Player Discussion Max Comtois

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Easy call for team MVP this season from my perspective. Dude was effectively a 25 goal, 50 point winger over the course of an 82 game season on a team that struggled to put the puck in the net and he did it with all sorts of centers. Can’t wait to see his continued maturation and a full season of him and Zegras together

Last edited:

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
What do you all think his contract is gonna look like this off-season? Long or short term?

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
These were probably the best two games of the year for him. Great year overall, were a few peaks and troughs within, but an overall clear breakout for Max. I like the intensity he showed after he scored that goal tonite.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
As a side note, nobody hugs like Max. It's nice as typically you see side hugs, back taps and such but Max hugs you like your high school girlfriend.
Lol. He also posts a lot on social media about his teammates which I like, which also totally goes against what one of the coaches told me about him being selfish. I just don't see it.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Comtois is the only one who consistently going to the net, Zegras has been doing that also since he’s been up again, when he doesn’t have the puck. The Z and Comtois chemistry has been something special.

Ended the season at a .60 PPG clip, and had to do this mostly at ES. We really need to fix the PP, I can see Max feasting off the front of the net there on the PP.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Leading any team in scoring, even this team, is impressive.

He crashes the net, takes good shots and moves the puck quickly in tight spaces. It's not a skillset that produces dangles that make everyone go "oooooooh," but it's one that ends with the puck inside the other team's net more often.

He can still look lost when he's forced to the outside or when there's no pucks coming into the crease or behind the net for him to work with. I would describe his defense as pretty meh.

He should still have room to put on a little more muscle, which will help him establish himself even more as a crease presence. I dunno if I see him as a first liner on a good team, but he's definitely capable of being a contributor on a good team.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I'm a little late to this party. But Comtois looked like a future stud at times this season. It's so rare to find someone his size with his ability. A true point producing power forward. Great in front of the net and behind the net. Defensively he still has room to grow. His mere physical presence lets him get away with some defensive lapses, but that is exposed more on the NHL level. And he can definitely afford to improve his skating and mobility a bit still. But hopefully, those things will improve with experience and practice.

Either way, he looks like a future 1st line stud to me. Obviously not the elite of the elite, but a guy who could perennially be a fringe All-Star. Stick him with Zegras and a good, gritty, defensively sound wing partner and the sky is the limit. I would say at his peak, season to season, he'll be a 60-75 point player, or there about. 75 probably only in his best years. Add to that his size, his checking ability and with a little improvement in skating and mobility, and he'll be making Ducks fans very happy for the foreseeable future. A steal in the 2nd round.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'm a little late to this party. But Comtois looked like a future stud at times this season. It's so rare to find someone his size with his ability. A true point producing power forward. Great in front of the net and behind the net. Defensively he still has room to grow. His mere physical presence lets him get away with some defensive lapses, but that is exposed more on the NHL level. And he can definitely afford to improve his skating and mobility a bit still. But hopefully, those things will improve with experience and practice.

Either way, he looks like a future 1st line stud to me. Obviously not the elite of the elite, but a guy who could perennially be a fringe All-Star. Stick him with Zegras and a good, gritty, defensively sound wing partner and the sky is the limit. I would say at his peak, season to season, he'll be a 60-75 point player, or there about. 75 probably only in his best years. Add to that his size, his checking ability and with a little improvement in skating and mobility, and he'll be making Ducks fans very happy for the foreseeable future. A steal in the 2nd round.
In World Championships he looked like future 2nd liner. Not bad tho. But he was standing still a bit too much at times and was not burning anyone with his speed. He has really good offensive instincts tho.

Congrats to him on the engagement

Reactions: brakeyawself

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
In World Championships he looked like future 2nd liner. Not bad tho. But he was standing still a bit too much at times and was not burning anyone with his speed. He has really good offensive instincts tho.

Congrats to him on the engagement
I wouldn’t call him a future star, but I do think he’ll be a great complimentary piece in our top 6, and with right line mates could be a top line winger

Reactions: JabbaJabba and Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad