Proposal: Max Pacioretty for RNH+(+?)

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
RNH is one of the only centers on the market. Why would the Oilers trade RNH with ++ for a winger 2 years from UFA and a huge raise.

Again the hatred for the Habs is so blatant they are willing to look silly in doing so.:facepalm:

Basically, it just points out that a Pacioretty and RNH trade is just not going to work right now. Habs want more for Pacioretty, and the Oilers want more for RNH. So no trade takes place.

Why is that hatred for the Habs?

Last edited:

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
That's cool. I was replying to you. Nurse won't go in a deal for a winger. Even a supremely talented winger like patches. This year with this Oiler line up a winger really isn't on the agenda. Some Oiler fans might disagree but I would really like to see their rationale aside from "Pacioretty rules!"

Not commenting on the quality of such a trade but if you do acquire Patches, I would think he would go a long long way to shore up the Oilers needs (Assuming you trade Patches for them).

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Does any team have the assets to spare to cater to Sakic's wants?

Probably not. Anyway Sakic is on thin ice. If Duchene crap the bed like last year his value will decrease big time. He'll have just one year left to his contract and will be on a two bad years in a row sequence.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Indeed, he scored 35 goals consistently playing with scrubs, I'd say he's capable of 45+ playing with a center like McJesus.

playing alongside McJesus he easily gets 50 to 60. Hes gonna score the usual 35 goals he does per year. Then u add the free 20 goals or so directly from McJesus. Thats around 55 and then add in those from Drais, and thats like 60 easily. Thats all assuming they got chemistry tgtr. But McJesus creates that chemistry all by himself. So ye

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
playing alongside McJesus he easily gets 50 to 60. Hes gonna score the usual 35 goals he does per year. Then u add the free 20 goals or so directly from McJesus. Thats around 55 and then add in those from Drais, and thats like 60 easily. Thats all assuming they got chemistry tgtr. But McJesus creates that chemistry all by himself. So ye

I'm not so sure of that. Patch is not the guy who will score goals close to the net which is the type of scoring chances a guy like McJesus will add over another average center. Patch scores most of his goals on breakaways using his speed and shot or high in the faceoffs circle using his shot. I think he could score 40 with McJesus. Maybe something around 45 but i'm not sure he is a guy who can score 50 goals in this league.

Where a guy like McJesus (or Crosby, Malkin, ...) would help Patch the most is against the best defenses. Against these when Patch plays with a DD it's easy to counter him you just leave DD alone and check Patch. He's not so good at deking around players and creating his own space. He can use his speed to beat average defensemen on breakaways but against the best it's not enough. Playing with McJesus the best defenses would not be able to just check him. It would create more space for Patch to use his speed and shot in tighter games.

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Easy no from habs...
It would have to be a big add from edmonton to make it fair
Yea thats not how it works C have more value than wingers on the market RNH has 4 years left on his contract Patches 2 Oilers are not moving a C for a guy they can only have for 2 years , If McDavid gets moved it will be for a younger ELC forward with upside

Habst3r

Jun 10, 2015
Haha Montreal says no thanks. Why would Montreal trade a 35-40 goal scorer at 4.5 MIL (this year) for an unproven Kid whos career high points is 56 pts? RNH is over rated.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
this is one of the most unlikely trades ever. i can't believe some want the habs to add to pacioretty to get RNH ... as it stands right now I think RNH even wants to leave and his value will only get lower. Pretty sure decent prospects + picks can get him as early as this year.

To have RNH as a main piece to get pacioretty is insane, unless edmonton gives us a solid LD +++ and thats not going to happen. consistent 35G (5 on 5 beast) winger on a 4.5m contract ... pay up man.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
this is one of the most unlikely trades ever. i can't believe some want the habs to add to pacioretty to get RNH ... as it stands right now I think RNH even wants to leave and his value will only get lower.

Huh? That is contrary to everything he, the coach and the GM have said. Multiple times.

Pretty sure decent prospects + picks can get him as early as this year.

You'd be wrong. I dunno, maybe you haven't been paying attention to anything said about the Oilers and RNH? Having Nuge permits Edmonton to be flexible as to where they play Draisaitl. The coach likes him a lot. McLellan has stated that he knows "defense first" was drilled into RNH over the years and he wants the player to take more offensive chances next year. McLellan loves to run with a lot of centers.

Chai likes him as well. Simply put the Oilers look like they might do some damage in the playoffs next year and RNH is a part of the program. Next off season is the most likely time he will be traded.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Yea thats not how it works C have more value than wingers on the market RNH has 4 years left on his contract Patches 2 Oilers are not moving a C for a guy they can only have for 2 years , If McDavid gets moved it will be for a younger ELC forward with upside

Yeah, 4 years left on a bad contract. I don't know how that's considered a good thing but if you're not adding to RNH for an elite winger you can keep him by all means.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Chiarelli know Max P well after all the years with Bruins....no chance he would want him with Oilers....let alone trading RNH for him...

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

In general, centers have more value than wingers, but centers does not have far more value than wingers unless we are talking about number 1 centers, which is a lot more rarer and harder to get than top line wingers. 43 point centers aren't hard to get tho so RNH being a center doesn't mean much when we are talking about a 35 goal scorer going the other way.

Also, RNH having 4 more years on his contract isn't a good thing since he's overpaid...

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany

Just like Dany Heatley would easily get 60 playing with Joe Thornton?

The idea that pairing a great goalscorer with a great playmaker will lead to the best results has never been proven to be right. Gretzky and Hull didn't fit at all, Heatley fared worse with Joe Thornton than a whole bunch of players, the list goes on and on. Sometimes a very good goalscorer who has great chemistry with the playmaker is a much better fit than a great goalscorer.

I wouldn't exactly say that McDavid automatically creates chemistry on his own either. He and Hall didn't look particularly impressive together, and they were clearly the two best players on the team. Crosby doesn't always get paired with the best players, because he will produce anyway, Jagr won scoring titles while playing with scrubs, while the remaining talent played on the second line. Elite talent doesn't need to be paired with elite talent to be successful, and in many cases too much talent on a line leads to less success than having a third less talented player who does the dirty work.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
This deal could work. Montreal desperately needs a young Center.
Even if Nuge ends up being a 2C his whole career, that isn't that bad. Montreal doesn't even have a Number 2 C, sadly.
Maybe something around Nuge + Maroon(so Montreal has atleast a left winger returning)
For Max Patch. Throwing in a side note,
I would trade Nuge for Petry.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I'm not so sure of that. Patch is not the guy who will score goals close to the net which is the type of scoring chances a guy like McJesus will add over another average center. Patch scores most of his goals on breakaways using his speed and shot or high in the faceoffs circle using his shot. I think he could score 40 with McJesus. Maybe something around 45 but i'm not sure he is a guy who can score 50 goals in this league.

Where a guy like McJesus (or Crosby, Malkin, ...) would help Patch the most is against the best defenses. Against these when Patch plays with a DD it's easy to counter him you just leave DD alone and check Patch. He's not so good at deking around players and creating his own space. He can use his speed to beat average defensemen on breakaways but against the best it's not enough. Playing with McJesus the best defenses would not be able to just check him. It would create more space for Patch to use his speed and shot in tighter games.

so what ur saying its possible? ok gotcha.

Seriously, you're saying its not possible for him but then u finish off as saying it really is possible.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Just like Dany Heatley would easily get 60 playing with Joe Thornton?

The idea that pairing a great goalscorer with a great playmaker will lead to the best results has never been proven to be right. Gretzky and Hull didn't fit at all, Heatley fared worse with Joe Thornton than a whole bunch of players, the list goes on and on. Sometimes a very good goalscorer who has great chemistry with the playmaker is a much better fit than a great goalscorer.

I wouldn't exactly say that McDavid automatically creates chemistry on his own either. He and Hall didn't look particularly impressive together, and they were clearly the two best players on the team. Crosby doesn't always get paired with the best players, because he will produce anyway, Jagr won scoring titles while playing with scrubs, while the remaining talent played on the second line. Elite talent doesn't need to be paired with elite talent to be successful, and in many cases too much talent on a line leads to less success than having a third less talented player who does the dirty work.

did u just compare Thornton to McJesus:shakehead

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
This deal could work. Montreal desperately needs a young Center.
Even if Nuge ends up being a 2C his whole career, that isn't that bad. Montreal doesn't even have a Number 2 C, sadly.
Maybe something around Nuge + Maroon(so Montreal has atleast a left winger returning)
For Max Patch. Throwing in a side note,
I would trade Nuge for Petry.

A few things why these offers won't work:

1. We don't need Maroon coming back, he'd probably walk in the offseason anyway
2. Maroon fits the Oilers perfectly
3. Value is not enough for Montreal anyway
4. Nuge for Petry would fill a need for one position for the Habs but it would also create a hole in another position, not happening
5. Petry going back to Edm for their former 1OA draft pick would be pretty embarrassing for the Oilers

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Counter offer.... Are you ready?

Oilers Trade:
- RNH
- Lucic
- 2018 2nd

Habs Trade:
- Patch
- Pleky
- McCarron
- Juulsen
- 2019 1st

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Montreal gets a center they need, EDM get's a 1st line winger to play with McDavid and let Draisaitl staple his own line and earn that $$$$$$.

Maxpatch is only at 4.5 AAV but RNH has 3 more years of control to offset the higher AAV.

Pacioretty > RNH so Edm has to add.

Not a terrible deal? What's the plus?

one problem is you are thinking that max p would get the same icetime in Edmonton and therefor get the same pts? he would not get the same ice time

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Please stop, its becoming embarrassing.

Please stop with no substance in post replies. Focus on what you don't like about it. It actually does address needs on both teams and it's a circumstance type trade. Very unlikely yes but both teams get what they need.

Habs acquire:
- Top 2 center
- Lucic and his contract. Buyer beware with decline years for a slow player but I'm willing to take the risks.
- 2018 2nd. Too much perhaps? Well that's part of negotiation.

Oilers Acquire:
- Patch on his great contract and cap space to resign him in two years
- Pleky for one year. Perfect 3C
- Juulsen who they can insert in the top 4D in a year or two.
- McCarron. Long term project but he is NHL ready. He could turn into a decent #3C in a few years. Worse case a 4C
- 2019 1st round pick
- Last but not least, much needed cap space moving forward!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad