TSN: McKenzie | O’Reilly would be absolute godsend to Canadiens

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Anybody remember me saying exactly what McKenzie said about the Habs and O'Reilly about a year and a half ago? I proposed a deal for him and got called an idiot. It made even more sense then. Now I think it's too late; I mean, he would improve the Habs, but not enough. The damage by MB has been done.

I proposed Sergachev, who was traded for a poor man's Alexandre Daigle; 2 2017 2nd round picks, which turned out to be Brook (who?...yep, that's right) and Ikonen; one of McCarron, Scherbak, Juulsen, or Hudon, all of which turned out to be either terrible or meh; and Plekanec who was traded for nothing and is set to become a UFA. It looked like a bit of a gamble at the time, but it would have paid off; and having O'Reilly for effectively Sergachev would be much better than what we have now. I think the Sabres would have bit too. Maybe things would have turned out different in last year's playoffs, and we would be contending. But MB lol.

Don't you wish I was the Habs GM? :sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Here we go again......

Our team is supposed to be adding skills/talent, not replace them. Chuckie should not go anywhere. (I wouldn't be surprised if that idiot GM trades him though).

I think Galchenyuk is as good as gone. They don't seem to value him that highly and that doesn't bode well from a trading perspective.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Anybody remember me saying exactly what McKenzie said about the Habs and O'Reilly about a year and a half ago? I proposed a deal for him and got called an idiot. It made even more sense then. Now I think it's too late; I mean, he would improve the Habs, but not enough. The damage by MB has been done.

I proposed Sergachev, who was traded for a poor man's Alexandre Daigle; 2 2017 2nd round picks, which turned out to be Brook (who?...yep, that's right) and Ikonen; one of McCarron, Scherbak, Juulsen, or Hudon, all of which turned out to be either terrible or meh; and Plekanec who was traded for nothing and is set to become a UFA. It looked like a bit of a gamble at the time, but it would have paid off; and having O'Reilly for effectively Sergachev would be much better than what we have now. I think the Sabres would have bit too. Maybe things would have turned out different in last year's playoffs, and we would be contending. But MB lol.

No. That's way way wayyy too much. And Brook is one of our best prospects lmao

Reactions: groovejuice

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I wanted ROR with the Habs for a long time but I feel like it's a similar case as Drouin where it's like the apple in the garden of eden, something that seems attractive but you're gonna regret it once you have it.

Remember the Sabres finished last with ROR, he's a good player but not a game changer. Habs need to have their own Matthews and Sid right now and the only way you're gonna do that is by going full rebuild mode for the next few years. I know that guys like ROR and Tavares are attractive but this is not what they should be doing.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/trade-proposal-thread-part-9.2163271/page-8#post-125847989

There were only a few people that didn't like because of Sergachev (which is fair, since he's going to be really good) and others thought it was unrealistic and Buffalo wouldn't do it (including you).

Sergachev being traded for Drouin doesn't affect the value he should have had for Montreal. And calling Drouin a poor man's Daigle is actually crazy.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Habs need to have their own Matthews and Sid right now and the only way you're gonna do that is by going full rebuild mode for the next few years. I know that guys like ROR and Tavares are attractive but this is not what they should be doing.

Bang on. However, never going to happen while this GM continues to have a job.

Reactions: Kimota

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
No. That's way way wayyy too much. And Brook is one of our best prospects lmao
A top prospect, a couple picks, and a low level prospect for a top 2 way center? I don't think that's too much. Either way, we'd be better off than what we ended up with. And we'll see about Brook; prospects like him are a dime a dozen, like 50/50 wether he ever even plays an NHL game.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
A top prospect, a couple picks, and a low level prospect for a top 2 way center? I don't think that's too much. Either way, we'd be better off than what we ended up with. And we'll see about Brook; prospects like him are a dime a dozen, like 50/50 wether he ever even plays an NHL game.

No, we are better off rebuilding. Getting a 2nd line centre isn't going to help anything. We can't compete with Eichel, Matthews, Barkov, Stamkos, Bergeron down the middle. And that's only our own division.

Reactions: Runner77

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
We are in no position to be trading for O'Rielly. The price it would require to get him here would cripple our future, and he by himself does not turn this team around.

We'd be better off just selling Pacioretty off for futures, having a strong draft, having a terrible year next year, getting a new GM, and having another strong draft next year.

But, MB is in total panic mode right now. Say goodbye to next year's first at least and one of our better prospects/young players, because there's no way the Sabres don't get a premium for O'Rielly if they move him out.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
No, we are better off rebuilding. Getting a 2nd line centre isn't going to help anything. We can't compete with Eichel, Matthews, Barkov, Stamkos, Bergeron down the middle. And that's only our own division.
Yes I agree, that's why I said it's too late for O'Reilly now. But, he is a top 2 way center, and I think he's a bit more than just a 2nd liner, that's under-selling him.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
He'd fit in................

Shaw and Shaw
Byron and Byron
Reilly and O'Reilly (Close Enough)

Get this done MB.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
lol they are so similar, it's both sad and funny. You just don't wanna face that though - truth hurts.

I'm seeing Drouin's year for what it is and am disappointed to be sure.

He's not Alexandre Daigle just yet but the comparison is disturbing and eerie -- it's the worst case scenario no one wants any part of.

Reactions: Garbageyuk

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

He's not Alexandre Daigle just yet but the comparison is disturbing and eerie -- it's the worst case scenario no one wants any part of.

AD did not look all that bad the first 4 years. Highly disappointing specially defensively but he was still a good top 6 guy and he did better than Yakupov at first. He did 51 points (best scorer of the team) with the wild right in the middle of the dead puck era. The skill to be a top 6 player was there the drive was not.

I would not call Drouin the next Daigle as he is not a 1st overall pick and well there's only one Daigle anyway. But he has shown this year the same lack of drive to be an effective player. I mean when AG looks like a hard worker next to you it's not looking good ... When i watch Drouin plays the first thing that comes to my mind is AK was working a lot harder than we thought ...

He's still young. But if we don't see any progress next year it will be very worrying.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
AD did not look all that bad the first 4 years. Highly disappointing specially defensively but he was still a good top 6 guy and he did better than Yakupov at first. He did 51 points (best scorer of the team) with the wild right in the middle of the dead puck era. The skill to be a top 6 player was there the drive was not.

I would not call Drouin the next Daigle as he is not a 1st overall pick and well there's only one Daigle anyway. But he has shown this year the same lack of drive to be an effective player. I mean when AG looks like a hard worker next to you it's not looking good ... When i watch Drouin plays the first thing that comes to my mind is AK was working a lot harder than we thought ...

He's still young. But if we don't see any progress next year it will be very worrying.

To be fair, I called him a poor man's Daigle :laugh:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

I get what you are saying, but it ain't happening.
It won't happen for several years....pray to get lucky in the lottery.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
O'Reilly would no doubt help the Canadiens. When your current center depth is Drouin, Danault, De La Rose and McCarron/Froese any solid center would help. The biggest pros and cons that come to mind for me is

Pro:

-He is a good two way center who can shutdown opposing players and put up 50-60 points. Basically Plekanec during his prime with more offense
-He is just entering his prime
-Would allow Drouin to move to his proper position, would also be a good player to pair Drouin with

Cons:
-He isn't a legit top line center, on a true contender he is ideally a 2nd line center
-He has a 7.5M cap hit, even with all the cap space we have, considering all the holes that this lineup has, adding 7.5M isn't any easy pill to take in
-He doesn't make the Habs instant contenders, he's a solid player who barring unexpected effects or other moves would make the Habs a bubble team.

Depending on the price I wouldn't mind getting O'Reilly at all, but I wouldn't overpay for him and a high cap player like Shaw or Alzner should be included in a deal to provide cap flexibility to address the many other problems with the line up (which in turn may mean an overpayment would be needed to get the deal done).

Reactions: Runner77

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

How? Daigle had no interest in the game but had a ton of talent. I don't see the comparable other than the fact they have french names. Drouin is a good player who needs to work harder and play winger not center.

(Mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad