Player Discussion Max Comtois

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I've been watching Comtois since he was a Q rookie and man this is far and away the worst he's ever looked each of the last 6 games have been the worst 6 games of hockey I've ever seen from the guy. Lazy, low percentage plays and he's been glued to the perimeter when his bread and butter is his skill around the net. It seems like his mind isn't on hockey at all. I have no idea what's wrong.

Reactions: brakeyawself

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I've been watching Comtois since he was a Q rookie and man this is far and away the worst he's ever looked each of the last 6 games have been the worst 6 games of hockey I've ever seen from the guy. Lazy, low percentage plays and he's been glued to the perimeter when his bread and butter is his skill around the net. It seems like his mind isn't on hockey at all. I have no idea what's wrong.

I thought it would get him going when he got sat for a game, did nothing.

Reactions: brakeyawself

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
It appears mental.

Could this be a reaction to breaking up a line, for no real reason, that was so successful and showed so much promise last season? Hopefully it doesn't turn into a lack of confidence spiral. A guy lacking in confidence who now perceives he's also lost the confidence of the coach and team, could just deteriorate further. Which is probably worst case scenario.

It would be a giant relief to find out that some physical nagging ailment is occurring. But doesn't seem to be the case.

Reactions: Arthuros

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Maybe he got wind he was a part of the eichel trade?

I mean if your playing for a team and they are willing to trade you then I could see not wanting to give said team 100% effort

Just speculating

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Maybe he got wind he was a part of the eichel trade?

I mean if your playing for a team and they are willing to trade you then I could see not wanting to give said team 100% effort

Just speculating
I thought something similar. It's definitely possible.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
For at least one or two shifts they need to see if that is what he's been missing (Zegras) and then well that doesn't spark him then send Comtois to SD.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hate to bash on players but thought of this....

2B2866AD-99A2-4736-92E0-A0BA8C1182CB.gif

anyway have faith he will turn it around.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Comtois will be fine, second full season and having a bit of a slump, it happens.
Yeah. I don't think the problem is because lack of effort. He is out there skating hard, hitting, shooting, but he has not looked like hinself. Change of team strategy maybe messed with him and he is just lost out there it seems. But he should come back to score sheet at some point.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
As mentioned in the other thread, his underlaying numbers are good. At 51,7% CF% he's one of just 5 Ducks forwards above 50%. That's despite getting 57,4% defensive zone starts. Fenwick and other advanced stats are even better. Not the greatest fan of them but I don't think he's playing poorly.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
As mentioned in the other thread, his underlaying numbers are good. At 51,7% CF% he's one of just 5 Ducks forwards above 50%. That's despite getting 57,4% defensive zone starts. Fenwick and other advanced stats are even better. Not the greatest fan of them but I don't think he's playing poorly.
My eye tests says he is busting his ass as well. He just have to get it together, I think he has somehow went away from his own game a bit. But to me this looks like a growing pain, not a trend.

Out of all our LW's prospects with size in the past 10 years he's still on track to be the clear cut best one.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
He's looked better since being benched, throwing his body around at least. He had a few chances in the last game which was a first this season, first time he's really been dangerous at all. Hopefully he's trending in the right direction--Rakell's gone and Terry's not going to score in every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad