Confirmed with Link: Meszaros to Boston for a 3rd round pick

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Lol wtf was that interview about? It's perfectly normal for reporters to give an opportunity to players on the team to talk up what the new players bring to the team. Weird.

Obviously Chara had a bad day or/and didn't like the interview. " He’s just a good guy, works hard, is a physical guy. Strong guy, plays the game that way." this quote says what he thinks of Meszaros. If Meszaros can play like that, physical & hard, then we're in a good spot.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Lol wtf was that interview about? It's perfectly normal for reporters to give an opportunity to players on the team to talk up what the new players bring to the team. Weird.

Perhaps it was about the 10th time Chara had been asked the same questions and he was getting annoyed.

That said, I don't get the impression that he was dissing Mezsaros. That's going a bit overboard.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
tbh I loved Bean's reporting but had to quit following him on Twitter because he was so obnoxious.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
The rap seems to be he doesn't play D but on the 2005 Sens his +/- was +34 (2nd best on the team to Redden's 35) and on the 2010 Flyers he was +30 (tied for best on team).

I know a lot of people don't put any stock in +/- but he must have been doing something right those 2 years? Does he just suck lately?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The rap seems to be he doesn't play D but on the 2005 Sens his +/- was +34 (2nd best on the team to Redden's 35) and on the 2010 Flyers he was +30 (tied for best on team).

I know a lot of people don't put any stock in +/- but he must have been doing something right those 2 years? Does he just suck lately?

Yeah, I was never under the impression he's poor defensively. Not sure where that has come from.

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
i don't think there's any point of looking into Chara's comments too deeply for conspiracies or anything but his answers are kind of weird that's all

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Take it for what you will but on tonight's Coaches Corner Grapes said he loved Chia getting Meszaros and even called him a natural Bruin. :handclap:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Take it for what you will but on tonight's Coaches Corner Grapes said he loved Chia getting Meszaros and even called him a natural Bruin. :handclap:

Hmm I hadn't heard it yet but I like it! Getting anxious to see him play a little, any word of if it'll be tomorrow night?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Regarding the third story- what happens when all the players he is familiar with are no longer playing? I think Chiarelli needs to develop more faith in his scouts. Or replace them if he doesn't have confidence in their judgement.

I was thinking this exact thought too. Great minds and all that rot! :yo::Dlol

WOWOWOWOWOW

sounds like Chara wants nothing to do with Meszaros

that DJ bean interview ...yikes

doesn't sound good at all...wonder what it stems from - Soshee Russia?

WOWOWOWOWOW

It sounds more as though you would enjoy that more than anything. Whaaat?:amazed:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

Hmm I hadn't heard it yet but I like it! Getting anxious to see him play a little, any word of if it'll be tomorrow night?

I'll post the link once CBC puts it up.

Here you go - the Meszaros comments come around the 3:15 mark.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I was never under the impression he's poor defensively. Not sure where that has come from.

Mez was on the FLyers 3rd pairing that year, and was not used much against top competition

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
So far, about what I think most expected from him. Some bad in the D zone and some good in the O zone.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Looked pretty good in his first game. A couple of flubs, but nothing too bad. Looked good in the Ozone though

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I like his accurate shot from inside the blue line. Almost all of them were on target and not flying wild. Those will be great for put backs if not outright goals. I also think he will be better defensively with the Bs than with his previous team since Claude's system is disciplined. Could be a better pickup for the Cup run than some people think. Provides some needed depth, that's for sure.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I like a guy who fires it on net every chance he gets.

A little shaky, but to be expected... I think he could surprise some people. Good game overall.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
I like a guy who fires it on net every chance he gets.

A little shaky, but to be expected... I think he could surprise some people. Good game overall.

He wasn't just blindly ripping off those shots either. Not many of his shots were blocked, he did a good job of ensuring there was an open lane and/or a teammate there that could potentially get their stick in and tip in the shot home. I mostly liked what i saw.

Most impressive is that he was really putting some mustard behind this flurry of one-timers... and for the most part his shots were all not just getting through the D but getting in on the net.

Hell, he scored a big goal with one of those shots. And putting it on net with traffic nearby can only lead to good things. I was impressed with the [general] accuracy of his shot.

... not just his willingness to shoot it. He was exercising patience and he also demonstrated that he can play both sides... he handled the off-side well today.

And lastly, he has a big body behind that big shot. "Thick" was the word used by someone and that is a pretty good way to describe him. He's not just tall, he's got a big frame and seems to have natural strength.

Based solely on that one game (which is ridiculous of course, but just for conjecture's sake), where we saw a rusty Mez do more than just hold his own -- after all, he did score a goal, but he was also adequate on D -- i would say that Chia's big deadline acquisition, while not a major splash, was quite a bargain for this team and the B's FO.

A 3rd round pick is not very much to give up at all, very low risk. And this for a player who will likely only make improvements moving forward as he gets comfortable in Boston, gets more reps with this team, and gets more experience playing in Clode's system. Mez entered the NHL at a young age and ripped it up once upon a time... here's to hoping he can rekindle the greatness that he has shown flashes of before injuries derailed his career.

Remember, Mez is only 28. Not like he is old at all, especially for a D-man. Maybe Chara can get today's Mez to channel the Mez-plus of years past when he played with Chara as a youngster. Who knows?? For a 3rd round pick, he appeared to look pretty comfortable in his very first game as a Bruin. :yo:

Last edited:

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
He wasn't just blindly ripping off those shots either. Not many of his shots were blocked, he did a good job of ensuring there was an open lane and/or a teammate there that could potentially get their stick in and tip in the shot home. I mostly liked what i saw.

Most impressive is that he was really putting some mustard behind this flurry of one-timers... and for the most part his shots were all not just getting through the D but getting in on the net.

Hell, he scored a big goal with one of those shots. And putting it on net with traffic nearby can only lead to good things. I was impressed with the [general] accuracy of his shot.

... not just his willingness to shoot it. He was exercising patience and he also demonstrated that he can play both sides... he handled the off-side well today.

And lastly, he has a big body behind that big shot. "Thick" was the word used by someone and that is a pretty good way to describe him. He's not just tall, he's got a big frame and seems to have natural strength.

Based solely on that one game (which is ridiculous of course, but just for conjecture's sake), where we saw a rusty Mez do more than just hold his own -- after all, he did score a goal, but he was also adequate on D -- i would say that Chia's big deadline acquisition, while not a major splash, was quite a bargain for this team and the B's FO.

A 3rd round pick is not very much to give up at all, very low risk. And this for a player who will likely only make improvements moving forward as he gets comfortable in Boston, gets more reps with this team, and gets more experience playing in Clode's system. Mez entered the NHL at a young age and ripped it up once upon a time... here's to hoping he can rekindle the greatness that he has shown flashes of before injuries derailed his career.

Remember, Mez is only 28. Not like he is old at all, especially for a D-man. Maybe Chara can get today's Mez to channel the Mez-plus of years past when he played with Chara as a youngster. Who knows?? For a 3rd round pick, he appeared to look pretty comfortable in his very first game as a Bruin. :yo:

Meszaros was a great pick-up. Chia basically got a #2 Dman for a 3rd rounder. I know he isn't a true #2, but because he works so well with Chara he has to play on the 1st pairing,thus making him a #2 by default. Mesz had a great 1st game. Hopefully he gets even better as he get used to playing B's system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad