Player Discussion Max Comtois

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
he is on a 30 plus goal pace and over 50 points on a shitty Ducks offensive team, I mean that’s really good. He also just turned 22 yo.
Of course it's really good.
My point is, he has been really good for years and the jump to this year has been great but nothing too much out of the ordinary.

He was instrumental to that WJC Gold medal checking line. Then he led the WJC team next year, they didn't got medals but he also played injured. He had a really nice start to his pro career, but slowed down a bit, got sent down, progressed there really nicely, being the AHL player of the month just before the lockdown. For sure he has made a step but he has been great at every level, I would say.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Comtois has taken a huge step, has separated himself miles between guys like Steel and Terry. On pace for over 50 points and over 32 goals (in a 82 game season). Very happy and with this team that is a rarity.

I notice an improvement with Steel, even if it's a small one. Lundy has been an improvement too.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I notice an improvement with Steel, even if it's a small one. Lundy has been an improvement too.

i still want to believe Steel can put it together but not sure if he can. He looked lost and a step behind playing with Zegras. I mean maybe it’s lack of chemistry with new line mates but there was concern.

Lundy I have really liked and think his points will come. But again on this team, points are very hard to generate.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I will disagree. I see not much where he has taken a huge step. He has progressed very well and steady pretty much each year. Sure he is better than last year, but I don't think there has been like a massive step or anything.

I agree here, Comtois has steadily improved since being picked, and what are seeing now is a young player putting it all together and carving out a role.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
The biggest asset Comtois brings is his ability and desire to go into the greasy areas to score. I’m hoping that rubs off on the rest of the kids.

He has a bit of size, but Connor Garland has proved that you don’t have to have size, you just have to want it.

John

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Doesn't get talked about enough.

19 points in 26 games. +8, over 15 minutes a game.
Turned 22 just 2 months ago, 37 points in 65 games (0.57 PPG) in his early career.

AP21056104921912-1.jpg

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The guy is just successful wherever he goes. Has a real nose for the net and just makes good plays most of the time.
I'm no expert on body language but watching him play he just looks like he's locked in and has all the confidence in the world and nothing is gonna get in his way.
He just picks up a stick and plays hockey, Comtois adding better playmaking to his game has made him even better.

Back in the 2017 draft i thought Morand was gonna be better, oh boy how terrible that sounds in hindsight. They drafted 2 best friends in Morand and Comtois.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
That Hutton goal assist for example – pure confidence. He stopped to read the ice, put the puck on the net and with some luck and nice run by Hutton it was in the back of the net.
We need him to keep it up but so far there is nothing that would suggest he wouldn't.

Exciting player.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
What I love about Comtois is that he seeks out and wins 1-on-1 battles. He doesn't just float into easy spaces and hope someone else makes a play or the puck bounces to him, he fights his way into the best position. He uses his feet to get into good leverage and then uses his size to take advantage of it.

Then when he has the puck on his stick, he has quick hands and vision. He identifies the right play then immediately and accurately puts the puck where it needs to go. A lot of guys will hold the puck on the perimeter for 4 seconds, then try some ridiculous hero pass, cross-ice against the grain and through three defenders. It works 1 time out of 20 and they look like amazing passer when it does. What Comtois does is way less flashy but way more consistently effective.

The play he made leading to the second Rakell goal was one of my favorite I've seen from this generation of Ducks prospects. First, he boxes out Walker effortlessly behind the net to give himself clear control of the puck. He gets it over to Rakell, who slips and turns it over. While that's happening, Maata tries to tie up Comtois, but Comtois fights through him to keep himself in the play and effectively take Maata out of it.

Walker tries to make an ill-advised pass, Comtois makes him pay with quick, soft hands to not just disrupt the pass but control it cleanly. He uses a big, wide stance to buy himself a little space and instantly draws four different Kings defenders' attention. He uses that split-second he bought himself to take a look over his shoulder, sees Rakell, instantly hits him with a perfect spinning backhander on the tape.

To succeed in the NHL, you gotta be able to win those little 1-on-1 situations where it's you and another NHL-quality player trying to beat you. Sometimes it's on the boards, sometimes it's open-ice, sometimes you're carrying the puck, sometimes you're defending. But Comtois instinctively understands the need to win those 1-on-1s and has the tools to win them.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Great value pick. I was expecting him to become a complementary top 6 player but he could be the line driver even. 70+ points per season potential for sure.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Me too. Morand looked like a line driver. Comtois is basicly our first of this draft.
I remember reading once that Morand was an average skater who is undersized (sounds a bit Sam Steel-ish).
Its possible now that in a 2017 redraft that Comtois goes in the top10 at about #10.
Would take Comtois over Mittlestadt and Yamamoto.

Oct 18, 2011
You can see how he and Zegras could work down the line, the key would be getting a power center or power winger to put with them I think, to help create some space

Reactions: Getz2noone

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
You can see how he and Zegras could work down the line, the key would be getting a power center or power winger to put with them I think, to help create some space

He should stay with Raks and Lundy imho. They work fine together.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
My favorite thing about Comtois is that he is not afraid to fail out there. He is still making mistakes but just keeps getting after it. Some of our other prospects are timid, and seem to disappear when things aren't going their way. Jones has this quality as well, just without the hands and offensive instincts of Comtois. Zegras, too. I sincerely hope the Ducks don't try to coach this out of him (Zegras). Playing without fear is one of the most important qualities an athlete can possess.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My favorite thing about Comtois is that he is not afraid to fail out there. He is still making mistakes but just keeps getting after it. Some of our other prospects are timid, and seem to disappear when things aren't going their way. Jones has this quality as well, just without the hands and offensive instincts of Comtois. Zegras, too. I sincerely hope the Ducks don't try to coach this out of him (Zegras). Playing without fear is one of the most important qualities an athlete can possess.

Well said. Eakins needs to stop benching Zegras for one example after he makes a mistake. He is playing with confidence and that is why Comtois has been so successful, but he is also a smart player, who has been picking up a lot of those clever apples like last night. Shouldn't put fear into these guys heads and let them worry about being benched if they make a mistake. To be creative it takes some risks but the upside is so much greater. Plus, so fun to watch these guys. These are the guys that will help set the Ducks Top 6 future, and it's looking pretty damn good. Just need to fix the D, but have key guys out now on D so hasn't been easy. I feel if the D was fully healthy and upgraded a little more, these guys can take even more risks.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
No points for Max in 5, no goals in 8. Only 4 shots during his point drought, and he went without a shot in 3 of the 5 games. It's his second lengthy goal drought of the season. And he's not playing well, he's not getting to the right places on the ice. Feels like he could use a different perspective, maybe a different center or maybe a game watching from the box. He's still a kid.

Last edited:

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
I just still feel like I don't really like his playstyle. It seems to me like he's more opportunistic than anything, and doesn't really drive play. He won't do anything by himself; he needs others to create a scoring opportunity for him to get to a soft spot (which he does admittedly well), but half the time I feel like he's being lazy. I'm not surprised by his streakiness.

*Edit* and I'm not saying we don't need players like this, we absolutely need players with a goal-scorer's touch. But I'm just not as high on him as some others.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I just still feel like I don't really like his playstyle. It seems to me like he's more opportunistic than anything, and doesn't really drive play. He won't do anything by himself; he needs others to create a scoring opportunity for him to get to a soft spot (which he does admittedly well), but half the time I feel like he's being lazy. I'm not surprised by his streakiness.

*Edit* and I'm not saying we don't need players like this, we absolutely need players with a goal-scorer's touch. But I'm just not as high on him as some others.

To be fair, that's good value from a second round pick. Hopefully we'll get the line drivers from the top of the last two and next two drafts. If Zegras can move to C, an opportunistic goal scorer is something he can really use.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
To be fair, that's good value from a second round pick. Hopefully we'll get the line drivers from the top of the last two and next two drafts. If Zegras can move to C, an opportunistic goal scorer is something he can really use.

I'm not thinking where they were picked in the draft as much, but agree if Comtois can be a regular 20+ goal scorer, that's nice. I mean, Terry was taken in the 5th round, and the fans have generally had quite high hopes for him, so if he can produce somewhat similarly (less goals, more assists), that's even better value.

I was also thinking Zegras centering for Comtois (and/or Perreault or whoever down the line) could be nice, if Z gets to the point where he's playing C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad