Memorial cup

mobizziness

Aug 9, 2015
Toronto
Plus the leafs haven't really had anything to cheer about for years , even the broadcasters are giddy. It's actually pretty sad to watch. They get the same amount of press like the raptors and jays. Raptors and Jays are understandable as Canada has no other NBA or MLB teams. The only Toronto team that really doesn't are the Argos.

As I am typing this "Mitch Marner and the Knights take on the Huskies"

During the broadcast they are looking at how Marner could be breaking the record for most points in the memorial cup. They list a bunch of players who have had 8 points in 5 games. And how Marner has 9 in 2 games. Not even mentioning how Dvorak has 5 goals and 8 points in 2 games.

you realize that the memorial cup is a canadian tournament hosted by canadian television networks pandering to mostly canadian teams who all missed the playoffs

dvorak is going to be a great player, who cares how much they talk about him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
you realize that the memorial cup is a canadian tournament hosted by canadian television networks pandering to mostly canadian teams who all missed the playoffs

Thanks for dropping by!

Is your username a reference to 93 'til Infinity by The Souls of Mischief?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Nah. It's just that all of the players on the other teams are busts. They should've stepped up.

Seriously. Go check out the Dylan Strome thread, the Provorov thread, the Tkachuk thread and the Dvorak thread. Majority of posts are about Marner. And both Strome and Provorov are overrated and probably not going to be effective NHL players. Marner is Patrick Kane but with Selke caliber defense, while Dvorak and Tkachuk are Sam Gagner and Kostitsyn. Both are passengers just benefitting from Mitch Marner. Neither is likely to be an effective NHL prospect.

Not only is Marner the best prospect in history but all of the other prospects are wholly unimpressive and none are likely to ever become much.

It's pretty entertaining. Then if anyone says anything back they have an anti leaf bias. Sad for the rational leaf fans.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
you realize that the memorial cup is a canadian tournament hosted by Toronto based television networks pandering to mostly maple leaf fans.

Corrected that for you not many people outside of Toronto maple leaf fans care about leaf prospects.

That said Marner is a great prospect and player. Awesome to see him doing so well . And getting the attention he deserves. I wanted him on the Coyotes way before Strome was drafted. But That is why I am not GM . Strome was the right pick for us. I dont have an issue with Marner. Just the biased broadcasting. And I and many out west had issues with that for years. This is nothing new

In other news Dvorak is 4 goals away from beating the record for goals. Set by Hawerchuk and Robitaille. . I believe that the record is 8 . Also 6 more points and he will beat the points record of 14

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The media are all from Canada's largest City who just happened to have drafted Marner. Of course there is biased praise, they are trying to attract and keep the largest possible audience for their business. Think of it like all networks covering the Cavs vs the Raptors. It's very similar. It's like only one team exists. The Memorial Cup only has one team and that team only has one player unless someone else really forces them to report and cover otherwise.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Correction, they pander to their Toronto fan base. I am in the west and do not care at all about the leafs. The extreme media bias is annoying as can be.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So the sports media panders to the area that makes up about 20% of the population of a rather spread out Country, colour me shocked. And I'd be willing to bet that the Leafs are the favorite team of an even greater percentage of NHL fans. They are business that aims to make money so obviously they cater to the viewers desires.
Correction, they pander to their Toronto fan base. I am in the west and do not care at all about the leafs. The extreme media bias is annoying as can be.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Marner does present a very interesting case for player development though? It really looks to me like he has nothing to gain by playing another year in the OHL. Yet I doubt he is ready for the NHL either. It seems that the Leagues are doing the player a disservice by not allowing him to play in the AHL for a year where he can adjust to pro and be challenged at the same time.

mobizziness

Aug 9, 2015
Toronto
Corrected that for you not many people outside of Toronto maple leaf fans care about leaf prospects.

That said Marner is a great prospect and player. Awesome to see him doing so well . And getting the attention he deserves. I wanted him on the Coyotes way before Strome was drafted. But That is why I am not GM . Strome was the right pick for us. I dont have an issue with Marner. Just the biased broadcasting. And I and many out west had issues with that for years. This is nothing new

In other news Dvorak is 4 goals away from beating the record for goals. Set by Hawerchuk and Robitaille. . I believe that the record is 8 . Also 6 more points and he will beat the points record of 14

and it is completely irrelevant whether fans outside of toronto want to hear about it or not, this is a business after all. as annoying as it may be, not realizing that is juvenile.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Marner does present a very interesting case for player development though? It really looks to me like he has nothing to gain by playing another year in the OHL. Yet I doubt he is ready for the NHL either. It seems that the Leagues are doing the player a disservice by not allowing him to play in the AHL for a year where he can adjust to pro and be challenged at the same time.

TSN interviewed Babcock last week and when asked if Marner will be in the NHL next season, he responded that he could not say either way but it did not matter as he does not have to make the decision right now.

He also said that there is a lot of work for Marner in the summer (conditioning etc.) so he will see how Marner shows up in September.

For us, I think this is also something to keep in mind in regards to Strome/Perlini/Dvorak etc. There will be a lot of work for them in the summer to get them closer to NHL ready.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Honestly I'm not sure why many of us care if they talk about our prospects or not. Sure the recognition is nice but we all know what we have. It's kind of like work, it's nice to hear good job for doing your job. You know you're excelling but at the end of the day it's you're job and if your boss didn't say anything it doesn't matter.

I'm honestly just happy that we have pieces to be proud of. Don't need the rest of the world's approval on it.

rt

May 13, 2004

He can play in the NHL.

Look at Kane this rookie season:
626968823_1cb0f6e1da_o.jpg

This is Johnny Hockey:
Gamma-Barb_web.jpg

Marner is no smaller or weaker than either. Is he as elusive? Nope. Might he get run over a bunch like Gagner did as a rookie not ready? Yep. But Gagner still put up 49pts and Marner can too.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I didn't mean just on size, he will have to show a lot better than last year's camp. Gagner might not be the best development plan to follow! LOL! It would be nice if there was an option to ease such a player into pro hockey.
He can play in the NHL.

This is Johnny Hockey:
Gamma-Barb_web.jpg

Marner is no smaller or weaker than either. Is he as elusive? Nope. Might he get run over a bunch like Gagner did as a rookie not ready? Yep. But Gagner still put up 49pts and Marner can too.

rt

May 13, 2004
Gagner was thrown right to the wolves. The Leafs did the right thing with Marner. I don't think he needs any AHL time, personally. I think he'll be fine.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Marner deserves the praise. The NHL is a different beast. Adjustment period will be cruel.

Dvorak can play his game today in NHL and not be out of place. He's a treat to watch. He is what I expected Horvat to be.
Horvat IS that. Another London Knight making good. Struggled mightily in 14/15 when he could have still been in London, but he was good this season.

This entire Knights team has looked like Team Iceland in that first game when they beat the Ducks 12-1. The passing and forechecking have been absolutely sublime.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He can play in the NHL.

This is Johnny Hockey:
Gamma-Barb_web.jpg

That picture of Johnny Hockey reminds me of the Toby Keith song ''How Do You Like Me Know''. I wonder how many girls are kicking themselves?:laugh:

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
This is so hilariously accurate. Great job rt

Lol so true.

Dvorak with an assist on the first goal..

9 points in 3 games ..

Huskies actually not playing bad ... Very physical which is the only way to slow the top line down .. They really need to stay out of the penalty box.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Lol so true.

Dvorak with an assist on the first goal..

9 points in 3 games ..

Huskies actually not playing bad ... Very physical which is the only way to slow the top line down .. They really need to stay out of the penalty box.

Dvorak matching the physicality. Marner getting knocked around a bit.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Some of you guys might want to avoid Toronto media sites tonight!!

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Like all really talented players Marner just gets points. 3 assists so far but the first two were barely secondary assists. What's the old saying, you have to be good to be lucky?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad