TSN: McKenzie | O’Reilly would be absolute godsend to Canadiens

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Patch is interesting if they can discuss an extension before getting him .
Buf has a ton of Centers , Patch would give Eichel an elite Winger and Max is from the NY area .

There is the age thing but OReilly and Patch are only a couple years apart .

I dont know where the Value difference is between Max and ROR atm . If we could include Shaw or Alzner somehow ! Would be great ;)

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Need to get a 3rd team involved and flip Pacs to them and the assets to the Sabres, would not give up Poehling in the deal

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
ROR would make sense if Subban was never traded for Weber, Shaw was never acquired and extended, Sergachyov wasn't traded for Drouin, Radulov and Markov were re-signed, and Galchenyuk was allowed to develop as a centre.

In short, it's much too late to add anything to the roster.. rebuild is the only answer.

We all know that's not happening though. At least not on purpose.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Watch Bergevin treat this off-season like the GM of a contender would treat the deadline. I have a feeling he'll be flipping picks and prospects left and right for immediate help and the chance of making the playoffs thus potentially saving his job. I hope I'm wrong, but he's got to be desperate.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Its kind of crazy how the stars never seem aligned for the habs to land a center...

the exact type of center they need could be available - but he plays in the division
they're awful one year, draft player deemed to be the top eligible center (Galchenyuk) in his draft - he ends up not being a center
They're awful this year, have a top 4 pick - there's no center projected to be in the top 10 this year.

Cruel
It hurts.

Reactions: 417

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Montreal aren't dealing with Buffalo

The cost for O'Reilly would be Galchenyuk + Juulsen

Last edited:
Reactions: muzion

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Would absolutely love to have O'Reilly come over to our team. Terrific all around hockey player and at $7.5M for the next 5 years, that would be ideal for us. A consistent 50-60 point Centermen, who's awesome in his own zone and a beast at faceoffs.

Sign me up....but it won't happen :)

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If you go to the Buffalo Sabres forum, they're also discussing these McKenzie/Dreger comments.

First of all, they think someone like O'reilly who gave it his all last year, is the last guy that should be traded.

Second, many say the only thing we have that they'd want is our 1st. The fans definitely don't want Pacioretty.

I think Sabres would be interested in giving Eichel one of the elite wingers in the league. And as I mentioned in an earlier post, Habs would be helping Sabres by removing ROR's $7.5M cap off their books for the next 5 years.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
buffalo would demand that our first would need to be included,

MB will not do that.....so this discussion ends there
Why wouldn't MB do that? He'll be looking for short term help to save face. If we don't win 1OA, I could definitely see MB do that. He knows that if he doesn't find a Top-6 C soon he'll get the boot and that 1st pick won't help him keep his job until a couple of years.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I think Sabres would be interested in giving Eichel one of the elite wingers in the league. And as I mentioned in an earlier post, Habs would be helping Sabres by removing ROR's $7.5M cap off their books for the next 5 years.

The only time I hear Habs fans talk about Pacioretty as being one of the elite wingers in the league is when they're talking about trading him.

32 players scored 30 goals this year, 41 scored 29. Gallagher had 31 playing with Plekanec most of the year.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Would absolutely love to have O'Reilly come over to our team. Terrific all around hockey player and at $7.5M for the next 5 years, that would be ideal for us. A consistent 50-60 point Centermen, who's awesome in his own zone and a beast at faceoffs.

Sign me up....but it won't happen :)
A 50-60 pt center, for the price of a Kuznetzov, would limit the team's upside for the future. Cue multiple 1st and 2nd round exits, if we even get there.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
buffalo would demand that our first would need to be included,

MB will not do that.....so this discussion ends there
I wouldn't be so sure, after all, he traded Sergachev (essentially a 1st) for Drouin.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I'd trade Max for him, then use other players such as Byron and Shaw to help build the weak prospect pool. Not sure Buffalo would go for that.

If they forego the prospect / pick package that some suspect will be offered for Max, then they should follow it up with a move or two to add prospect depth.

I like O'Reilly, but he's not a difference maker (see Avs, Sabres). I'd be okay with the acquisition as long as they keep the future in mind.

If you look at 3 of the pillars (*ahem*), and the team's top 3 needs, I could see this:

Trade: O'Reilly
Free Agency: Stastny
Draft: Top 5 pick on defensman to play with Weber

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad