Proposal: Max Pacioretty for RNH+(+?)

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
there are some horrible proposals on HF for sure... this thread has tons of them... but ill tell you this.. the value is alot closer in the RNH for Plek, Schlemko and a 3rd proposal then the RNH + for Pacioretty.

Pacioretty is 4th in the league amongst all player for goals since the lockout only Pavelski, Stamkos and Ovechkin have more. MAx has mostly played with DESHARNAIS... which most oilers fans saw... isnt exactly a top end C... and still managed to put up impressive numbers playing with DD.

RNH has potential, high pedigree, high draft pos.... but in the last 18 months he has barely outproduced Phil Danault (by 3 pts) whilst playing 4 min more per game.

and before people start talking about RNHs defensive side.. thats fine... but habs need scoring.. and RNH for an elite winger isnt gettin that done.

You expect to get a top 6 centre for that? :laugh: Awful value. RNH for Patches is much closer than RNH for that fistful of misfit toys.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Pacioretty had almost as many goals as RNH had points last season

That's spectacular. RNH is a 24 year old top 6 C with term. A 34 year old UFA, a 3rd rounder, and a 30 year old defenceman you just picked up for damn near free doesn't even come close.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You should do a poll on your board :laugh:

I am pretty sure the knowledgeable Edmonton hockey fans take that and run like fools.

The same knowledgable hockey fans that screamed like children when we traded Hall for Larsson would agree with you. The ones who understand that we need to have certain types of players playing in certain positions know that Pacioretty, while great, is an unnecessary luxury to Edmonton and that Nugent-Hopkins plays a role that we would have a hard time replacing only a couple months before the season started.

Why say that you are moving on and then not move on Tink?

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Pacioretty had almost as many goals as RNH had points last season

That's great and it would be something I care about if the Oilers were struggling to score goals.

Nuge plays a (imo) more important position, with different responsibilities.

Trading a center to add a goal scoring left shooting, left winger would be irresponsible at this point.

I'd much rather have RNH centering the third line than have Lucic or Pacioretty playing LW on the third line.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That's great and it would be something I care about if the Oilers were struggling to score goals.

Trading a center to add a goal scoring left shooting, left winger would be irresponsible at this point.

I'd much rather have RNH centering the third line than have Lucic or Pacioretty playing LW on the third line.

Lol why wouldn't that plug Maroon be on the 3rd line? Wouldn't you want two of the fastest skaters like McD and Max to be together?

Can't believe an Oilers fan would rather a 3C than a 1LW. It's absurd. You have two Cs that are paid to play 20+ mins a game. Let other teams do the defensive matching. When you have players of that calibre, why would you waste available icetime on a defensive C?

"Sorry Connor and Leon, stay on the bench, we need Nuge to lineup against Getzlaf"

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
That's spectacular. RNH is a 24 year old top 6 C with term. A 34 year old UFA, a 3rd rounder, and a 30 year old defenceman you just picked up for damn near free doesn't even come close.

Like I said.. RNH hasnt lived up to his projections or draft grade

For a 6m top 6 C, (that is a bad contract btw) I expect much more then him to barely outproduce Phil Freaking Danault even though he played 4 min more per game.. not to mention PP pts.

and i didnt say the plek 3rd and schlemko was a fair trade.. but its much closer then RNH for patches...

Patches walks onto your team and becomes by far your best winger... and easily pots 45-50 playin with McJesus.

Maroon, Lucic, SLep, Puul, strome dont hold a candle to Patches.

regardless of what you guys need. Habs need a C yes.

but id much rather live with Galchenyuk, Danault, Plek then trade patches and gain a 45-50 pts C man that makes 6 times as much then Phil Danault and produced 3 pts more

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014

patches plays with McD.. easily scores 45

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Lol why wouldn't that plug Maroon be on the 3rd line? Wouldn't you want two of the fastest skaters like McD and Max to be together?

Can't believe an Oilers fan would rather a 3C than a 1LW. It's absurd. You have two Cs that are paid to play 20+ mins a game. Let other teams do the defensive matching. When you have players of that calibre, why would you waste available icetime on a defensive C?

"Sorry Connor and Leon, stay on the bench, we need Nuge to lineup against Getzlaf"

First off, Leon is probably going to start the season with McDavid again. And even if he doesn't, McLellan loves having C's playing wing for versatility's sake.

I don't think the Maroon situation is that hard to understand. He clicks with McDavid.

Maroon - salary $1.5 million, 27 goals, most with McDavid

Pacioretty - salary $4 million (a bargain), ??? goals with McDavid.

So trading Nuge+ for Pacioretty is really like trading Nuge+ and probably 17 of Maroon's goals for two years of Pacioretty. And if we do the trade, one of two possibilities plays out. First, Pacioretty clicks with McDavid and probably hits career highs for the next two years (40+ goals). If that happens, then in two seasons, we have to re-sign 40+ goal Pacioretty for probably 10 million per season. We can't afford another guy in that salary range, so we let him walk for nothing or trade him for whatever package of minor assets we can prior to free agency opening. Second, Pacioretty doesn't click with McDavid at all, and ends up playing on the second line, in which case we can probably assume that he scores around the same pace he has so far. In that scenario, we have Maroon still playing top line, Lucic and Pacioretty in the middle six. We will have to let McDavid's left winger (Maroon) go after next season for sure, and then have two left wingers who haven't worked with McDavid, one of whom (Pacioretty) is going to want a significant raise soon anyway.

It just doesn't make sense from a cap management perspective or from a positional need perspective.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Like I said.. RNH hasnt lived up to his projections or draft grade

For a 6m top 6 C, (that is a bad contract btw) I expect much more then him to barely outproduce Phil Freaking Danault even though he played 4 min more per game.. not to mention PP pts.

and i didnt say the plek 3rd and schlemko was a fair trade.. but its much closer then RNH for patches...

Patches walks onto your team and becomes by far your best winger... and easily pots 45-50 playin with McJesus.

Maroon, Lucic, SLep, Puul, strome dont hold a candle to Patches.

regardless of what you guys need. Habs need a C yes.

but id much rather live with Galchenyuk, Danault, Plek then trade patches and gain a 45-50 pts C man that makes 6 times as much then Phil Danault and produced 3 pts more

I'm not going to address anything else that you said directly (some is correct, some is arguable, some is wrong), but this is where you are going wrong. You are thinking "regardless of need". Our GM doesn't think that way. Our fans for the most part no longer think this way. So the first thought that would happen if this discussion was happening between the teams was "does this make our team better". It makes Montreal worse because they are losing their 35 goal scoring winger for another 2C. Edmonton says no because we have enough LW, need to think about our cap situation in the future, and can't sacrifice a center for a winger at this point.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
First off, Leon is probably going to start the season with McDavid again. And even if he doesn't, McLellan loves having C's playing wing for versatility's sake.

I don't think the Maroon situation is that hard to understand. He clicks with McDavid.

Maroon - salary $1.5 million, 27 goals, most with McDavid

Pacioretty - salary $4 million (a bargain), ??? goals with McDavid.

So trading Nuge+ for Pacioretty is really like trading Nuge+ and probably 17 of Maroon's goals for two years of Pacioretty. And if we do the trade, one of two possibilities plays out. First, Pacioretty clicks with McDavid and probably hits career highs for the next two years (40+ goals). If that happens, then in two seasons, we have to re-sign 40+ goal Pacioretty for probably 10 million per season. We can't afford another guy in that salary range, so we let him walk for nothing or trade him for whatever package of minor assets we can prior to free agency opening. Second, Pacioretty doesn't click with McDavid at all, and ends up playing on the second line, in which case we can probably assume that he scores around the same pace he has so far. In that scenario, we have Maroon still playing top line, Lucic and Pacioretty in the middle six. We will have to let McDavid's left winger (Maroon) go after next season for sure, and then have two left wingers who haven't worked with McDavid, one of whom (Pacioretty) is going to want a significant raise soon anyway.

It just doesn't make sense from a cap management perspective or from a positional need perspective.

Nope doesn't make sense from a cap management standpoint to pay $6m for your 3C.

Pittsburgh didn't win Cups by putting Crosby and Malkin on the same line. So Edmonton can go ahead and see how putting McD and Leon will work for them in the long run.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Habs would have to add, I don`t see why the Oilers would trade a 2C for a winger that would not play in their top 6.

LOL ... Patches is so much better than RNH. Not even close. Edmonton would have to add and something good. Most with a brain know this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad