Player Discussion Max Comtois

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Rakell was healthy, Cogliano was healthy, and Ritchie was only a matter of time getting him signed. .

Healthy at Right wing is Perry, Kase, and Silfverberg. Aberg, Terry, Roy, Sherwood, and quite a few others are also competing there.
250px-133Eevee.png

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
If our management staff does one thing pretty good it's drafting and developing. I don't know why anyone would be that upset they sent him down as opposed to playing with this garbage right now. Adding him to the lineup really doesn't do much in the long run and potentially harms his full development. This team is not a team in contention and I don't see how they will be this year, so I don't mind seeing him get to play a ton in juniors and in the WJC.

Someone also made a point that we may be trying to stagger contacts. Lou Lamoriello did this in Toronto and it's definitely interesting to think about.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Also Id love to see those who predicted aberg would make such an impression as to have him play his offwing to keep him in the top six. If I remember correctly everyone on this board wanted him off the planet after game one. That would have been quite the call.

Even though he's on the fourth line right now, Ritchie impressing probably played a factor, along with Terry lighting the AHL on fire and probably needing another shot soon. Just too many wingers that are arguably/probably above him.

Wouldn't be surprised if they did it on purpose, if the expansion draft is in 2020 it won't matter(won't matter a ton regardless) and I think theres definitely a benefit to having a guy burn that year early. I think they might've done the same with Lundestrom and even Ritchie a few years back as well.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
If our management staff does one thing pretty good it's drafting and developing. I don't know why anyone would be that upset they sent him down as opposed to playing with this garbage right now. Adding him to the lineup really doesn't do much in the long run and potentially harms his full development. This team is not a team in contention and I don't see how they will be this year, so I don't mind seeing him get to play a ton in juniors and in the WJC.

Someone also made a point that we may be trying to stagger contacts. Lou Lamoriello did this in Toronto and it's definitely interesting to think about.

I think this is the opposite though, as now Steel, Comtois, Jones, Mahura and Lundestrom all have their ELCs expire at the same time. Maybe theres some thought behind that(a lot of other contracts expire that year), but it isnt about staggering them.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

I don’t think people have an issue sending him down. People have an issue with wasting a year of his ELC. It removes a year of team control at a fixed price, and more importantly might expose him to an expansion draft at a time when we are already going to have issues protecting all the good players/prospects we have. It would make more sense if he was actually going to be a major contributor this year. As is...it comes across as poor management.

Reactions: KeepItDeep

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think my issue with these complaints are what I know would have happened had he been sent down while being our leading scorer. The same people here lamenting this decision would have bemoaned that one.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I think my issue with these complaints are what I know would have happened had he been sent down while being our leading scorer. The same people here lamenting this decision would have bemoaned that one.
There may have been some complaints, but the majority of fans I hope would have seen that outside of a few nice goals, he had been pretty ineffective for most of those 9 games. And with all the injured players coming back, the decision would have made sense... especially with how poor the team was doing at the time. Him being in the lineup versus not being in the lineup wasn’t going to change anything. Same goes for Lundestrom.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I’m nit lamenting sending him, and I have posts saying I thought his play had fallen off. I lament the short-sightedness of wasting a year of his eligibility. Anyone thinking he was playing well just because he was scoring goals was ignoring a lot of his erratic play when he wasn’t scoring.

Reactions: branmuffin17

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I’m nit lamenting sending him, and I have posts saying I thought his play had fallen off. I lament the short-sightedness of wasting a year of his eligibility. Anyone thinking he was playing well just because he was scoring goals was ignoring a lot of his erratic play when he wasn’t scoring.
I think I just disagree that it was shortsighted, but that's just a difference of opinion. That's fine if you think he should have been down regardless of the injury, my problem was just with the 'told you so' hindsight crowd.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I think I just disagree that it was shortsighted, but that's just a difference of opinion. That's fine if you think he should have been down regardless of the injury, my problem was just with the 'told you so' hindsight crowd.
If we sneak in by 4 points, it will have been worth it. Otherwise, I think it’s was a waste. I can see the other side though, and that tweet makes it much less of an issue. It’s still going to cost $$ earlier though.

Last edited:

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
If we sneak in by 4 points, it will have been worth it. Otherwise, I think it’s was a waste. I can see the other side though, and that tweet makes it much less of an issue. It’s still going to cost $$ earlier though.
You're probably right, but this could also work the other way just as easily. When his ELC is over, he will now have one "nothing" year on his record out of 3, and his next contract ends up being cheaper than it would have been otherwise. Whereas if his ELC slid, he might end up with 3 productive seasons instead of 2 going into negotiations. Much more for his agent to work with in that case.

Reactions: Trojans86

paine

Jun 4, 2007
A player must dress for 40 games in a season to accrue a season for free agency purposes.

Seattle expansion draft will be in 2020 or 2021.

1st & 2nd year pros aren’t eligible.

Max Comtois needed to play 11 games this season to count as a pro season.

He won’t be eligible.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
You're probably right, but this could also work the other way just as easily. When his ELC is over, he will now have one "nothing" year on his record out of 3, and his next contract ends up being cheaper than it would have been otherwise. Whereas if his ELC slid, he might end up with 3 productive seasons instead of 2 going into negotiations. Much more for his agent to work with in that case.

It's really difficult to predict and can go a number of ways. Like with Ritchie, it's really starting to look like burning that year was a good move and allowed BM to lock him up cheaply, but on the flip side, could you imagine if they would've done that with Rakell and his ELC expired a year earlier? He would've been probably a decent amount cheaper for a couple years and then would've likely gotten a much better deal. Or, what if Comtois really is this good and is gonna get a decent deal off his ELC regardless?

I dont think theres a wrong opinion on this, you can really argue it from any angle.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
I like this move of moving him back down. I don't mind burning a year at all as then he'll only have 2 years of pro experience to negotiate with.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I think this is spot on. For some, it's impossible to satisfy and often hindsight is used way too often around here. I don't blame him for how he handled Comtois, but I absolutely think it should have been a no brainer that both Lundestrom and Comtois should not hit the 9 game mark. There's a balance in the season and long term. Clearly Murray is thinking short term out of fear for his job, but IMO, to have both players hit the 9 game mark is ridiculous. I realize Lundestrom was one of the better rookies, but he still should have been sent back without much hesitation. Especially since Comtois was going to hit the 9 game mark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad