Player Discussion Max Pacioretty discussion part VII: Maximus Decimus Tradius Valus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think it's a possibility...well maybe that's not the right term to use.

It's highly unlikely he's back IMO.

I think the probability scale can change as time moves forward. Don't get me wrong, I would love to trade him for a solid futures return cause that's what we need but I also see Bergevin trying to re-sign him if he don't get the return he wants. I'm not buying any of the rumors. Patch knows he has been shopped. He also won't re-sign for cheap either.

Habs plan with Patch: Let him play his contract year in Montreal and see what kind of offers we get for him while we approach the deadline.

Patch's plan with the Habs: He's not re-signing a team friendly long term deal in no circumstance (to stay with the Habs or a sign and trade). He will head into his contract year and try his best to put up production so he can cash in as a UFA July 1st, 2019

Plans can change though.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think the probability scale can change as time moves forward. Don't get me wrong, I would love to trade him for a solid futures return cause that's what we need but I also see Bergevin trying to re-sign him if he don't get the return he wants. I'm not buying any of the rumors. Patch knows he has been shopped. He also won't re-sign for cheap either.

Habs plan with Patch: Let him play his contract year in Montreal and see what kind of offers we get for him while we approach the deadline.

Patch's plan with the Habs: He's not re-signing a team friendly long term deal in no circumstance (to stay with the Habs or a sign and trade). He will head into his contract year and try his best to put up production so he can cash in as a UFA July 1st, 2019

Plans can change though.
Perhaps...I mean, if a deal doesn't materialize, I guess he won't be moved.

But I think one gets done at some point between now and the golf tournament (The Montreal Canadiens golf tournament).

I think the book is closed on Pacioretty and the team is going in another direction.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
A whole year of all this debate, to see him play in MTL, that is a laugh
Of course he is playing in Montreal, he is trying to remain a Montreal Canadien by making Bergevins life a living hell. The habs are saying all of the right things but i would love to be a fly on the wall behind closed doors to hear the real juicy story. I have never been a true Pacioretty fan( love his snap shot) but if he is the reason that Bergevin gets fired I will be the first in line to buy his jersey.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I don't think it's a possibility...well maybe that's not the right term to use.

It's highly unlikely he's back IMO.
At this point, their best bet is sign him to a contract, hope that he has some sort of rebound, and trade him near the deadline. That way, he’s not a rental. Plus, there are always teams looking to shore up for a playoff run so that’s how they’ll get the best return.

Reactions: Durvann and 417

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Perhaps...I mean, if a deal doesn't materialize, I guess he won't be moved.

But I think one gets done at some point between now and the golf tournament (The Montreal Canadiens golf tournament).

I think the book is closed on Pacioretty and the team is going in another direction.
A direction of pure mediocricy for years to come.

We need more grinders.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I wouldn't mind a 7-8M$ pacioretty only if we have a legit 8M$ center to play with him. Pacioretty should not be your best forward.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
He isn’t our best forward, as of last season Brendan Gallagher is (yay:banana:). His agent has been on vacay though but I see one of 2 scenarios, Bergevin signs him to a stupid 8x8 or let’s him walk as he left it too late to trade him. Not sure I want to see anymore of Mopey Max, still surprised at his numbers as I tend to remember his bad games more than his good games.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Of course he is playing in Montreal, he is trying to remain a Montreal Canadien by making Bergevins life a living hell. The habs are saying all of the right things but i would love to be a fly on the wall behind closed doors to hear the real juicy story. I have never been a true Pacioretty fan( love his snap shot) but if he is the reason that Bergevin gets fired I will be the first in line to buy his jersey.

I second this . From zero to hero if his situation gets this bozo fired

Reactions: OldCraig71

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
If he's willing to sign another team friendly deal to stay with the habs then I would do it. Limited NMC (or none) of course.

I don't see us getting a good offer for him, Bergevin f***ed that up already.

Reactions: HomeAndHome

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
At this point, their best bet is sign him to a contract, hope that he has some sort of rebound, and trade him near the deadline. That way, he’s not a rental. Plus, there are always teams looking to shore up for a playoff run so that’s how they’ll get the best return.

I doubt that happens. Pacioretty isn't signing anything below what he and his agent believe is fair value. That means Bergevin could get stuck with a contract he doesn't want (salary and modified NMC) and the same possibility for teams who aren't convinced Pacioretty has a bounce back season.

Best case scenario is that he starts the season hot and ameliorates the doubts circling around him. Otherwise he just bides his time and goes UFA.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Derek Stepan and Raanta got the Rangers DeAngelo and 7thOA. Stepan had plenty of term while Rannta had a year. DeAngelo was finishing his ELC.

Corey Schneider with a yeat before UFA got the Nucks the 9th OA.

Picks that high I am guessing give you a 50/50 shot anyway of getting a top 6 player.

A TDL trade of a UFA to be top line player is likely going to net a bottom 1st , a good bottom 6 player and a B prospect. A bottom 1st probably gives you a 20-30 % chance of a top 6 player , another good lets say 3rd liner is just that, and a B prospect probably is a 5% shot at a top 6 player at most.

A TDL deal of an unextended Patches is not going to be a lot back. And sure , another bad year could get us a Vanek return. Hope a couple teams want Patches as we head to season start.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Derek Stepan and Raanta got the Rangers DeAngelo and 7thOA. Stepan had plenty of term while Rannta had a year. DeAngelo was finishing his ELC.

Corey Schneider with a yeat before UFA got the Nucks the 9th OA.

Picks that high I am guessing give you a 50/50 shot anyway of getting a top 6 player.

A TDL trade of a UFA to be top line player is likely going to net a bottom 1st , a good bottom 6 player and a B prospect. A bottom 1st probably gives you a 20-30 % chance of a top 6 player , another good lets say 3rd liner is just that, and a B prospect probably is a 5% shot at a top 6 player at most.

A TDL deal of an unextended Patches is not going to be a lot back. And sure , another bad year could get us a Vanek return. Hope a couple teams want Patches as we head to season start.

Or we could, you know, re-sign our good players like most teams do, instead of rolling the dice hoping you get a good player in the draft.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Or we could, you know, re-sign our good players like most teams do, instead of rolling the dice hoping you get a good player in the draft.

I am not a hater of Patches, the guy is a 30 plus goal scorer. However I was looking for him to be traded over 2 years ago given where I saw the team and our prospects for a Cup.

At this point, however, I admit I am having second thoughts. Would be nice if he was willing to get dirty in the post season though.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I think that possibility is there... more than most want to admit.

I really don’t like the idea of another 30+ contract. I was good with Radulov because I think his game will age well and at the time I thought there were options for this team to be competitive but I just don’t see Pacioretty aging well and with the direction the team currently looks to be trending, it makes no sense to take the risk. Get a decent return if you can and move on.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I really don’t like the idea of another 30+ contract. I was good with Radulov because I think his game will age well and at the time I thought there were options for this team to be competitive but I just don’t see Pacioretty aging well and with the direction the team currently looks to be trending, it makes no sense to take the risk. Get a decent return if you can and move on.

We're gonna have a bunch of young players that don't cost much. We have the space to sign Pacioretty. Sign him. He's not holding up the development of any star LW.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I don’t think I’ve seen this happen and actually don’t know if it makes a ton of of sense.

Would it benefit both parties to sign a deal at the max term, but with a reduced hit...so like 6x8 with a 15 team list NTC.

It gives Max some (limited) say on where he goes with maximum term. It gives us some additional value (?) and more importantly time to get a deal done.

Stupid?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I don’t think I’ve seen this happen and actually don’t know if it makes a ton of of sense.

Would it benefit both parties to sign a deal at the max term, but with a reduced hit...so like 6x8 with a 15 team list NTC.

It gives Max some (limited) say on where he goes with maximum term. It gives us some additional value (?) and more importantly time to get a deal done.

Stupid?

I don't think he signs for 8x$6m. Maybe 8x$7m front loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad