Proposal: Max Pacioretty for RNH+(+?)

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
That's two pretty big contracts we're taking on... and neither are worth it.

This. We would be locked to a cap hell for years while selling our biggest future assets. The risk is too high as it might destroy our next rebuild and we still wouldn't be the top contenders short-term.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's two pretty big contracts we're taking on... and neither are worth it.

How else you think we are acquiring a top 2 center? I'm not big on both RNH or Lucic but they are good top 6 forwards that help the Habs IMO. Yeah, I don't want to trade Patch but in any trade, you have to give to get. The package offered to the Oilers address their needs IMO.

Lehkonen / Galchenyuk / Gallagher
Lucic / RNH / Drouin
Byron / Danault / Hemsky
DLR / Mitchell / Shaw

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This. We would be locked to a cap hell for years while selling our biggest future assets. The risk is too high.

Who do we need cap space to resign? Patch is traded in that deal remember. Players that need new contracts in the next few years are Lehkonen, Byron, Danault ? Big Cap problems here eh? :shakehead. According to my calculations... we still have $6M in cap space after the trade. $4M of that goes to Price next year. Add $2M in inflation and that leaves us with $4M+ in cap space next year ish. It's not a bad situation cap wise.

Last edited:

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
How else you think we are acquiring a top 2 center? I'm not big on both RNH or Lucic but they are good top 6 forwards that help the Habs IMO. Yeah, I don't want to trade Patch but in any trade, you have to give to get. The package offered to the Oilers address their needs IMO.

Lehkonen / Galchenyuk / Gallagher
Lucic / RNH / Drouin
Byron / Danault / Hemsky
DLR / Mitchell / Shaw

I mean, with all the pieces you're offering, I figure we can do much better than RNH. We don't need Lucic.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I mean, with all the pieces you're offering, I figure we can do much better than RNH. We don't need Lucic.

Who? Also, I do see your concerns about Lucic but the Habs do need muscle down low. We are way to weak on the wings and loose puck battles. I don't like Lucic's speed and that he is heading into his decline years but it's a necessary evil in this trade. Also, with Weber and Petry on the Right side. Where do we play Juulsen in 1 or 2 years?

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Who do we need cap space to resign? Patch is traded in that deal remember. Players that need new contracts in the next few years are Lehkonen, Byron, Danault ? Big Cap problems here eh? :shakehead

We need the cap space to acquire pieces and fill the few holes we have left. Dumping it on two players that don't really increase our chances of winning completely go against that principle.

Who? Also, I do see your concerns about Lucic but the Habs do need muscle down low. We are way to weak on the wings and loose puck battles. I don't like Lucic's speed and that he is heading into his decline years but it's a necessary evil in this trade. Also, with Weber and Petry on the Right side. Where do we play Juulsen in 1 or 2 years?

There are lots of 2Cs out there that wouldn't cost us Patches. IF we're packaging Patches and the best we can do is RNH+, we ****ed up somewhere.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Who do we need cap space to resign? Patch is traded in that deal remember. Players that need new contracts in the next few years are Lehkonen, Byron, Danault ? Big Cap problems here eh? :shakehead

You forgot Jordie Benn but it's true, we could still keep the whole core. However, if we don't get success with the core our flexibility would be practically zero for any upgrades and we'd have a crap ton of money locked for players past their prime.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We need the cap space to acquire pieces and fill the few holes we have left. Dumping it on two players that don't really increase our chances of winning completely go against that principle.

Well in the trade, one of our holes are addressed (top 2 center). What's the other hole? PMD? If you study the cap space in the next few years, there is some room even if we re-sign Danault, Lehkonen, and we maybe let Bryon go depending on what he would ask for.

There are lots of 2Cs out there that wouldn't cost us Patches. IF we're packaging Patches and the best we can do is RNH+, we ****ed up somewhere.

Not trying to give you a hard time but WHO? I ask again.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You forgot Jordie Benn but it's true, we could still keep the whole core. However, if we don't get success with the core our flexibility would be practically zero for any upgrades and we'd have a crap ton of money locked for players past their prime.

What's the point of cap space (that we have today) if you don't spend it? In truth, you rarely find missing key pieces through free agency. So you either trade for them or draft them. Flexibility is nice but at some point you have to use this flexibility with actual options on the table vs a dream plan that the missing pieces fall on your lap.

Habs have a 5 year window to win (in 5 years Weber is 36 & Price is 34). We can afford to be a bit more patient with our current core but we need to make moves sooner rather than later. We are nearing a critical path

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Please stop with no substance in post replies. Focus on what you don't like about it. It actually does address needs on both teams and it's a circumstance type trade. Very unlikely yes but both teams get what they need.

Habs acquire:
- Top 2 center
- Lucic and his contract. Buyer beware with decline years for a slow player but I'm willing to take the risks.
- 2018 2nd. Too much perhaps? Well that's part of negotiation.

Oilers Acquire:
- Patch on his great contract and cap space to resign him in two years
- Pleky for one year. Perfect 3C
- Juulsen who they can insert in the top 4D in a year or two.
- McCarron. Long term project but he is NHL ready. He could turn into a decent #3C in a few years. Worse case a 4C
- 2019 1st round pick
- Last but not least, much needed cap space moving forward!

This is one of the worst proposals I've seen in my life.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
What's the point of cap space (that we have today) if you don't spend it? In truth, you rarely find missing key pieces through free agency. So you either trade for them or draft them. Flexibility is nice but at some point you have to use this flexibility with actual options on the table vs a dream plan that the missing pieces fall on your lap.

We don't need to take on the Lucic contract to get RNH, nor do we need to give up Patches for RNH. Taking on a bad contract because "we have the cap space" isn't good business at the expense of flexibility, it's a waste of money and flexibility.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
We don't need to take on the Lucic contract to get RNH, nor do we need to give up Patches for RNH. Taking on a bad contract because "we have the cap space" isn't good business at the expense of flexibility, it's a waste of money and flexibility.

I agree.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It's a good point. However, the Oilers are not trading RNH to the Habs then. It's easy to say no to my proposal and I understand your concerns 100%. However, you either make moves or we stay where we are and hope what we have works. Each different path has risks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad