TSN: McKenzie | O’Reilly would be absolute godsend to Canadiens

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Between Galchenyuk and Drouin I’d rather keep Galchenyuk.

Is there an area Drouin is better than Galchenyuk? Maybe vision? But not by much.

Getting rid of your best prospect without getting back a legit top 6C is amateurish GMing.

I think Drouin is clearly a better skater than Galchenyuk. The caveat being is that Chucky's skating is much better than he's given credit for.

His skating style is visually awkward, which adds to the narrative that it's poor. It really isn't. He has powerful strides but could have better acceleration, and he's very good on his edges.

I agree they both have good vision but also can hang on to the puck too long. Both good passers, but Chucky's saucer is fantastic. Galchenyuk was the only one who could anticipate what Radulov would do and they were highly successful together for that reason. Both need to play with a guy who can get possession and protect it.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
maybe if he (O'Reilly ) played on the 4th line in Buffalo , he would get noticed by Bergevin....

Was rumors at the time Habs was after him in Colorado....Avs got Zadorov,Grigorenko,Compher,and a 2nd....for O'Reilly /McGinn
And at the time Zadorov was an almost Chara-sized blue chip big D prospect, and Grigorenko was a guy who was supposed to go top 5 in the 2012 draft. Even back then, our mediocre drafting wouldn't let us play at the high stakes table..unless you wanted to trade Subban, pac or galchenyuk plus for him. We didn't have what it takes to get Ryan O'reilly, we had what it takes to get his brother Cal O'reilly. Same story with Ryan Johansen, we didn't have a Seth Jones, unless you wanted Subban for Johansen....and now Weber wouldn't even get you that return.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Keep Mete

I think with more confidence and a longer leash, no one could stop him from entering the O-zone, he's too quick and shifty. I would love to see what he could do with Subban like confidence..
I love Mete but he has not shown that he can shoot the puck harder than a soft, fluffy pillow. As a small, offensive player, it is something that does concern me.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I love Mete but he has not shown that he can shoot the puck harder than a soft, fluffy pillow. As a small, offensive player, it is something that does concern me.
Ya he doesn't have the shot, but his speed and skill with the puck is key to the new NHL. I would love to keep them both.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
And at the time Zadorov was an almost Chara-sized blue chip big D prospect, and Grigorenko was a guy who was supposed to go top 5 in the 2012 draft. Even back then, our mediocre drafting wouldn't let us play at the high stakes table..unless you wanted to trade Subban, pac or galchenyuk plus for him. We didn't have what it takes to get Ryan O'reilly, we had what it takes to get his brother Cal O'reilly. Same story with Ryan Johansen, we didn't have a Seth Jones, unless you wanted Subban for Johansen....and now Weber wouldn't even get you that return.
Grigorenko was a busted prospect in 2015 and everyone knew it.

Jul 6, 2016
We need to know what our 1st will become before hand, if we can land Dahlin, Shvechnikov or Zadina it's no deal.

But IF that pick is 4th or lower, Habs could try to get ROR. Those prospects are years away from NHL hockey. Same for the ones selected by the Habs last June.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
But IF that pick is 4th or lower, Habs could try to get ROR. Those prospects are years away from NHL hockey. Same for the ones selected by the Habs last June.

O’Reilly isn’t going to suddenly turn this team into contenders. The Habs need to start hanging onto their top draft picks and develop them.

They are years away from being contenders anyways right now. Why not start accumulating draft picks and developing prospects. Build the team around the draft.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
O’Reilly isn’t going to suddenly turn this team into contenders. The Habs need to start hanging onto their top draft picks and develop them.

They are years away from being contenders anyways right now. Why not start accumulating draft picks and developing prospects. Build the team around the draft.
Its the only way to go. Our elite talent are Pacioretty, Weber and Price, which all are going towards the end of their careers and Pacioretty most likely gone this summer.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Its the only way to go. Our elite talent are Pacioretty, Weber and Price, which all are going towards the end of their careers and Pacioretty most likely gone this summer.
Trade everyone and start over. But MB needs to be gone first and foremost.

Pacioretty is an easy trade.
Weber can be easily traded to a team that needs to hit the cap ceiling.
Price could be traded to a couple teams, Philly comes to mind, they have an aging core and have never been able to have decent goaltending.. maybe Edmonton, Vancouver...

Reactions: mariolemieux66

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Absolutely NOT INTERESTED in giving up futures for him. He is 27 and is being paid 7.5Mil.

HE IS SCOTT GOMEZ!!!!

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Trade everyone and start over. But MB needs to be gone first and foremost.

Pacioretty is an easy trade.
Weber can be easily traded to a team that needs to hit the cap ceiling.
Price could be traded to a couple teams, Philly comes to mind, they have an aging core and have never been able to have decent goaltending.. maybe Edmonton, Vancouver...
Yep!
Take bad salaries back in return for Price and maybe Weber. I am at a point where i will be willing to take a Ladd, Lucic, Eriksson contract to ship Price out of town. We are not winning with this team and for at least another 5 years, so why not do it!?

Reactions: Cobra Commander

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
O'Reilly would obviously make this team better, but he's not the answer at the #1 C position. A godsend would be Tavares.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
I think Drouin is clearly a better skater than Galchenyuk. The caveat being is that Chucky's skating is much better than he's given credit for.

His skating style is visually awkward, which adds to the narrative that it's poor. It really isn't. He has powerful strides but could have better acceleration, and he's very good on his edges.

I agree they both have good vision but also can hang on to the puck too long. Both good passers, but Chucky's saucer is fantastic. Galchenyuk was the only one who could anticipate what Radulov would do and they were highly successful together for that reason. Both need to play with a guy who can get possession and protect it.
Galchenyuk is a favourite of mine but his skating is an issue. He makes up for it with an unreal shot and hands but he stops moving his feet when he dangles and he keeps his legs wide like a tripod. I am worried he will try to go around someone like that one days and go knee on knee. Unfortunately, guys with that kind of stride use up too much energy to get going and so don’t have long careers like the guys who are effortless skaters.

Edit: Watch Brandon Prust imitate Alex Galchenyuk at #Habs practice

Link to video of Prust imitating galchenyuk. Pretty funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: lamp9post

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

What's with this trend of ascribing opposing opinions as "narratives"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad