Player Discussion Max Pacioretty discussion part VII: Maximus Decimus Tradius Valus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Actually...no one has said that.

In fact, they said the exact opposite, that hes expected to be at camp in a few days.

Not sure what that has to do with what I said though. Of course he will be at camp, he’s still under contract this year..
There’s been a bunch of reports all summer about them not extending him past this year, and now most recently Pacioretty has said straight up there is no contract offer.

Reactions: Pickles

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
By all accounts, next years draft is supposed to be deep. Why would any franchise give up thier 1st rounder in a trade for Max when they can play the free market when his contract expires? Makes no sense and would be a stupid move IMO.

Because there isn’t one team that wants him. So if you do want him you’ll have to pay more than the other teams.

Is it your assertion that Max won’t fetch at least a 1st if he’s traded?

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Because teams trade 1st round picks, and often more, for UFA rentals every single year.

In fact, the trade deadline and all the hype that goes around it is based mostly on this.
I would be surprised if we get a first IF he is traded. Hope we do, but don’t see it. Just a fan.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Because there isn’t one team that wants him. So if you do want him you’ll have to pay more than the other teams.

Is it your assertion that Max won’t fetch at least a 1st if he’s traded?
No, if I was in charge of another franchise? I would not give up my 1st in this years draft for Max. I would just wait and see if he’s an UFA at the nd of the year.

Reactions: RealityBytes

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not sure what that has to do with what I said though. Of course he will be at camp, he’s still under contract this year..
There’s been a bunch of reports all summer about them not extending him past this year, and now most recently Pacioretty has said straight up there is no contract offer.
It has everything to do with what you said....

You said "at the very least, don't basically tell everyone be won't he back"

He didn't do that....in fact, he said the opposite lol

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No, if I was in charge of another franchise? I would not give up my 1st in this years draft for Max. I would just wait and see if he’s an UFA at the nd of the year.
I'm sure some teams will see it that way

I'm sure there's also teams who will see it as premier goal scorer that could put them over the top is worth a 1st round pick and more.

The Habs were able to get a 2nd round pick for Tomas Plekanec

The Habs were able to get a 4th round pick for Joe Morrow

Please don't tell me they can't get a 1st for Pacioretty

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
It has everything to do with what you said....

You said "at the very least, don't basically tell everyone be won't he back"

He didn't do that....in fact, he said the opposite lol

Not what I said though. I said "at the very least, don’t basically come out and say to the world that they will not be extending him" It was clear that I was talking about he wont be back once this contract is up, especially since the next sentence I said "now that other GMs know there’s no chance of an extension, they can just simply wait for free agency"
:huh:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Luc Robitaille on the summer "trade" with the Kings that wasn't...

(I'm translating)

"Things never got that far (a trade)...we were interested in Max. Bergevin knows he has a very good player. We were more interested in acquiring him than he was in trading him."

Source - JC Lajoie

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not what I said though. I said "at the very least, don’t basically come out and say to the world that they will not be extending him" It was clear that I was talking about he wont be back once this contract is up, especially since the next sentence I said "now that other GMs know there’s no chance of an extension, they can just simply wait for free agency"
:huh:
Semantics...doesn't change anything

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

I'm sure there's also teams who will see it as premier goal scorer that could put them over the top is worth a 1st round pick and more.

I hope we do! I would not as a GM of another franchise. Do you really want me to dig around in Max’s playoff success? I would not do it at the deadline or now.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

Don't forget though, that the Leafs were at contract maximum and needed some spots when they traded for Plekanecs. Yes, the Leafs did give up a 2nd for Plekanec, but they also dumped contracts for two players who would never make the Leafs and in turn opened up the two spots for Par Lindholm and Igor Ozighanov once Plekanecs was gone. That latter part does affect the value in the Plekanecs trade. Without that, a 2nd for Plekanecs straight up most likely would not have happened.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I hope we do! I would not as a GM of another franchise. Do you really want me to dig around in Max’s playoff success? I would not do it at the deadline or now.
I really don't think that's how GM's look at it

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Don't forget though, that the Leafs were at contract maximum and needed some spots when they traded for Plekanecs. Yes, the Leafs did give up a 2nd for Plekanec, but they also dumped contracts for two players who would never make the Leafs and in turn opened up the two spots for Par Lindholm and Igor Ozighanov once Plekanecs was gone. That latter part does affect the value in the Plekanecs trade. Without that, a 2nd for Plekanecs straight up most likely would not have happened.
I'm sure there will be other teams in similar situations between now and the deadline.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

It interesting that you don’t think a consistent top 5-10 NHL goal scorers over the last 7 years isn’t worth at least a 1st when year after year, deadline after deadline you see far less quality players move for more than that.

Is Tomas Tatar a better player than Patches? Is Vermette, Gaustad, Kane, Stastny etc etc etc and the countless other players traded at the deadline worth more than Max?

Reactions: 417

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Luc Robitaille on the summer "trade" with the Kings that wasn't...

(I'm translating)

"Things never got that far (a trade)...we were interested in Max. Bergevin knows he has a very good player. We were more interested in acquiring him than he was in trading him."

Source - JC Lajoie

I'm calling bullshit on this.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Curious to know what motivation you think Luc Robitaille would have to make this up

Not saying you're wrong...

Could just be that he made a lowball offer and Bergevin didn’t move. Luc interpreted his disinterest as “not motivated or interested” in moving him when for Bergevin is was a matter of not liking the offer.

At this point, it’s pretty obvious Bergevin WANTS to move Max. Don’t know how anyone can say otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad