Player Discussion Max Comtois

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I just still feel like I don't really like his playstyle. It seems to me like he's more opportunistic than anything, and doesn't really drive play. He won't do anything by himself; he needs others to create a scoring opportunity for him to get to a soft spot (which he does admittedly well), but half the time I feel like he's being lazy. I'm not surprised by his streakiness.

*Edit* and I'm not saying we don't need players like this, we absolutely need players with a goal-scorer's touch. But I'm just not as high on him as some others.

Comtois is being thrown around after finding great chemistry with Lundy and Rakell. On that line, Rakell and Lundy are looking for Comtois and vice versa. Something isn't clicking when Rakell and Comtois are centered by Getz, which one would think would be better because Getz is a great playmaker.

I think to best use Comtois is speed. That's where Lundy and Rakell fit Comtois best. All three buzz around. Comtois is looking to attack the by crashing/slashing to the net. With Getz, it's a different game. Getz' linemates usually park themselves in front of the net like Perry, Penner, Maroon, and Eaves. Comtois is similar to Rakell. Jones best fits that park in front of the next player, but he doesn't have that scoring instinct like Perry, Penner, Maroon, or Eaves. Jones is a speedy slasher/crasher too.

Comtois probably needs a break because his confidence has waned in himself. When Comtois returns, then I hope he gets paired with a more mobile center. Why try to make Comtois play a different game from what he showed that he already excelled at? His goal scoring is usually slashing by receiving a pass or on a breakout.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I don't think Comtois plays anything like Rakell. Best case scenario with him he plays like Beleskey did during his best years here imo. Rakell has turned somewhat into a play driver, Comtois is the opposite.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I don't think Comtois plays anything like Rakell. Best case scenario with him he plays like Beleskey did during his best years here imo. Rakell has turned somewhat into a play driver, Comtois is the opposite.
I don't agree that Comtois'"best case" is like Beleskey; I perceive he will be much more than that. But I do agree he's not much like Rakell either. I think Duckie is right about the speed aspect. It's worth noting that Max's current slump began when they put Getzlaf in between him and Rakell. Raks went cold too. For some reason, Max and Getzlaf are oil and water; they have never clicked when they've played on the same line. I think they should put Lundy back in that C slot, and it might just be worthwhile to try Getz with Janes and Backes, as someone suggested.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I meant that type of game not production

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Jones runs around like a chicken with his head cut off, atleast Beleskey knew where to go.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What are you smoking lol ? Obvious troll attempt unless you didnt start following the Ducks until sometime after Belesky left.

Beleskey was below half a point a game every year with the Ducks and he played on much better Ducks teams including 2 seasons that they were contenders. He couldn't pass as well as Comtois, basically Max Jones.

Comtois is only 22 and still is over half a point a game even with his slump sinking his stats.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
As I said I wasn't talking about production I was talking about play style. Beleskey knew where to be and could finish passes from Getzlaf which Jones cannot do at this time. Beleskey put himself in scoring positions and took advantage of scrambles just like Comtois has shown during Beleskey best season with us. Jones also is everywhere he shouldn't be but he does give a good physical effort. I am so done with your posts sorry man.

Jones is basically a low IQ, way bigger and physical Cogs. Energy player that can spark his line with his skating and chaos. He has size and strength over Cogs for sure but often times follows the puck everywhere. Cogs was much much smarter. Jones cannot finish just like Cogs couldn't.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Beleskey had 1, maybe 1.5 good seasons where he looked like a half decent offensive player, and that happened when he was 25/26. Otherwise, he was very similar to what Jones is now.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Beleskey had 1, maybe 1.5 good seasons where he looked like a half decent offensive player, and that happened when he was 25/26. Otherwise, he was very similar to what Jones is now.
Yes in his early years he was similar to Jones, I think Comtois will be more like his big year here.

Reactions: duxfan1101

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

You're right about the offensive numbers, but Bells did whatever he needed to do in order to stay in the lineup. He was constantly involved whenever he was on the ice whether that be killing penalties, fighting, hitting everything in sight, gooning it up, etc. and to his credit he always had a fantastic shot in his back pocket. I don't see the latter out of Jones, YET.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah he was decent in 2013-14 and solid in 2014-15 and those were really great Ducks teams.
The 2013-14 Ducks had the best offensive regular season the Ducks ever had, set franchise records that year for goals scored with 266 for 2nd in the league and team record 116 points.

Which ever line he played he had a decent center feeding him the puck, the Ducks were getting alot of points from their centers as 3 of them were top 4 in the teams points: Getzlaf, Bonino, Perreault and Koivu when they were rolling 4 lines in Boudreau system.
Each of the Ducks top 4 centers had over 435+ faceoff wins.
Beleskey had 24 points in 55 games that year. Today neither Jones or Comtois have the luxury of playing on a team like that & where every one is playing hard with 110% effort as a contender.

I completely forgot how good Bonino and Perreault were that year, i always felt it was mistake to let Perreault go for nothing.
He was good on faceoffs and generating offense where ever Boudreau played him.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah he was decent in 2013-14 and solid in 2014-15 and those were really great Ducks teams.
The 2013-14 Ducks had the best offensive regular season the Ducks ever had, set franchise records that year for goals scored with 266 for 2nd in the league and team record 116 points.

Which ever line he played he had a decent center feeding him the puck, the Ducks were getting alot of points from their centers as 3 of them were top 4 in the teams points: Getzlaf, Bonino, Perreault and Koivu when they were rolling 4 lines in Boudreau system.
Each of the Ducks top 4 centers had over 435+ faceoff wins.
Beleskey had 24 points in 55 games that year. Today neither Jones or Comtois have the luxury of playing on a team like that & where every one is playing hard with 110% effort as a contender.

I completely forgot how good Bonino and Perreault were that year, i always felt it was mistake to let Perreault go for nothing.
He was good on faceoffs and generating offense where ever Boudreau played him.

Beleseky is one a a great number of wings who Getlzaf (when in his prime) made rich. Eaves, Perron, Rackell, and even Perry should send him annuity checks every year. It is a little like playing defensive end next to Aaron Donald - you can accumulate stats.

Perreault was let go because they needed a stud 2C for years and when they got Kesler, they couldn't afford to keep Perrault as a3c/4c. Simple as that.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Not sure on the Perron comparison. Perron has a lethal wrist shot and is very generously listed at 6’ 200. Comtois is 6’2 215 with room to get stronger, and his scoring is more around the net than Perron.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Not sure on the Perron comparison. Perron has a lethal wrist shot and is very generously listed at 6’ 200. Comtois is 6’2 215 with room to get stronger, and his scoring is more around the net than Perron.

I don’t know how generous that is. Perron is a bull, he’s definitely 200 pounds. No idea if he’s 6’0 or not but if he isn’t he’s not far off.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I don’t know how generous that is. Perron is a bull, he’s definitely 200 pounds. No idea if he’s 6’0 or not but if he isn’t he’s not far off.

5’10 1/2 190. Don’t get me wrong, he is strong on his skates and good at what he does. I just don’t think he is truly 6’ 200.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
I guess the truth is disrespectful. okay
I mean, truth is part of it, but choice of words is pretty obviously the reason here, right? Instead of "I didn't like him," it's "I hated him." Calling him dogshit is maybe a bit much too, when he was still better (even in his lower production years) than quite a number of other players we've had over the years. Your choice of words is fine if you want to display it that way, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised to get a quick comment like you did =P

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I think Perron has a bit more skill for sure, especially when it comes to puck handling. I think Perron has the skill to be a bit more of a perimeter scorer than Max. Not saying DP is a “perimeter player” but I don’t see Max ever being able to score a lot from too far out whereas David can.

They are both pretty intelligent in the offensive zone. I see similarities but also some differences. The way they wear their skates is similar as well.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I'm still not wildly concerned. The size and skill set will probably keep him useful. He just needs a bit of time to get his head back on straight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad