McDavid in the 80s

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016

He only reached 40 for a few fractions of a second, if you actually watch the video and look at the readings, he's in the mid 30s for most of the travel time, especially when he's going through the neutral zone, which is what I measured for Orr and compared to McDavid. And results are the speeds are comparable from blue line to blue line, with Orr having the disadvantage of having to use old tech in his skates.

You want to argue who was faster, great, go ahead because we'll never know. But in terms of proving that Bobby Orr could skate with the best in today's game, this is proof towards that conclusion.

And as it relates to this thread, it shows that it's a myth that all players of yesteryear were complete slugs compared to today's players, especially when you add it to the times recorded by guys like Gartner in the fastest skating competition.

Any ways I've said my peace in this thread and the last one. No need to keep making the same arguments over and over. I know what the definition of insanity is. You may have the last word. I know you need it.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
He would be amazing but id suspect he would get boarded, smashed or knee on knee as frusturated teams try and slow him down.

He would have needed protection and even then his crazy speed would have seen him prone to open ice hits or led straight into the boards like how he broke his shoulder.

This would have forced him to slow down. Scott stevens would have been a bad time.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
He only reached 40 for a few fractions of a second, if you actually watch the video and look at the readings, he's in the mid 30s for most of the travel time, especially when he's going through the neutral zone, which is what I measured for Orr and compared to McDavid. And results are the speeds are comparable from blue line to blue line, with Orr having the disadvantage of having to use old tech in his skates.

You want to argue who was faster, great, go ahead because we'll never know. But in terms of proving that Bobby Orr could skate with the best in today's game, this is proof towards that conclusion.

And as it relates to this thread, it shows that it's a myth that all players of yesteryear were complete slugs compared to today's players, especially when you add it to the times recorded by guys like Gartner in the fastest skating competition.

Any ways I've said my peace in this thread and the last one. No need to keep making the same arguments over and over. I know what the definition of insanity is. You may have the last word. I know you need it.
According to Orr and that comment he made about McDavid and his speed relatively recently, he apparently thinks even though it's close, McDavid is faster.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017

During a WC a few years back, Orr himself said that players today were much faster than he ever was.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Your argument is that they hit way harder in the 80’s. It’s the dumbest argument ever. That’s all I’m getting at.

By the way, have you seen McDavid play? You have a better shot at winning the lottery 10 times than hitting him

How so? Cheapshots were a lot more common and rarely penalized with suspensions.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

Don't be hard on them they never saw the real greatest of all time play in their prime. (Gretzky, Orr, and Lemieux) they do not know any better. They are ignorant and don't know it.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Teleport present day McDavid back to 1980. He still has his modern equipment and training. How does his career unfold?

If Gretzky and Lemieux had the same type of coaching and training that McD had as a young hockey player no one would know who McD is because Gretzky and Lemieux would be light years ahead of him. I thinks McD can be the greatest player since Lemieux but you people have no idea how good they really were.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
It's admittedly very hard to watch clips like these and not imagine McDavid dominating that kind of competition. Like...guys just standing still, players falling everywhere, scuffles completely away from the play...
Exactly.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Where did anyone say all players of yesteryear were complete slugs compared to today's game? I was only dispelling the notion that Bobby Orr was faster than McDavid because that was a myth you were trying to perpetuate in a past thread. There has been a massive improvement in overall skill level throughout the NHL and the game is played at a much faster pace than before. The speed of the average skater and overall skating ability in the league is also much better. Did you really think I thought Bobby Orr couldn't skate as fast as many players today because I said he wasn't as fast as McDavid? I don't expect a reply btw, you've already said your peace even though it stems from things I never said.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Don't be hard on them they never saw the real greatest of all time play in their prime. (Gretzky, Orr, and Lemieux) they do not know any better. They are ignorant and don't know it.

Saw them all countless times. Sorry.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It's admittedly very hard to watch clips like these and not imagine McDavid dominating that kind of competition. Like...guys just standing still, players falling everywhere, scuffles completely away from the play...

The game was a complete mess compared to today. Look at how McDavid scores and sets up goals at will when he's at his best today. On his worst day back then it's hard to imagine him not scoring more than a few points. As always in these threads older folks take it as an insult that we think a player today who skates circles around several players as fast or faster than any back then on a regular basis, who are also much more equipped to stop him from scoring, not to mention the goalies, would score more than 3 points per game in a hockey league that predominantly featured slow defensemen and teams that played worse defensive systems than anything modern players were used to playing in growing up. You take McDavid who is hands down the best pond hockey player of all time and put him in an actual pond hockey league and he would make a mockery of Wayne Gretzky, it simply wouldn't be remotely close.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Gretzky makes people look that way.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
You take McDavid who is hands down the best pond hockey player of all time and put him in an actual pond hockey league and he would make a mockery of Wayne Gretzky, it simply wouldn't be remotely close.

This "hands down the best pond hockey player of all time" is currently behind in the scoring race, approximately 30 games into the current NHL season. My money would be on pond hockey players named Orr, Gretzky, and Lemieux. You need to go back and watch what a guy like Lemieux can do on breakaways and penalty shots; McDavid does not have anywhere close to his level of ability to finish, hence no goal scoring titles so far - and he's probably not going to win the Rocket this year either. McDavid is the best offensive player of today, that's all you're getting.

Last edited:

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
People tend to underestimate the incredible effect that technology has on “skill” in hockey.

My brother was an awesome player with in the 90s. He finally bought a new pair of skates this year and the effects were profound! He told me that even though he is out of shape now, he feels his skating skills are much better than when he was in his prime 25 years ago! He also feels his shot instantly became much better when he bought his first composite stick.

Most of the observed improved skating and shooting skill we see is simply due to advancements in technology, and we shouldn’t underestimate the profound impact it has had on “skill”.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If you really believe that a current AHL guy would dominate the 80's NHL like a star of the 80's would (eg. Peter Stastny or Denis Savard), you're digging yourself into a deeper hole.

With their equipment I don't see how a very skilled one wouldn't, but it's okay we are not going to agree. The game has progressed more than some people realize. Keep in mind that by saying this I am not implying Gretzky couldn't be the best with today's advantages, it's just extremely unlikely that he would dominate like he did in those circumstances. Someone going back in time with all of today's advantages to take with them would be very unfair in the first place, so it's no wonder that they would dominate a lot.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
People tend to underestimate the incredible effect that technology has on “skill” in hockey.

My brother was an awesome player with in the 90s. He finally bought a new pair of skates this year and the effects were profound! He told me that even though he is out of shape now, he feels his skating skills are much better than when he was in his prime 25 years ago! He also feels his shot instantly became much better when he bought his first composite stick.

Most of the observed improved skating and shooting skill we see is simply due to advancements in technology, and we shouldn’t underestimate the profound impact it has had on “skill”.

I agree, which makes it even harder to imagine McDavid not outscoring Gretzky with that big advantage in equipment and speed, athleticism and so on, no?

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Someone going back in time with all of today's advantages to take with them would be very unfair in the first place, so it's no wonder to they would dominate a lot.

I agree that it would be unfair, as players should be on an equal playing field, but the talent gap between an AHL player of today who is not good enough to make it into the NHL compared with a guy like Peter Stastny in his prime in the 80's is just too big for "better skates, sticks, and training to overcome". Hockey is not a "pure" sport of physical measurement like Olympic Sprinting or Powerlifting. As has been said before, there are quite a few guys stronger and/or faster than Gretzky, but they still weren't as "good" - not even close.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I agree that it would be unfair, as players should be on an equal playing field, but the talent gap between an AHL player of today who is not good enough to make it into the NHL compared with a guy like Peter Stastny in his prime in the 80's is just too big for "better skates, sticks, and training to overcome". Hockey is not a "pure" sport of physical measurement like Olympic Sprinting or Powerlifting. As has been said before, there are quite a few guys stronger and/or faster than Gretzky, but they still weren't as "good" - not even close.

Yeah I totally disagree, players today are used to a better game in every sense, it would make it much easier to dominate in than just sprinting or powerlifting.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Lol @ 80’s hockey. It’s embarrassing just watching some of these clips. Crosby’s one handed backhand has more velocity & accuracy than Gretzky’s wrist shot. McDavid would absolutely destroy the league in the 80’s.

Last edited:

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Yeah I totally disagree, players today are used to a better game in every sense, it would make it much easier to dominate in than just sprinting or powerlifting.

This is incorrect. In hockey, intangible skill and sense comes into play, and it is why a guy like Gretzky is better than guys that are measurably faster and stronger than he is.

In a "pure" sport like sprinting, a modern guy with his equipment, track, and training beats any guy from around 80 years ago. The slowest man of the final 8 of the men's 100m Final at the London Olympics in 2012 is still faster than Jesse Owens, the 100m Olympic Gold Medalist from the 1936 Olympics. It's easier for a modern athlete to dominate a sport like sprinting or powerlifting if he were to be transported back in time, as much fewer soft skills come into play. You're basically measuring one thing.

Being faster and stronger than Gretzky using modern equipment and training, still won't make you a better hockey player than him.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I agree, which makes it even harder to imagine McDavid not outscoring Gretzky with that big advantage in equipment and speed, athleticism and so on, no?

Absolutely, McDavid would absolutely dominate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille