Player Discussion Max Comtois

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Guys like Comtois need to pattern their careers after Holmstrom. They just need to make the decision to dedicate themselves to getting the greasy garbage goals while getting beat up in front of the net.

It is an art that is lost in the rush mentality of modern hockey, but every team needs someone that will fight to stay in front and has the ability to tip anything.

John

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Jones has 29 more hits and 1 less point in 3 more games, and is probably twice his speed.

There is no pride in bring literally the only player Eakins has ever coached that cannot get along with him. It calls into question his ability to get along with any coach.

Seems like that has never been a problem before

Comtois averaged over 2 hits per game last year. Not even close to that this year. Going in the wrong direction.

John
I think that has to do with the coach and gm. They seem to want to change him into a 4th line/extra player enforcer which he's not

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

I think that has to do with the coach and gm. They seem to want to change him into a 4th line/extra player enforcer which he's not
He’s physically slow, mentally slow, the least physically fit player on the team, and quits on plays. He was getting extended top 6 minutes until it was obvious he was killing plays. They’re trying to turn him into a bottom 6 player because his work ethic isn’t good enough to be in our top 6, as bad as it is.

I really don’t care what he did 4-1/2 years ago. He was in shape and played like he gave a damn then, and was also good at the NHL level. People change. I’m also not sure that being the captain of the team that had 8 of its members allegedly involved in a sexual assault at that tournament is a grand show of character or leadership potential. (He has publicly stated he had nothing to do with it and has been cooperating with the authorities, but I don’t recall a peep out of him until it became a big bad publicity deal, I would like to be corrected if wrong).

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Valid arguments being made each way. Ultimately, as @MMC has alluded to, recent history shows that our cap situation will not play a factor. Verbeek clearly doesn't want to overpay any unproven younger player or hand out with raises to players who he feels haven't earned them (ie Steel and Milano). Just can't be surprised at all if he chooses to cut ties.

I would like to think that based on having both shown more at the NHL level than those two in the past, and having physical tools that would lend to a higher floor as a grinder - if those other two had zero trade value, maybe Comtois has at least some?

A grinder would put in consistent effort like a Des. Des is getting paid less than Comtois per AAV! Give me Des all day, everyday over a supposed PF in Comtois. Des can also PK, which Comtois cannot b/c he's slow AF!

Give the roster spot to someone else who will give a damn to work hard. Eakins set up Comtois well two seasons ago. Comtois has failed to live up to the standards he set up two seasons ago. No one is immune to demotion. Rico got waived and fixed his game. Terry was sent back down to the AHL a few times and benched for not producing at the NHL level. Why are so many carrying water for Comtois when he isn't willing to put in the work for the past two seasons?

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022
He’s physically slow, mentally slow, the least physically fit player on the team, and quits on plays. He was getting extended top 6 minutes until it was obvious he was killing plays. They’re trying to turn him into a bottom 6 player because his work ethic isn’t good enough to be in our top 6, as bad as it is.

I really don’t care what he did 4-1/2 years ago. He was in shape and played like he gave a damn then, and was also good at the NHL level. People change. I’m also not sure that being the captain of the team that had 8 of its members allegedly involved in a sexual assault at that tournament is a grand show of character or leadership potential. (He has publicly stated he had nothing to do with it and has been cooperating with the authorities, but I don’t recall a peep out of him until it became a big bad publicity deal, I would like to be corrected if wrong).
The 2018 team, which Comtois was on but did not captain, was the one with the sexual assault case. He captained the 2019 team. He was one of the last to issue a statement on the 2018 incident but, IIRC, it was one of the less weasely ones (for whatever that's worth).

Even so, captaining an international team for a two week tournament is not an anecdote that erases two seasons of more recent performance, or lack thereof.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
A grinder would put in consistent effort like a Des. Des is getting paid less than Comtois per AAV! Give me Des all day, everyday over a supposed PF in Comtois. Des can also PK, which Comtois cannot b/c he's slow AF!

Give the roster spot to someone else who will give a damn to work hard. Eakins set up Comtois well two seasons ago. Comtois has failed to live up to the standards he set up two seasons ago. No one is immune to demotion. Rico got waived and fixed his game. Terry was sent back down to the AHL a few times and benched for not producing at the NHL level. Why are so many carrying water for Comtois when he isn't willing to put in the work for the past two seasons?

Haha yeah my assertion that we will likely be giving up on him, and that he may have slightly more than zero trade value to another team - really going to bat for the guy.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The 2018 team, which Comtois was on but did not captain, was the one with the sexual assault case. He captained the 2019 team. He was one of the last to issue a statement on the 2018 incident but, IIRC, it was one of the less weasely ones (for whatever that's worth).

Even so, captaining an international team for a two week tournament is not an anecdote that erases two seasons of more recent performance, or lack thereof.
Ah, thank you for the correction.

Reactions: Firequacker

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

Definitely agree with the bolded

He’s never going to make it in this league as thay type of player. He needs to go somewhere where he’s encouraged to look for open ice in the offensive zone. I’m not saying he’s been discouraged from that here but he’s definitely looking to play too meat and potatoes here for my liking

I feel he’s been dumbed down

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad