Confirmed with Link: Meszaros to Boston for a 3rd round pick

Mount KilimanChara

Jul 6, 2007
North Shore
Right.

Upgrading a water carrier for a HOFer? No mention of that.

Of course I want Sieds back but as a few sages have pointed out, no one remotely like him moved this week.

Meanwhile, the same exact rest of the D that brought the Bruins to within a few periods of a Cup last year is intact. While the Chara Siedenberg dynamic was a HUGE part of the win in 2011, this group of youngsters did pretty darn well last year and have a year of experience to boot. Which of them has regressed? Not a one, I'd argue.

So to recap

Chara is Chara- without him we are DOA.

Seidenberg is out.

Boychuk still cannot be killed by conventional weaponry; not at a point in his career where I expect anything but the same tough SOB we've got from him every year.

Hamilton is a year older and better. It matters for a guy with his upside. Also matters that he wasn't thrown in above his head last year.

Krug has gotten better, or maintained his playoff form. What makes you think it will end in this year's playoffs?

McQuaid is a question mark, for sure, but I'm not ruling him out. Is there depth behind him? Ayuhh.

Bartkowski is better than last year at this time. Considerably.

Meszaros well if he can be what Kaberle was that'd be fine with me. Don't care much but there is a chance he will find something with Chara and more importantly great defensive coaching and being put in a position to succeed.

Miller- I notice how little I notice him. I love McQuaid. I loved Stuart. I don't miss Stuart. Fill in the blank.

In short, or I guess long, let's not overlook a year of development for a young defense that came very close to winning it all last year. Or the fact that this year's forward corps (sans Vanek, Kesler, Gaborik, etc) is still better than the B's have iced in some time.

I'm pissed about Vanek to the Habs too but take it to the twittoshpere and help out Isles fans. Garth Snow has one of those 30 jobs too, and making that statement past history should be the focus of every NHL fan and not just Isles fans. Simply disgusting.

Chia is fine and the Bruins aren't the 2010 or 2012 team.

BTW, if you are looking for help from a cage, go watch the last time Chara wore one- it was like Superman without the kryptonite vulnerability.

chippa13*

This trade screams zanon.....another 4/5/6 dman that does not play our system.

Another year wasted....

Wonder what the mother hens are saying through their black and gold colored glasses

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Another year wasted....

Wonder what the mother hens are saying through their black and gold colored glasses

Unlike some, I would like to at least see Mez play in the B's lineup before passing judgment. The B's coaches were able to get some productive and effective seasons out of Wideman and even made him look decent defensively, so I will wait and see how Mez looks before freaking out.

Also, Z, you say "another wasted year". That's BS in my opinion. There wasn't a player out there this deadline that guaranteed the B's a Cup.

There were certainly no sure things like Iginla or Hossa were when PIT acquired them on the way to their Cup victories those year...

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Unlike some, I would like to at least see Mez play in the B's lineup before passing judgment. The B's coaches were able to get some productive and effective seasons out of Wideman and even made him look decent defensively, so I will wait and see how Mez looks before freaking out.

I just saw he was 28 I thought he was a lot older. I guess he could have more high end upside than I was thinking.

I mean dudes been around almost 10 years it was a long ass time ago he was a Senator. And its been about 5 years since he was regarded as one of the best second pairing D men in the game but he had that reputation and would have been really young for a D man back when he was good.

(So Mez was younger or the same age as Bart and Krug when he didn't suck in Ottawa and TBL.)

We'll see.

Uli Kunkel

Feb 8, 2014
I guess Mez's best year was his rookie one paired with Z. I wonder how hard the latter lobbied for the former.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Philly is notorious for mismanaging it's players so I am confident that a change of scenery will be the best thing for Mez.

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
I like the move to bring in Meszaros. It's obviously not a move that will put the Bruins over the top, but I considered the Bruins to be cup contenders a week ago, and I still consider them to be cup contenders today.

No, Boston didn't get a Seidenberg replacement, but I think one of their concerns finishing up the season was the ability for Krug / Bartkowski to log a combined 35 minutes of ice time on the left side of the defense each game the rest of the year, and into the playoffs. Meszaros can help take minutes away from Z, Krug, and Bartkowski on the left side.

Is Meszaros going to fill the hole left by Seidenberg's injury? No. Is the Bruins defense better today than it was 24 hours ago? I believe so.

Z - Hamilton
Meszaros - Boychuk
Bartkowski - Krug

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Meszaros, Potter aren't exactly the names Bruins fans wanted to hear at deadline

There's was no game Wednesday night, but there was a chance to win. As the trade deadline approached, the Bruins had an obvious need: a veteran defenseman to fill some of the void left when relentlessly dependable Dennis Seidenberg blew out the ACL and MCL in his right knee in late December.

Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli did come away with two veteran defensemen. Unfortunately, neither Andrej Meszaros, acquired from the Flyers for a pick, nor Corey Potter, claimed off waivers from the Oilers, is anything resembling a replica of Seidenberg.

There's nothing wrong with acquiring veteran depth, especially on defense. Meszaros, a 28-year-old bruiser with, like so many other Chiarelli acquisitions, an Ottawa Senators background, is useful. But he's just a part, perhaps a spare one, and with the possibility of another run toward the Cup Final, it's disappointing that the Bruins didn't repair their most glaring flaw.

http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2014/03/bruins_trade_deadline.html

One can judge how the team missed out on Bruins killer Thomas Vanek, who was dealt to the hated Habs from the Islanders. They missed out on acquiring Stephane Robidas, who went from Dallas to Anaheim on Tuesday. And they missed out on acquiring some other names like Ryan Kesler, Matt Moulson and Chris Phillips, just to name a few,

At the end of the trade deadline, the Bruins came out just fine.

Sure, Andrej Meszaros wasn’t a hot commodity in the last several hours. But they filled their need in getting a big body who is also a left-handed shot, while only giving up a third round pick to the Philadelphia Flyers in return
http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/...y/2014/03/despite_major_splash_bruins_do.html

BOSTON – There’s a pattern here. A couple, in fact.
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli tends not to acquire players people think he has or should have targeted at the NHL’s annual trade deadline.
Chiarelli also tends to add players with whom he has had a prior relationship – especially recently. In 2011, Ottawa’s former assistant GM obtained center Chris Kelly from the Senators. Defenseman Greg Zanon, a client from Chiarelli’s days as an agent, came aboard in 2012. Last year, ex-Senators defenseman Wade Redden arrived in a deadline deal.
“I’m more familiar with them,†Chiarelli said late Wednesday afternoon at TD Garden. “It just gives me a little more information.â€

http://www.patriotledger.com/article/20140306/SPORTS/140307881/2000/NEWS

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
Not stoked about Mez, but I'll give him a chance. He was playing man to man coverage in Philly and maybe that does not suit him. Let's see how he interacts as part of a zone defense.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Another year wasted....

Simple question:

Last year the Penguins had a better regular season record, and we rolled them in the playoffs. This season, while we are now without Seids, they lost their best 2 defensemen for now, and at least one for the year. And all they added was Marcel Goc.

So, is it "another year wasted" for them too?

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Not stoked about Mez, but I'll give him a chance. He was playing man to man coverage in Philly and maybe that does not suit him. Let's see how he interacts as part of a zone defense.

This is pretty much my thinking.

Philly isn't exact a defensive system power house and it's possible he will fit better in Julien's system.

The ideal situation would have been a player who could fill or come close to filling Seids' skates but there weren't any Dmen moved who could do that.

Sure there were a couple of Dmen who might have been better but most of the men moved weren't going to put the Bruins over the top. What Dman actually moved would have made the Bruins a greatly improved team?

Let's see how he does and if he doesn't outplay any of the kids, then the Bruins will head into the break relying in the kids and praying for the best. Thankfully the east is weak this year and about the only team that worries me in the east is the Habs, because this team and Tuukka have played like poo against them so far.

chippa13*

Also, Z, you say "another wasted year". That's BS in my opinion. There wasn't a player out there this deadline that guaranteed the B's a Cup.

There were certainly no sure things like Iginla or Hossa were when PIT acquired them on the way to their Cup victories those year...

no player ever guarantees anything ever.... that goes without saying

I am still sad from the Zanon Sma-smortion

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
so what teams in the East after yesterday are very close to 50/50 beating the Bruins in a round

flip a coin series

Tampa
Pitt
Montreal

slight edge Boston

Toronto

should be favored

Rangers
Flyers
Ottawa
Washington

odds of getting to the Conf Finals I'd put at less than 50%

chippa13*

PS I was a fan of meszaros 10 years ago

I also thought Hoobastank was right up there with U2 10 years ago but.....

let's hope Meszaros doesn't Hoobastink!

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Slept on it. Now I'm convinced this was a great pick up. Chara-Meszaros fit like a glove. Long history and share lots in common. Chara is gonna make him look like a Norris candidate I bet. Meszaros hits and has good offense. Chia basically got a #2 Dman for a 3rd pick! Philly is a black hole for some players. Look at Van Ramsdick. Went to TO and became a solid winger. I'm betting the Bs will look to re-sign Meszaros long term after these playoffs.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Philly is notorious for mismanaging it's players so I am confident that a change of scenery will be the best thing for Mez.

look at Bob in Columbus, but even if Mez does well no guarantees against Tampa, Pitt, or the Habs....even Toronto wont be scared and have serious revenge on their side with a better goalie and a better JVR, PK, and Lupol. They did not have Bozak at the end of that series

bottom line likely every series the Bruins play it will be a dog fight even against Toronto who looks like a 7th seed to me

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
so what teams in the East after yesterday are very close to 50/50 beating the Bruins in a round

flip a coin series

Tampa
Pitt
Montreal

slight edge Boston

Toronto

should be favored

Rangers
Flyers
Ottawa
Washington

I actually like Philly's team. They are deep and if they get their crap together, they'll be tough. Only problem is goalie, but you never know.

chippa13*

Slept on it. Now I'm convinced this was a great pick up. Chara-Meszaros fit like a glove. Long history and share lots in common. Chara is gonna make him look like a Norris candidate I bet. Meszaros hits and has good offense. Chia basically got a #2 Dman for a 3rd pick! Philly is a black hole for some players. Look at Van Ramsdick. Went to TO and became a solid winger. I'm betting the Bs will look to re-sign Meszaros long term after these playoffs.

Can I get the number of the store where you bought that mattress?!?!?!?!

After sleeping on it

I will wake up...
Rich
Playing in the NHL
have 3 kids that listen to at least 1 word I yell at them
My 20+ pound, Lazy ass cat, will turn into a unicorn

PS
Was the salesman Santa or the Easter Bunny?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Welcome to the Bruins Andrej Mezaros :yo::handclap:

If you ever read this board please don't take the negativity personally- it is a Boston thing.

Sincerely,

BMC

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

flip a coin series

Tampa
Pitt
Montreal

slight edge Boston

Toronto

should be favored

Rangers
Flyers
Ottawa
Washington

We absolutely own Tampa. I don't see how we wouldn't be the clear favorite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad