Post-Game Talk: Matty & Johnny Leads Leafs to Victory!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
What will Jets fans say when Matthews not is a completely better all round player than Laine but also wins a Richard trophy before him too?

This is the year Matthews puts up 50 goals.

Not only is he the best ES goal scorer in the league, he's on a lethal PP now with two great passers in Tavares and Marner. If he's healthy, the Rocket is his to lose.

Reactions: Paradoc

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Liked Leivo, Kadri, obviously Matthews and JT. Thought Oz was good. Andersen steady.
Good list. Thought dermott finished the game really well too. I think the leafs will have the best third pairing in the NHL if dermott and Oz keep playing there

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm liking this:

Habs busted their assess, still couldn't beat us.
Andersen looked great.
Matthews shot looks better than before.

Not liking this:
No urgency in our game.
Terrible stretch passes.
Hainsey needs a much more limited role.
f***IN SKATE BOYS

Ugly win but I'll take it.
Frustrating watch.

Reactions: ThewThew and dsred

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Breakouts are killing 'em. All forwards blow the zone and D handles the puck like a grenade. Who is the Defense coordinator for the Vegas Knights? Please throw millions at him.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Terrible zone entries on the evening. Lots of dump ins from center ice & poor retrievals.

Zone exits noticeably bad as well.

We were great on faceoffs all night.

Most of the lines really lacked chemistry. You could really see they clamped down hard on Matthews so Ennis and Marleau couldn't generate offense. I thought Ennis was invisible. Missed Nylander.

Kadri probably the best forward all around.

Matthews with two beauty snipes. Looks even more dangerous.

Hainsey looked really really slow.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Can’t wait until we get everyone in the lineup

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Marchment - Lindholm - Brown

Reactions: Liminality

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
If we can win games when we dont play well were in good shape. Price played great, Domi and Kotkeniemi were both very good and they skated as a team. Hats off to them, glad we could survive a pretty rusty looking game.

Lindholm looked like the worst player on the ice and the bottom 6 looked nervous all game.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
If Babcock saw what I saw, Ennis needs to be kept away from the top two lines.

He doesn't have what it takes to hang around there as teams will send their best defence against the top 6.

This is not a team with two first lines like we thought we would have if we roll Marleau-Matthews-Ennis.

It would be a joke if Ennis gets to stay there. Need to find a new placeholder until Nylander and Dubas end their stand off.

Reactions: saffronleaf

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
lol dammit I went to the bathroom and sure enough they win the game.

Now I have to wait for game in 6 highlights to see the ending!!!

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Our Center Depth as advertised.
AM - JT - NK - our best players

Freddy was good
Marner was good

Kappanen needs to play on higher lines
Johnsson needs to sit.

Babs and his staff better have another system other than those stretch passes like last season.

Credit to the habs who looked really good out there

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Feels good man!

But that was an ugly 3rd period. Leafs were getting solidly outplayed by the Habs.

It happens, man. Habs had 0 pressure. They were just coming in with the mindset of "let's upset these guys home opener" that's all. I expect to see a better Leafs team on Saturday. They will get better and better as the season goes on. It's a long season, guys

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Great effort by the Habs, Price played very well... Domi was decent, Kotkaniemi too... I thought our D players had a reasonable game defensively... some nice plays, but we just didn't skate well enough as a group, to gain, or maintain possession. WE need a better effort, and harder skating. 5 on 5, just not good enough yet, whether that is chemistry, or what, I'm not sure. Hopefully that comes together... No goals 5 on 5, and generally dominated during such periods.

I'm happy with the two points, and obviously our talent shone through, in an otherwise lackluster game. We've got some elite talent, Tavares, Matthews and Marner shone, but we need more from the other guys for sure.

Kadri was on his own too often offensively. Leivo had decent effort at times, but in the Ozone was a missing man.

Ennis isn't good enough for Matthews line... Nylander makes it special.

But, it's game one, and we got two points... so on a bad night, we won, so we take it, and move to game two.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Feels good man!

But that was an ugly 3rd period. Leafs were getting solidly outplayed by the Habs.

Have a feeling that if the refs would have called some of the obvious penalties, it would have gave us some momentum but instead of the obvious interference on Kap, the elbow on Dermott or Matthews being boarded and high sticked, they though a borderline interference penalty on Hainsey was the only major infraction.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Awesome start. By the end of the season, Auston will have made it obvious that he's the best player in the league.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Not a very strong game at all but good teams find a way to win games that they shouldn't so I'll take it.

On to Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad