TSN: McKenzie | O’Reilly would be absolute godsend to Canadiens

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
McKenzie | O’Reilly would be absolute godsend to Canadiens

“And again, I don’t know how eager – I understand what Ray is saying, and in a vacuum I agree 100 percent. I mean, Ryan O’Reilly would be an absolute godsend to the Montreal Canadiens because of the various things he does and the fact he’s a natural center. The fact that, if I remember correctly, played in the World Cup. He can be an elite shutdown guy who has also got some offensive ability and is one of the better faceoff men in the game.
“But how eager would a team like Buffalo be to trade him within the division. You may want a culture change, you may want to shake things up. And in order to trade Ryan O’Reilly with the contract he’s got, I don’t think there’s any question Buffalo is going to have to take some money back.

What would the package be if money's going back? Shaw? Alzner? + one of Mete/Poehling?

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Good replacement for Pleks. You'd need both O'Reilly and Chucky on the team, imo. The Habs may not have the horses to get him.

Reactions: Redux91

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Considering the way this org has treated him, I wouldn't hate that deal provided that's the entire deal.

Well in that case though if they do plan on trading Galchenyuk then they need to be comfortable in keeping Pacioretty. But that' my opinion. can't afford to trade both, as much as we suck down the middle we don't have that many offensive weapons on the wings out there.

Jul 6, 2016
If they cannot sign Tavares as a UFA, ROR is the second best solution. Yes, they will have to pay a hefty price to get him.

But that price could be Patches or Galchenyuk + ????

On the other hand, if Habs can sign Tavares and trade for ROR. that would be awesome. Danault would automatically become the 3rd line centerman, one of the best in the league. That would be a very, very good center line.

On the wings, Habs would still have Galchy or Patches, Drouin, Gally, Lehkonen, Scherback, Byron, Hudon... And why not sign another UFA like Neil, Perron or JVR ?

D-corp needs help too....

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Its kind of crazy how the stars never seem aligned for the habs to land a center...

the exact type of center they need could be available - but he plays in the division
they're awful one year, draft player deemed to be the top eligible center (Galchenyuk) in his draft - he ends up not being a center
They're awful this year, have a top 4 pick - there's no center projected to be in the top 10 this year.

Cruel

Jul 6, 2016
Its kind of crazy how the stars never seem aligned for the habs to land a center...

the exact type of center they need could be available - but he plays in the division
they're awful one year, draft player deemed to be the top eligible center (Galchenyuk) in his draft - he ends up not being a center
They're awful this year, have a top 4 pick - there's no center projected to be in the top 10 this year.

Cruel

How come teams like Anaheim, TB and Nashvile (to name a few) can find gems later on in the first round and subsequent rounds ?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

Cruel

the Habs tank in the wrong years...lol....why could we not tank when McDavid or Matthews/ Laine was there...lol no we tank for Nail Yak and now Dahlin... i would take McDavid over Dahlin

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
How come teams like Anaheim, TB and Nashvile (to name a few) can find gems later on in the first round and subsequent rounds ?

Why can't all teams find gems later in the first round and subsequent rounds? It would be nice, but I don't see the point in holding the Habs to impossible standards. Yes, Bergevin has failed to address the C position, but expecting him to find a gem C in the later rounds of the draft is unfair.

Anyway, if we can somehow parlay Pacioretty into ROR, we should do it. He would fix a number of holes, but ROR is not going to singlehandedly change our fortunes. He would have a similar impact as prime Plekanec and we never won much with him as our 1b/#2 centre.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Honestly they should have acquired him back when he was traded the first time. He has always been a perfect fit for the dinosaur defense first coaches that we exclusively hire. He's a very well rounded player, an actual center, and has high level offense too. He was a no brainer before and is a no brainer now but Bergevin doesn't even know he exists because he is unaware of any center players existing.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Honestly they should have acquired him back when he was traded the first time. He has always been a perfect fit for the dinosaur defense first coaches that we exclusively hire. He's a very well rounded player, an actual center, and has high level offense too. He was a no brainer before and is a no brainer now but Bergevin doesn't even know he exists because he is unaware of any center players existing.

maybe if he (O'Reilly ) played on the 4th line in Buffalo , he would get noticed by Bergevin....

Was rumors at the time Habs was after him in Colorado....Avs got Zadorov,Grigorenko,Compher,and a 2nd....for O'Reilly /McGinn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad