Memorial cup

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
As a fan of both teams I admire the irony is your post.

Ah, but we weren't expected to make the playoffs this year, Toronto most likely was (138k under cap), as were Vancouver (0 cap), and Montreal (580k under cap).
Of course I would have preferred Montreal and Toronto to make them over Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay, and Vancouver to make it over Chicago or LA.

but back on topic... any other undrafted players standing out from the remaining teams

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Are you actually suggesting the Leafs were expecting to make the playoffs this past season??? Do you watch hockey?? Babcock's quote was "there will be pain" as they started to do an actual rebuild for the first time in my Life.
Ah, but we weren't expected to make the playoffs this year, Toronto most likely was (138k under cap), as were Vancouver (0 cap), and Montreal (580k under cap).
Of course I would have preferred Montreal and Toronto to make them over Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay, and Vancouver to make it over Chicago or LA.

but back on topic... any other undrafted players standing out from the remaining teams

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I can't believe a player actually topped the Reinhart hysteria.

We'll probably make it a triple by drafting Chychrun and having to hear about Juolevi the Great.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
In this tourney I've been impressed by the speed that Dvorak plays with. He skates harder than I realized.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I was just watching a bit of the Marlies playoff games. The jump in pace and ability from AHL to NHL is massive. Kids who make the even bigger jump from JR to NHL really are special players. The fact that the Coyotes have a few doing it last year and hopefully next year really bodes well for the team long term.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Are you actually suggesting the Leafs were expecting to make the playoffs this past season??? Do you watch hockey?? Babcock's quote was "there will be pain" as they started to do an actual rebuild for the first time in my Life.

Toronto expects to make the playoffs every year :) After all, the playoffs should always include all Canadian teams and then fill in the other slots with whoever does marginally well. :sarcasm:

Kind of sad if they weren't hoping to make the playoffs but still spent almost to the cap. Shouldn't a true rebuild kind of start from scratch (or maybe 2-4 core players and a decent goalie)? I honestly don't watch teams other than the Coyotes, so whatever (or however) Toronto does, I don't pay attention until around the trade deadline.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
I like bleakley, myself, not sure what they are going to do.

he's just starting to really find his game again after a freak injury and is playing well and gets a lot of ice time in red deer i think .... and from what i remember reading from a recent article, he sounds like he has a definite chip on his shoulder, especially with the possibilty of him going back in to the draft. i kinda of like that underdog thing.

he is farther along on his development than we would get with that 2nd round pick, so i would not mind keeping him, although i'd understand if the chayka was looking to make more of a splash and draft his own guys. bleakley is kind of just a wild card at this point.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I like bleakley, myself, not sure what they are going to do.

He is a RHS, which we need, so I say give the kid a shot. Like you mentioned, he is further along than we could draft with the pick (most likely). I'm fine either way, but I'm guessing they'll take the pick (unless he is "analytically sound")

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
If the 2nd we can get from Bleakly can move our 20 up to grab a Fabrro McAvoy, pull the trigger.

If it is included in a trade for an establish defensman, by all means.

Otherwise keep him. Unfortunately this needs to be decided before the draft.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
I'm assuming he's been impressive. Any scouting report?
Lots of little good stuff. A couple of forechecks forcing turnovers. Looked pretty strong on the puck. His forecheck sparked the winning goal for Red Deer last night. Echo the "chip on his shoulder" thing. He's two years older and more mature than the kid we'd get with the 53 ... very interesting problem to have.

Tanguay scored more points than Boedker post-trade. Plus we got Wood and Bleackley. And Colorado didn't even make the playoffs. Why, exactly, did Maloney get fired?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think they'll take the 53rd. The pick can turn into anything, so it has more value than just Bleakley. We saw that with the Rundblad trade. If we're looking to move up or deal the pick outright, I think it has more value than Bleakley.

That said, I wouldn't mind grabbing Bleakley with one of our later picks if he's still available.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Take the pick. I'm sure Bleakley sill be there at 53. If you really don't like anyone else available better, that's your chance to take him with the pick. I think he'll be there in rounds 3-5. Maybe later with character concerns.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
If it really was his attitude and conditioning that caused him to fall out of favor in Colorado then I'd stay away from Bleakley pretty easily and take the pick.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think they'll take the 53rd. The pick can turn into anything, so it has more value than just Bleakley. We saw that with the Rundblad trade. If we're looking to move up or deal the pick outright, I think it has more value than Bleakley.

That said, I wouldn't mind grabbing Bleakley with one of our later picks if he's still available.

Take the pick. I'm sure Bleakley sill be there at 53. If you really don't like anyone else available better, that's your chance to take him with the pick. I think he'll be there in rounds 3-5. Maybe later with character concerns.

If it really was his attitude and conditioning that caused him to fall out of favor in Colorado then I'd stay away from Bleakley pretty easily and take the pick.

I would keep him. He is a first round pick, and maybe what all has happened to him, it may have opened his eyes. In most cases who ever is there at 53 will not be as good as Bleakley.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

If he is turning heads at the Memorial Cup then it is hard to predict if he would be there at our 3rd (don't we have to give up our 3rd since we couldn't return the 4th to Philly?)

He still has more games, let's see what else he can prove but if we keep him our center depth turns into:
Strome
Devo
McInnis
Bleakley
Dauphin
Gaudet

It would take a lot of busts to not be able to fill the center spot on line 1,3 and 4 from that group.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Philly has our 2017 3rd. If we can re-acquire a 2016 4th (NYR has ours), we then have the option to give either that pick or the 2017 3rd to Philly.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Philly has our 2017 3rd. If we can re-acquire a 2016 4th (NYR has ours), we then have the option to give either that pick or the 2017 3rd to Philly.

So there is a good chance we don't pick again until the 5th.

I'm leaning toward keeping Bleackley unless there is a trade to be had with the 53rd.

Dauphin-Bleackley-Samuelsson is a nice looking 4th.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
He still has more games

I believe we have to sign him soon, so I'm not sure how many more games we can wait. I think he would be worth signing, even if he just ends up a strong AHLer with occasional call-up possibilities.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Deadline to sign him is next Wednesday (June 1), so we'll see the rest of his Memorial Cup.

I wonder if anyone would bother to trade for his rights, maybe for that 4th rounder we owe Philly?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Deadline to sign him is next Wednesday (June 1), so we'll see the rest of his Memorial Cup.

I wonder if anyone would bother to trade for his rights, maybe for that 4th rounder we owe Philly?
If we don't sign him, we'll get a compensatory 2nd. Because Bleackley was drafted 23OA, we'll get the 23rd pick of the 2nd round (53OA) as compensation.

I'd be open to trading Bleackley / that 2 for a package that includes a 4th, but trading a 2nd for a 4th would be poor business indeed. Even if Chayka isn't Maloney, I doubt he's a poor enough trader to do that. Few advanced stats suggest 4th rounders are better players than 2nd rounders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad