TSN: McKenzie | O’Reilly would be absolute godsend to Canadiens

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think Buffalo minds a 29 y.o 30 goal scorer given their core is super young still.

I guess we can ignore what their fans are saying on the Rumor Forum. ;)

From their perspective, why would they want a player on an expiring contract? Wouldn't it take a sign and trade to entice them?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'd trade Max for him, then use other players such as Byron and Shaw to help build the weak prospect pool. Not sure Buffalo would go for that.

If they forego the prospect / pick package that some suspect will be offered for Max, then they should follow it up with a move or two to add prospect depth.

I like O'Reilly, but he's not a difference maker (see Avs, Sabres). I'd be okay with the acquisition as long as they keep the future in mind.

If you look at 3 of the pillars (*ahem*), and the team's top 3 needs, I could see this:

Trade: O'Reilly
Free Agency: Stastny
Draft: Top 5 pick on defensman to play with Weber

Dahlin is the only D prospect in the draft that may be able to play Weber minutes next season.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Watch Bergevin treat this off-season like the GM of a contender would treat the deadline. I have a feeling he'll be flipping picks and prospects left and right for immediate help and the chance of making the playoffs thus potentially saving his job. I hope I'm wrong, but he's got to be desperate.

I totally agree. Bergevin's vision is short term, I'd say he has to deliver a playoff team that gets mileage, in the next 2-3 years, after that he's not likely to see his contract extended and won't care what the next GM is stuck with. His tenure has been completely destroyed by his failed work over the past 2 years at least and he has sold ownership a bill of goods that involves a quick turnaround based on adding now-pieces to complete Price and Weber. Trading away draft picks and prospects would not be a surprise in this type of situation.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just ****ing rebuild!
****!

You're rooting for the wrong team, if that's what you're hoping for. :laugh:

As am I, by the way. I'd like to see some kind of rebuild but all the signs are pointing to it not happening.

We need to find a Plan B team that does things right. :sarcasm:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
A 50-60 pt center, for the price of a Kuznetzov, would limit the team's upside for the future. Cue multiple 1st and 2nd round exits, if we even get there.

It wouldn't limit anything about the future.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Teams don't always trade base on player's value.

For Buffalo, they gotta get rid some money first.
I'm sure they would like to get rid of Okposo and Moulson first to achieve that but not sure how it's possible.
Their biggest need is on the Left side. Biggest strenght is down the middle.
If they want to trade him, MTL could be a good trade partner.

Always like the player so my opinion is not rational on this one...

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Its kind of crazy how the stars never seem aligned for the habs to land a center...

the exact type of center they need could be available - but he plays in the division
they're awful one year, draft player deemed to be the top eligible center (Galchenyuk) in his draft - he ends up not being a center
They're awful this year, have a top 4 pick - there's no center projected to be in the top 10 this year.

Cruel
We could have landed ROR in 2015 if we had a competent GM.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Its kind of crazy how the stars never seem aligned for the habs to land a center...

the exact type of center they need could be available - but he plays in the division
they're awful one year, draft player deemed to be the top eligible center (Galchenyuk) in his draft - he ends up not being a center
They're awful this year, have a top 4 pick - there's no center projected to be in the top 10 this year.

Cruel
Unfortunately we're mismanaged so badly that we are never in line to get a centre. If we didn't ruin all our prospects and didn't create the worst farm system in the whole league, then maybe we would have the chips to actually trade for a decent player. Instead we are trying to trade scraps. Shaw has been OK but the fact we lost two 2nd's for him was a massive F*** up.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sure we did. We just had an idiot in charge.

Your telling me Galchenyuk, our 1st, and Scherbek weren't tradeable assets?
Not sure how everyone here would feel if Galchenyuk had been traded nor do I know how including him in this deal would of helped at all.

Sure we'd be better down the middle...but we'd be weaker on the wing and no Juulsen on the backend.

Would this team be any better today minus Galchenyuk, Scherbak and 1st (Juulsen)

But with ROR?

Maybe...but if so, only marginally better.

The idea is to add an ROR to what we already have

Reactions: sheed36

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I love ROR but it's gonna cost at least one top asset that we need to trade in order to shore up our defence cause I hate to break it to ya but the dice are stacked against us winning the lottery.

Tavares, Stastny and Bozak are most likely going UFA. In an ideal world (the same one where Drouin is not a center) MB signs Tavares and Stastny or Bozak. I know ROR is a better centerman than those last two but he is going to cost in assets. If we can manage to acquire Tavares and Bozak then the asset you wanted to use on ROR you can trade for a defense partner for Mountain Man. Maybe Goat Boy or Sasquatch Kid.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Unfortunately we're mismanaged so badly that we are never in line to get a centre. If we didn't ruin all our prospects and didn't create the worst farm system in the whole league, then maybe we would have the chips to actually trade for a decent player. Instead we are trying to trade scraps. Shaw has been OK but the fact we lost two 2nd's for him was a massive F*** up.
I think the team has done a poor job drafting past the 1st round, developing players and accumulating assets.

All of those things have contributed to our inability to trade for a center IMO as well as develop one ourselves.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Bergevin does not have the ability to trade for ROR and not get fleeced. That’s the sad part because this guy is a solid top line player

Reactions: LaP

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Not sure how everyone here would feel if Galchenyuk had been traded nor do I know how including him in this deal would of helped at all.

Sure we'd be better down the middle...but we'd be weaker on the wing and no Juulsen on the backend.

Would this team be any better today minus Galchenyuk, Scherbak and 1st (Juulsen)

But with ROR?

Maybe...but if so, only marginally better.

The idea is to add an ROR to what we already have
Would the team be better today? probably not. That's only because of subsequent idiotic moves though. The real question is would the team have been better then, and the answer is yes.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
I think the team has done a poor job drafting past the 1st round, developing players and accumulating assets.

All of those things have contributed to our inability to trade for a center IMO as well as develop one ourselves.
No disagreement there. Like I said-the team is badly mismanaged from top to bottom. Owner, GM, Scouts, Coaches.

Apr 28, 2010
Here we go again......

Our team is supposed to be adding skills/talent, not replace them. Chuckie should not go anywhere. (I wouldn't be surprised if that idiot GM trades him though).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad