TSN: McKenzie | O’Reilly would be absolute godsend to Canadiens

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by justafan22, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Nedved

Nedved Registered User

**** it. let's rebuild, I don't want other team's scrubs. just be **** for 5 years and build a team. If we don't get tavares don't settle on o'reilly. just be patient. the summer scares me for habs hockey, eller trade, shaw trade, pk trade, alzner signing. jesus. it hasn't been too good. at least we had radulov only to no resign him. ahhhh...terrified for the off-season.

2. mariolemieux66

mariolemieux66 Registered User

hehe...hehe!
    I would take a scrub as part of the rebuild if its a cap dump where we get an asset back with it.

3. ImNeverWrong

ImNeverWrong THE HF ALPHA

Galchenyuk is a center. But you know our idiot in charge doesn't want to be proven wrong...

Cobra Commander likes this.
  4. ImNeverWrong

ImNeverWrong THE HF ALPHA

Watch them give a 5 year deal to bozak. Lol.

Runner77 likes this.
  5. WG

WG Registered User

As expected. You asked how we could have possibly been in the mix for ROR and were given two legitimate possibilities. And of course you just dismissed them both because you were never interested in actually considering how we might have made any trade. Moreso just helping perpetuate the excuse-laden narrative for Dear Leader.

As a centrepiece player, I'd argue that Gallagher was the best available piece vs. the guys Colorado got from Buffalo. He was a Calder finalist, then 24G-47Pts in year two, with all of the boatloads of intangibles that NHL execs love. And signed to what most agreed was a good long term contract. At the time of the trade Grigs has played part of two seasons in the NHL with 9 points in 43 games, along with concerns about his work ethic. He wasn't a bust then, still too young for that, but it's not hindsight to suggest there were warning signs he might not work out. Zadorov was a good piece, but Beaulieu was still well regarded at that time.

And while I would not have enjoyed trading Galchenyuk, if the team is hell bent on using him the way they have, then I think the team would be better off with a legit C. If we didn't have Juulsen I don't think too many people would be pining for him back, he's fairly replaceable as a prospect.

But anyway, carry on. It was simply impossible for Bergevin to do anything. But at least he tried, maybe.

6. Habsawce

Habsawce Registered User

Fake news: Centres aren't traded.

7. Habs

Habs Registered User

why would Buffalo trade him to Montreal?

8. Habsawce

Habsawce Registered User

What does it matter where you trade him when you're constantly finishing dead last anyway? What's the worse that could happen? They could finish super duper last, I guess.

9. Runner77

Runner77 **********************************************

Can't take this centre thing anymore.

I'd much prefer they add even more draft picks in the next three years and try to corner the market. It's the only currency that matters right now. I know they have a lot of holes to fill but they can't keep chasing players who aren't even bona fide no. 1Cs. This has got to end.

mariolemieux66 and CHfan1 like this.
  10. Subbanned

Subbanned Registered User

O'Reilly would be great but I don't see the Sabres trading him at all, let alone to us within the division. Where would that get them?

11. Noob616

Noob616 Registered User

Maybe the price is too high (I certainly wouldn't move Galchenyuk+1st round) but I don't think "he's not a real 1C" is a good reason to avoid trading for O'Reilly. This "#1C" stuff feels like the perfect being the enemy of the good. The Habs desperately need a 1C but they also desperately need any center help, and O'Reilly would be the best center on the Habs by a huge margin.

I don't think O'Reilly is the answer as a 1C, just looking within the division he's obviously not a Stamkos/Matthews/Barkov/Bergeron level player, but the Habs don't even have a 2C, and they don't really have any defensively strong centers either. I like Danault and he's been fine in his role as a 2C for the Habs but he's completely overmatched at 2C within the division by Point/Kadri/Krejci/Trocheck, or even Kuznetsov/Malkin for that matter. It might seem "unfair" to criticize Danault for not being as good as those players but the reality is you'll have to beat those teams to go far in the playoffs, and at the very least O'Reilly lets you go into a series comfortable that at least one of your top 6 centers stacks up with the opposing 2C.

12. mariolemieux66

mariolemieux66 Registered User

hehe...hehe!
    Not interested in ROR.
    Tank and rebuild for a few years, then with a solid good of prospects you can make additions through trades or on the UFA market. We dont have the assets to trade for a player like ROR without creating holes somewhere else in the lineup and good UFAs wont want to come here right now or we will have to severely overpay like we did with Alzner.

Runner77 likes this.