TSN: McKenzie | O’Reilly would be absolute godsend to Canadiens

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
He's not as good as cap space

The Molson family doesn't have much money to spend guys, keep that in mind. Especially not with the artisanal hot dogs coming next season. Frankfurters don't pay for themselves.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
His absolute ceiling would be ROR by the way.

Maybe...but I'd rather trade someone like Pacioretty + or unfortunately Galchenyuk + instead of Poehling and have good center depth for once

Drouin - O' Reilly - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Danault - Scherbak
Lehkonen - Poehling - Hudon

That's a playoff top 9 group

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I wanted ROR with the Habs for a long time but I feel like it's a similar case as Drouin where it's like the apple in the garden of eden, something that seems attractive but you're gonna regret it once you have it.

Remember the Sabres finished last with ROR, he's a good player but not a game changer. Habs need to have their own Matthews and Sid right now and the only way you're gonna do that is by going full rebuild mode for the next few years. I know that guys like ROR and Tavares are attractive but this is not what they should be doing.
You can have a team with a gamechanger miss the playoffs. Isn't McDavid a gamechanger? Not that ROR is anywhere as good but you get the point. Buffalo is just an all around terrible team.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
If I’m Buffalo I ask for Galchenyuk or Poehling.

Galchenyuk makes the most sense because he played with Jack Eichel at WJC and his cap hit is $4.9 mil. Probably Galchenyuk prospect and 2nd round pick.

Buffalo probably want Noah Juulsen as the prospect but we say no.

beh3moth

May 27, 2010
I think Galchenyuk is as good as gone. They don't seem to value him that highly and that doesn't bode well from a trading perspective.

I'm going to be so f***ing pissed if Galchenyuk gets traded. The guy oozes skill and his shot from the circle is lethal. We need *more* players like him, not less!

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Maybe...but I'd rather trade someone like Pacioretty + or unfortunately Galchenyuk + instead of Poehling and have good center depth for once

Drouin - O' Reilly - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Danault - Scherbak
Lehkonen - Poehling - Hudon

That's a playoff top 9 group
I don’t think so.

Drouin - Tavares - Gallagher
Galchenyuk- O’Reilly - Pacioretty
Lehkonen - Danault- Hudon

That’s a playoff top 9. Unfortunately, its not gonna happen.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Honestly they should have acquired him back when he was traded the first time. He has always been a perfect fit for the dinosaur defense first coaches that we exclusively hire. He's a very well rounded player, an actual center, and has high level offense too. He was a no brainer before and is a no brainer now but Bergevin doesn't even know he exists because he is unaware of any center players existing.

What do we trade in order to acquire ROR the first time he was traded? Go package up a deal that is better or equal to what the Sabres provided back when. Show us how easy that would of been? ;)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
ROR is a piece you add to become cup contenders, not a piece you add to be cup pretenders. I rather focus on youth and another top 10 lottery pick next year. That’s how we are going to fill the voids.

If we are able to sign Tavares, then I would support an all in move to acquire ROR. In that case, I may trade Poehling. But not if it means ROR is our #1C. You want to be middle of the pack for several years? That’s how you do it!

Don’t trade any youth or top 100 picks! We need more grade A prospects and to stay patient! ROR would be a massive upgrade up the middle but no way he turns us into contenders

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Bergevin has worked very hard to diminish Chucky's value. He'll reap what he sowed.

Galchenyuk may just walk after his contract is over. It is a real possibility. Hit free agency and have probably a dozen or more teams wanting your services at inflated prices. Make more money, choose your destination - why not for a young man.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002

I am not really good as being fantasy GM. But what do you think of the below two proposals. Not saying it solve all our problems, not saying its even realistic. But i think it has the merit of being some options habs could investigate.

Habs improve their C with ROR and Dubé in the pipeline and got Brodie to be with Weber.

Buffalo got a talented wingers to plays a top6 role. Could be dynamite with Eichel. To sweeten the deal habs send two picks. In exchange we get rid of Benn salary (or Schlemko).

Calgary got some offense. Pacioretty can also be flip for asset at deadline should the flames miss playoffs again. Also habs got Dubé. Send a 2nd draft pick because flames got no high pick this year.

Im sure it would not be unanimous. Almost no trade are.

But curious about what you think.

At the draft, habs draft LD Hughes or Walshtrom

Trades
montreal_canadiens.svg
MTL

1. O'Reilly, R
buffalo_sabres.svg
BUF

1. Galchenyuk, A
  2. Benn, J
  3. 2018 2nd round pick (CHI)
  4. 2018 4th round pick (EDM)

montreal_canadiens.svg
MTL

1. Brodie, T
  2. Dubé, D
calgary_flames.svg
CGY

1. Pacioretty, M
  2. 2018 2nd round pick (MTL)

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Honestly they should have acquired him back when he was traded the first time. He has always been a perfect fit for the dinosaur defense first coaches that we exclusively hire. He's a very well rounded player, an actual center, and has high level offense too. He was a no brainer before and is a no brainer now but Bergevin doesn't even know he exists because he is unaware of any center players existing.

Exactly. Bergy had the chance. I will never understand why he did not outbid buffalo on the earlier trade.

Anothew Bergy f***up. Forget ROR now. On the downturn. No thanks on a tanking team.

Reactions: Runner77

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Galchenyuk may just walk after his contract is over. It is a real possibility. Hit free agency and have probably a dozen or more teams wanting your services at inflated prices. Make more money, choose your destination - why not for a young man.
I'm surprised he hasn't asked for a trade yet.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

I am not really good as being fantasy GM. But what do you think of the below two proposals. Not saying it solve all our problems, not saying its even realistic. But i think it has the merit of being some options habs could investigate.

Habs improve their C with ROR and Dubé in the pipeline and got Brodie to be with Weber.

Buffalo got a talented wingers to plays a top6 role. Could be dynamite with Eichel. To sweeten the deal habs send two picks. In exchange we get rid of Benn salary (or Schlemko).

Calgary got some offense. Pacioretty can also be flip for asset at deadline should the flames miss playoffs again. Also habs got Dubé. Send a 2nd draft pick because flames got no high pick this year.

Im sure it would not be unanimous. Almost no trade are.

But curious about what you think.

At the draft, habs draft LD Hughes or Walshtrom

Trades
montreal_canadiens.svg
MTL

1. O'Reilly, R
buffalo_sabres.svg
BUF

1. Galchenyuk, A
  2. Benn, J
  3. 2018 2nd round pick (CHI)
  4. 2018 4th round pick (EDM)

montreal_canadiens.svg
MTL

1. Brodie, T
  2. Dubé, D
calgary_flames.svg
CGY

1. Pacioretty, M
  2. 2018 2nd round pick (MTL)

Really at this stage I'm not even entertaining the idea of trading any of our picks at this years draft unless it's for a player I absolutely can't live without. I can live without ROR. Trades like this is why our cupboards are empty, and why we don't get players like Pastrnak.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm surprised he hasn't asked for a trade yet.

Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall? I'd bet he has -- Galchenyuk's dad is the meddling type, he must have inflated his head so much that anyone who is an agent for him is performing quite the chore.

Reactions: groovejuice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->