3rd, I don't really care...clearly the market sucked. I thought I read something saying it could turn to a 2nd though. One of the ways was making the conference finals, re-signing, etc. Do the Bruins only have to do ONE of those things and it becomes a 2nd or a combination?

I really hate these deals where the B's get punished for succeeding.

Edit: Ah, of course the answer is being typed as I post.

That is the stupidity of Chia. He did the same on the Jagr deal. You don't see other deals too often structured this way. Simply stupid.

Uli Kunkel

Feb 8, 2014
Some Philly fan said Mez can play the right side along with Krüg. Good competition for Bart and Miller if so. I'm blaming Z if he ***** the bed.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Go back a few years and see how devastated they were to lose McDonagh who was "decreasing in value".

OK, you're on. 98% of the Habs fans were totally against the trade.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=656981&page=9

Here's just two posts but there's a lot of similar ones:

06-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future
vCash: 500

Mcdonagh?????
**** You Gainey.

06-30-2009, 05:20 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

**** Right Off With Mcdonagh Being Traded. You're An Idiot Gainey.

Oh here's my favorite:

06-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

it includes McDonough? This is one of the worst trades in franchise history. Probably the worst trade since we traded Turgeon. McDonough alone was worth more than Gomez. WTF is going on.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
I know about Chara/Seidenberg. But if you keep Miller in the lineup (and I don't see how you take him out), you'll inevitably have two LHs and two RHs together. Chara/Meszaros shouldn't really matter. But what about Boychuk/Hamilton. If you have 3 LH and 3 RH in the same game, I would imagine each pair would have 1 of each. And, Meszaros is no Seidenberg.

I definitely hear what you're saying, and you might be right. I was just saying that it sometimes isn't as much of a consideration as we make it out to be (sometimes it is). Like I said, it will depend on the individual players, how they handle playing their off side, and how the coaches feel about particular match-ups, etc. There might be some experimentation with the D-pairings in the coming games.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
I would have liked to see Joe Morrow called up before we traded picks.

Can't call a guy up who is out 4-6 weeks with a dislocated kneecap as Morrow is. Expected to be out another month, and not sure how his mobility will be when he gets back. He's lucky he didn't tear the ligaments, though.

Oh, and that 0 NHL games of experience thing...not sure this is the right time to hold a big league audition, even with a solid prospect like Morrow.

He'll get a look next year, IMO.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Just finished my shift at work and thought I'd check in to see if our newest Bruin has already earned the crown of "whipping boy" yet??:)

Or is the "Chia sat on his hands again" crowd around?? Pleasantly surprised I haven't read too many posts from them

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Can't call a guy up who is out 4-6 weeks with a dislocated kneecap as Morrow is. Expected to be out another month, and not sure how his mobility will be when he gets back. He's lucky he didn't tear the ligaments, though.

Oh, and that 0 NHL games of experience thing...not sure this is the right time to hold a big league audition, even with a solid prospect like Morrow.

He'll get a look next year, IMO.

Bergy plays with a punctured lung and this kid can't find a way to lace em up......another bust of a prospect.:sarcasm:

TheTimThomasProject

Jun 6, 2009
Over the rainbow
Just finished my shift at work and thought I'd check in to see if our newest Bruin has already earned the crown of "whipping boy" yet??:)

Or is the "Chia sat on his hands again" crowd around?? Pleasantly surprised I haven't read too many posts from them

Pretty sure Caron still has the title still, not sure though it's probably close

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Questions I have:

1) Is Meszaros an upgrade to our Top 4 or is this a lateral move?

2) Considering the prices paid today, was this an overpayment? Or was it a fair price?

3) Was this better value than the deal Philly made for MacDonald?

4) Would the team have been better not making this deal and trying to use the available cap space on Vanek?

5) How much better do you think the Bruins are today than they were yesterday?

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Questions I have:

2) Considering the prices paid today, was this an overpayment? Or was it a fair price?

4) Would the team have been better not making this deal and trying to use the available cap space on Vanek?

These are all great questions, but I feel like I will need some perspective to answer most of them. I think I will revisit your post in a couple of weeks. But good food for thought.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Questions I have:

1) He's better than Bart. Has some chemistry with Chara and will allow every other D to play less minutes.

2) I don't think it was an overpayment. Of all the Dmen traded today, he's the best of the lot. Late 3rd is ok by me.

3) Phily gave what? 2nd and a 3rd? Their picks will be better than the Bruins so what would we have had to give to trump that? But since it's Snow, he probably wouldn't notice that...

4) yes.

5) A little better. We were already very good so that's a good thing. Still the team to beat in the East.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Questions I have:

1) Lateral
2) Fair unless it becomes a 2nd with condition met
3) No
4) See #3. MacDonald's value higher for me because cap hit would have allowed for another move.
5) Bruins are better off if someone gets hurt than they were yesterday. They are a great team that could have gone a little further today to get even better. I'm disappointed but have to trust Chiarelli, he has earned it. I think Leafs, Caps, Canadiens would be their toughest East opponent match ups.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Questions I have:

My opinions:

1. It's a fairly lateral move, but it's still a good move, I think. It creates more competition and gives us more depth. I feel confident either he or Bart will take that top 4 job and run with it. The other one will be nipping at his heels in the pressbox. A healthy McQuaid would give us even more competition.

2. Fair price. Maybe even better than fair. He's not going to resign here so the conditional pick isn't a big deal (if he does resign here, he must have been pretty damn good with all the options we have). If we make the Conference finals and we have to give up a 2nd, I don't really care.

3. I don't think so. MacDonald would have been a lock for the top 4, and giving up picks that aren't first rounders to secure that is completely fine when you're in win-now mode.

4. Apples and oranges, I think. We NEEDED a d-man, we didn't need anything up front. I'd argue we have the best group of forwards in the league. Having Vanek on a "third line" would be ridiculous though so I'm not going to say we'd have been worse off. I just think this was done more out of necessity than anything.

5. Pretty much the same, but I expect us to progress through the home-stretch and start playing at our peak come playoff-time. It's a tall task with so many young d-men, but getting them as much experience as possible leading up to the playoffs could be key. I'd particularly like to see Miller take on a bigger role as I think he could be very key in the playoffs.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Questions I have:

1) On the fence, but is he is motivated, certainly an upgrade

2) Fair price

3) No, because Amac would give us a little room to improve (cap space)

4) No, we needed help on defense

5) #1 again, it will depends on his motivation

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
My opinions:

1. It's a fairly lateral move, but it's still a good move, I think. It creates more competition and gives us more depth. I feel confident either he or Bart will take that top 4 job and run with it. The other one will be nipping at his heels in the pressbox. A healthy McQuaid would give us even more competition.

2. Fair price. Maybe even better than fair. He's not going to resign here so the conditional pick isn't a big deal (if he does resign here, he must have been pretty damn good with all the options we have). If we make the Conference finals and we have to give up a 2nd, I don't really care.

3. I don't think so. MacDonald would have been a lock for the top 4, and giving up picks that aren't first rounders to secure that is completely fine when you're in win-now mode.

4. Apples and oranges, I think. We NEEDED a d-man, we didn't need anything up front. I'd argue we have the best group of forwards in the league. Having Vanek on a "third line" would be ridiculous though so I'm not going to say we'd have been worse off. I just think this was done more out of necessity than anything.

5. Pretty much the same, but I expect us to progress through the home-stretch and start playing at our peak come playoff-time. It's a tall task with so many young d-men, but getting them as much experience as possible leading up to the playoffs could be key. I'd particularly like to see Miller take on a bigger role as I think he could be very key in the playoffs.

I think we have the best forward depth in the league.With Paille and Campbell on the 4th line we are safe if they happen to get caught on the ice with the other team's 1st line.Losing Campbell last year was a tremendous blow ,not that he is an exceptional player but it really made us a 3 line team .

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Mez is OK for depth he doesn't really improve the team but hes a body. Not getting one of these forwards is criminal. This is 2012 again when we picked up 2 donkeys in Mottau and Zanon and lost in the first round.

3 years in a row with a contender PC has done nothing mid season to help the team. Everyone better hope Chris Kelly has a facial injury and must don a full cage for the entire playoffs cause thats the only way we'll get anything from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad