Proposal: Max Pacioretty for RNH+(+?)

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Plekanec (50% retained) + Schlemko for RNH.

Plekanec: great 3C who plays very well defensively (plays against top lines), 1 season removed from being a 50+ point center, and will be cost controlled for next season (UFA - but will definitely command less $). Schlemko: very reliable 2nd/bottom pairing LD with excellent advanced stats, and at a great contract 2.1m for 3 more seasons! What do you say? :)

montreal just signed schlemko so why would they trade him?

member 256847

Habs would have to add, I don`t see why the Oilers would trade a 2C for a winger that would not play in their top 6.

I know people have irrational hate of certain players or teams, I know I do, but even so, I can't understand why someone would feel compelled to write something like this.

member 256847

Why are Montreal fans so insistent on getting rid of Paches?
He's one of the most consistent players in the NHL and your Captian.
It's just like Sens fans running Spezza out of town years back.

I think it's more out of desperation for a good center, thanks to a lousy job by the GM to acquire one over the years.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Habs say hell no, Poehling won't be dealt. Gallagher and Scherbak perhaps but I'm personally very reluctant to move Gallagher for RNH in the first place, Gally's more valuable to us than most people even realize.

I agree adding Poehling is overpayment from Habs but i think RNH would be more valuable to Habs than Gallagher. So for that, i am ready to add. But RNH's salary compared to Gallagher's makes the add less significant.

I think Gallagher + late 2nd or a NHL ready prospect like McCarron or Sherback would be fair.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Habs say hell no, Poehling won't be dealt. Gallagher and Scherbak perhaps but I'm personally very reluctant to move Gallagher for RNH in the first place, Gally's more valuable to us than most people even realize.

The Oilers don't do that.

If it were to be a Patches/Nuge deal, maybe it would look like...

To MTL: Nuge, Pakarinen, Jones and 1st(2018)

To EDM: Patches and Plekanec ($1M Retainted)

Frees up space for

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Why would the Habs do this? Their dealing their best offensive player by far for a more expensive #2C. For a team that is starving for offense as is, this makes no sense for them. Even if the Oilers added a 1st, I'm still not sure they pull the trigger.

I could see RNH for Gallagher being more feasible but 4 years left on Gallagher's contract gives me some pause.

Last edited:

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
Why everyone is trying to trade Pacioretty ?? I know habs need a center but we also dont have a lot of goals scorer.

Habs are trying to win now and Pacio is much better then RNH. No way habs trade there best foward and Captain vs a 2-3rd liner..

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Frees up space for

Habs most definitely don't do that. As has been stated in this thread, Patches for Nuge is already a bad starting point for a trade but no deal including a 1st coming back to Montreal will be beneficial for us unless it's a crazy overpayment, and this offer is far from an overpayment, if at all.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

Frees up space for

If Pacioretty is in the deal, i ask for Nurse to be in the deal.

Pacioretty + Plekanec (2M$ retained)

for

RNH and Nurse

If you want a stop gap on LD, we might be open to put Schlemko, Davidson or Benn in the deal.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If Pacioretty is in the deal, i ask for Nurse to be in the deal.

Pacioretty + Plekanec (2M$ retained)

for

RNH and Nurse

If you want a stop gap on LD, we might be open to put Schlemko, Davidson or Benn in the deal.

Even though I really like Pacioretty (who is awesome year after year, steady points) this isn't a very good deal for the Oilers. Nurse also wouldn't go in a deal for a winger. Why are Montreal fans always trying to attach Plekanec to every trade?

A good hockey trade is one where both teams get something they need. This one is where Montreal gets everything they want and Edmonton gets a very good winger (which isn't a priority right now) and take on a cap dump.

Regardless RNH doesn't get traded this year. He might go in the off season but only if the Oilers are comfortable with the Center position on all lines. That means Draisaitl plays primarily on his own line and 3-4C position is filled adequately by current personnel.

Trading RNH for Patches right now does not make sense for Edmonton. Let's see how RNH does this year and then we can make some kind of deal at the draft.

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
If Eberle gets you Strome... have to think RNH would require a Lehkonen level player or combination that equates to that. Habs don't have much. Maybe Gallagher straight up is close... Sherbak + something, McCarron ++. I don't know.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Even though I really like Pacioretty (who is awesome year after year, steady points) this isn't a very good deal for the Oilers. Nurse also wouldn't go in a deal for a winger. Why are Montreal fans always trying to attach Plekanec to every trade?

A good hockey trade is one where both teams get something they need. This one is where Montreal gets everything they want and Edmonton gets a very good winger (which isn't a priority right now) and take on a cap dump.

Regardless RNH doesn't get traded this year. He might go in the off season but only if the Oilers are comfortable with the Center position on all lines. That means Draisaitl plays primarily on his own line and 3-4C position is filled adequately by current personnel.

Trading RNH for Patches right now does not make sense for Edmonton. Let's see how RNH does this year and then we can make some kind of deal at the draft.

Plekanec is not just a cap dump, he's still a serviceable 3C and that's why he's getting included.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If Eberle gets you Strome... have to think RNH would require a Lehkonen level player or combination that equates to that. Habs don't have much. Maybe Gallagher straight up is close... Sherbak + something, McCarron ++. I don't know.

RNH is a far more complete player than Eberle ever was or ever will be. He is also a Center. Apples and oranges.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Every NHL GM knows Montreal needs a C and has 8.5 cap space that Bergevin needs to spend. If he starts the year with that cap space and they don't have a great start he will be crucified by the media

Every GM knows Chia has to shed salary but he has a full year to worry about.

I think this puts Bergevin on the hot seat to make some kind of deal for RNH or Duchene. I personally would be shocked if Montreal start the year or go more then 10 games with that much cap space.

I think there is far more pressure on Bergevin then Chia to make any move.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Every NHL GM knows Montreal needs a C and has 8.5 cap space that Bergevin needs to spend. If he starts the year with that cap space and they don't have a great start he will be crucified by the media

Every GM knows Chia has to shed salary but he has a full year to worry about.

I think this puts Bergevin on the hot seat to make some kind of deal for RNH or Duchene. I personally would be shocked if Montreal start the year or go more then 10 games with that much cap space.

I think there is far more pressure on Bergevin then Chia to make any move.

Does Montreal have the assets to get Duchene? Sakic seems to asking for the moon.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

I'm pretty sure i was responding to a deal proposed by an Oilers fan.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Plekanec is not just a cap dump, he's still a serviceable 3C and that's why he's getting included.

He is if you can extend him for a fair salary.

If i would get Plekanec in a trade i would ask the permission to discuss an extension with him before. If you can extend him in the realm of 3 millions something yeah he's a good vet, very professional, train hard and is in very good shape for his age, good defensively, good pker and can still provide around 30 points per seasons for another 2 maybe 3 years. He's a good vet to have around for 2 or 3 years providing he's not paid 4 millions and over.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I'm pretty sure i was responding to a deal proposed by an Oilers fan.

That's cool. I was replying to you. Nurse won't go in a deal for a winger. Even a supremely talented winger like patches. This year with this Oiler line up a winger really isn't on the agenda. Some Oiler fans might disagree but I would really like to see their rationale aside from "Pacioretty rules!"

All good though, things can happen at the draft. Should be some wheeling and dealing that day.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That's cool. I was replying to you. Nurse won't go in a deal for a winger. Even a supremely talented winger like patches. This year with this Oiler line up a winger really isn't on the agenda. Some Oiler fans might disagree but I would really like to see their rationale aside from "Pacioretty rules!"

All good though, things can happen at the draft. Should be some wheeling and dealing that day.

Anyway personally i don't see Patch getting traded for RNH. RNH doesn't change our center situation that much. He's not a 1st line center on a cup contending team unless the rest of the team is super strong. This means that even with RNH we still have a question mark at center. We still have to use AG as a 1st line center and hope he can improve his defensive game and faceoffs and this means we must now trade Plekanec or put Danault back on the wing. We also become kind of weak on the wing without Patch and with AG at center. Yeah if AG doesn't work at center RNH and Danalt/Plekanec is better than Plekanec and Danault but either way we're done anyway imo so what's the point? With, or without RNH, AG must work at center. The point of trading Patch would be to avoid that situation.

I don't think this lineup :

Lehkonen-AG-Drouin
Danault-RNH-Gallagher
Byron-Plekanec-Shaw

Is any better than this one :

Lehkonen-AG-Drouin
Patch-Danault-Gallagher
Byron-Plekanec-Shaw

It might even be worse actually.

RNH is a good two way 2nd line center but Patch has shown more ability to carry a line by himself than him in the past. Yeah Danault is far weaker than RNH as a 2nd line center but Patch is much much much better than Danault or Byron on the wing and it's not even remotely close. For this to work AG would need to replace Patch on the wing but RNH, Danault and Plekanec wont cut it as a center line. At least Danault at center can sort of challenge RNH defensively. Patch in the regular season can pretty much carry a line by himself. In the playoffs if AG and Drouin click together then Patch wont have the pressure to carry an entire 1st line by himself like had in the past since his line will be the 2nd one anyway.

I'm not the biggest fan of Patch. I prefer players with some grit. But the thing people who don't watch Mtl on a regular basis ignore is Patch for the most part played with crappy players all his career. He started his career playing with washed up and almost done Gomez and Gionta. He then played with DD and Gallagher/Weise. He played some games with an over 30 years old Plekanec and Gallagher. That's a very average group of players to play with.

I honestly think MB wont touch his offense. He'll wait to see how AG and Danault will fare. They are both young. It's risky but that's probably his best option. AG has 31G and 64P in his last 82 games played mostly at center. If he can do some progress defensively and at the faceoffs circle he's probably a slightly better option as a 1st line center than anyone MB could acquire. If Danault can keep the good work he did last year he's an okay 2nd line center. He's good defensively and good at the faceoffs circle. If he can put around 45 points with Patch and Gallagher that's perfectly fine.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

I think Gallagher's going to have a nice bounce back season after having his hand shattered 2 years in a row. Back to around 50 points. That production + his gusto is great value on that contract.

I agree the Habs would be pretty reluctant to do that swap.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
RNH is one of the only centers on the market. Why would the Oilers trade RNH with ++ for a winger 2 years from UFA and a huge raise.

I think RNH for Patches is fairly equal, considering age, and contract lengths.

But my guess is the Oilers would prefer package that had 2 out of (Poehling, Juulsen, Scherbak, 2018 1st) + 2018 2nd. Futures would better fit into their plan than a relatively old winger.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad