Status
Not open for further replies.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
connor-mcdavid.jpg

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Stop trying to make guys better than Gretzky.

It's never gonna happen no matter how much mental gymnastics we throw at it.

I am sorry if it came off that way.... definitely wasnt my intention. That is part of reason I added in the modern equipment/ training condition..... so that it was clear McDavid had an advantage versus Gretzky and the rest of the league. I picked the 80s because of the much more goal friendly environment. It was just a coincidence that the 80s are the decade which featured the peak of the greatest player to ever lace up the skates.

Reactions: KapG

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
His scoring % would be north of 50, he'd win the fastest skater competition by a few seconds, he'd get all 3 stars of the night 12 times per season, his team's power play would be in the 65-70% range. In playoff drafts, to keep it fair, not only could you not draft McDavid but his linemates as well.

They'd say the only way a player can be that good is if he was teleported here from the future. It would be ridiculous.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You could literally just play him with 4 of the most violent and scary men in the league and he’d still score a goal every time he touches the puck (if you were to do what the OP says).

People would have to catch him first to hit him, plus the physicality of 80s hockey is overstated on here. It wasn't close to the 90s and 2000s. How did Gretzky survive?

Anyway, he would clearly score well over 200+ points, maybe even 300 or 400, but it's obviously not a remotely fair comparison. Give him 80s equipment and his totals drop a lot, but he still scores more than Gretzky.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I am sorry if it came off that way.... definitely wasnt my intention. That is part of reason I added in the modern equipment/ training condition..... so that it was clear McDavid had an advantage versus Gretzky and the rest of the league. I picked the 80s because of the much more goal friendly environment. It was just a coincidence that the 80s are the decade which featured the peak of the greatest player to ever lace up the skates.
I didn't get the impression that that was your intention, but it's gonna go that way, based on what I've seen in the past. Anyway, I'll give you an answer.

Let's look at the scoring leaders from, I don't know, 1985.

Gretzky had 208 [:help:], then Kurri with 135 who we'll toss out of the sample because he was eating feeds from Gretzky, then Hawerchuk with 130. I like the Hawerchuk comparison because he's right around the same age. Also, let's say McDavid is on the Jets instead of Hawerchuk. If he's on the Oilers with Gretzky, it ruins the sample. If he's on the Jets with Hawerchuk it ruins the sample. Let's assume that McDavid is carrying a team like he is now. He's on the Jets and Hawerchuk isn't. He has the advantage of training, so instead of Hawerchuk's 130, I'm gonna say 65 goals, 145 points.

That's would put him pretty clearly #2 behind Gretzky. Still way, way, way behind him, but pretty clearly #2. And that's with the advantage of modern training.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
He would be highly productive.

Of course, most stars would run amok in the 80s if you kept that era unchanged and gave the transplanted player modern equipment, workout regimens and nutritional science. I'm not sure what these what-if scenarios are meant to prove... other than that the game has come a long way.

Reactions: TheTang58

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
I didn't get the impression that that was your intention, but it's gonna go that way, based on what I've seen in the past. Anyway, I'll give you an answer.

Let's look at the scoring leaders from, I don't know, 1985.

Gretzky had 208 [:help:], then Kurri with 135 who we'll toss out of the sample because he was eating feeds from Gretzky, then Hawerchuk with 130. I like the Hawerchuk comparison because he's right around the same age. Also, let's say McDavid is on the Jets instead of Hawerchuk. If he's on the Oilers with Gretzky, it ruins the sample. If he's on the Jets with Hawerchuk it ruins the sample. Let's assume that McDavid is carrying a team like he is now. He's on the Jets and Hawerchuk isn't. He has the advantage of training, so instead of Hawerchuk's 130, I'm gonna say 65 goals, 145 points.

That's would put him pretty clearly #2 behind Gretzky. Still way, way, way behind him, but pretty clearly #2. And that's with the advantage of modern training.

I think that's an off assumption, Mcdavid would be the fastest skater in the league by a lot. In the fastest period of the NHL, he's still multiple steps faster.

The premise is modern training and strategies, he'd easily put up Gretzky's numbers, and most likely score more goals while Gretz uses passing to match him. Every finals would be their respective teams.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He'd have monstrous stats, but I still don't think he'd break 92/215, even with modern equipment. A Storm Trooper with better equipment still can't beat Yoda.
You could put a team on the powerplay the entire year, and nobody on that team would break 92/215.

Reactions: berlin

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think that's an off assumption, Mcdavid would be the fastest skater in the league by a lot. In the fastest period of the NHL, he's still multiple steps faster.

The premise is modern training and strategies, he'd easily put up Gretzky's numbers, and most likely score more goals while Gretz uses passing to match him. Every finals would be their respective teams.

See OP, I told you this is how it was gonna go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad