Post-Game Talk: Matty & Johnny Leads Leafs to Victory!

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Nylander has his talent wasted for the most part. You could use Kapanen in place of Nylander and likely the line would perform nearly as well because Matthews is that good.

Marleau Matthews Kapanen
---- JT Marner
Leivo Kadri Nylander

JTs wing should be earned. I imagine Hyman is not on Matthews wing by request of Matthews. Leivo would be a better choice so far from what have seen.

JT/Marner would make AJ look like a $5m player if he can get his game together and replicate last years performance.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I'm pretty sure if you did a side by side video of that Matthews shot in slow motion compared to my shot at full speed, his would still be faster. That was a heavy, heavy wrister. Also, I would have missed the net.

Actually, I've been thinking about it all day. That's the hardest wrister I've seen in a long time. And combine it with how fast he collects it and gets it off *and* the accuracy, Jebus what a shot this guy has.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Cause if you ain't a cheerleader you ain't a real fan!

God forbid you have expectations of ever going beyond round 1!

You can be a fan without constantly being miserable even when we win. Sports are supposed to be relaxing, winning is supposed to be good.

Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Cause if you ain't a cheerleader you ain't a real fan!

God forbid you have expectations of ever going beyond round 1!

I think every team has issues to be concerned about. Boston got blown the f*** out, and SJ lost to Anaheim last night. Give the team some time to gel and get comfortable.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
i do not want Jake Gardiner on this team.
I acknowledge he is a great skater.
I acknowledge the fact he has 50+ points
the boy. is. dumb.

get someone stronger defensively, who can skate, even if we lose the points, and let's move on.

Precisely my rationale too. I acknowledge he has those traits. But they're also coupled with his overarching need to overcomplicate simple plays and give the puck away or ice the puck. I mentioned Dermott because he always seems to make the safe play, while being mobile and moving the puck very well regardless. He's also quite good defensively.

Jimclar

Oct 4, 2018
If you coached a team that won in that manner would you be satisfied?

The Wilson/Carlyle years has some moments where the team won games, but you knew they were due for a calapse.

No, I won't be satisfied, which falls into Babcock's plan. He can game plan for the next game, and point out all the mistakes that were made in game one. I'm sure the players know they were lucky to win game one.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Jimclar

Oct 4, 2018
We need to win every game with positive possession and shot advantage, anything else is failure in these here parts.

I'm new to this site, but I'm old enough to know not to get so excited after one game. How many years would the Leafs play well and lose and now it's play poorly and win. Expectations are high, and or good reason. But agree with you, just chill a bit. It was an exciting game for game one in it's own frantic way.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Reading through some of this thread is getting annoying. Some of you guys resrea need to stop dissecting this win. It was opening night, at home. Leafs came out sluggish got out played and still won. Maybe against a better team the leafs come out stronger. Maybe they just played down to their opponent. Let's enjoy the win and hope the leafs use this as a lesson for next game.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
We bout to blow up on everybodys faces saturday night live against ottawa y'all heard mee!! We bout to blow big time on that one. Se much better, powerful and richer than those pitiful fools. They dorks, no money, no power, no intelligence. We much more competition and I for one am investing big tyme on that there. :bank: :money: :dollar: :bet: :win: :for sure: :sure: :thang:

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
We bout to blow up on everybodys faces saturday night live against ottawa y'all heard mee!! We bout to blow big time on that one. Se much better, powerful and richer than those pitiful fools. They dorks, no money, no power, no intelligence. We much more competition and I for one am investing big tyme on that there. :bank: :money: :dollar: :bet: :win: :for sure: :sure: :thang:
:laugh: I didn't even know you still posted here but somehow I knew who this was.

Yeah we could really blow them out. They don't even have their first.

Jimclar

Oct 4, 2018
We've literally won every game this season and people still wilin smdh

Some Leaf fans and the usual Leaf haters, complain about giving 36 to Montreal shots so they the say the Leafs Dmen. is so bad.

Last night the Jets win 5-1 and give up 41 shots. Guess it's time to trade Morrissey, Buff, Trouba and Myers.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
J
Some Leaf fans and the usual Leaf haters, complain about giving 36 to Montreal shots so they the say the Leafs Dmen. is so bad.

Last night the Jets win 5-1 and give up 41 shots. Guess it's time to trade Morrissey, Buff, Trouba and Myers.
Man those Jets are a scary team right now. Wait pretty sure the Leafs are very much consitered on par with them some would even say better. Hard Agree to this posters remark. remark.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
J
Man those Jets are a scary team right now. Wait pretty sure the Leafs are very much consitered on par with them some would even say better. Hard Agree to this posters remark. remark.
When Tor makes it to the conferance finals then maybe, but they havent yet.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
After one game, there seems to be clear indications, or first impressions of the players on the Leafs this new season.

1. Hainsey looks gassed, or maybe he is just old. Maybe play him on the bottom pairing with Dermott.

2. Igor Oz looks like he belongs in the NHL. His poise out there was very surprising, because he was so poised. We will see after 10 games what he will be like. No one knew who Zaitsev was. Leafs do not make the playoffs with Zaitsev in back to back years.

3. Zach Hyman is a better winger than Tyler Innis. Babcock is a smart coach, who does not believe in this analytics stuff. Innis has good analytics? Fine let him play with their best player. Matthews is better with Hyman there beside him.

4. All the forwards last game looked like they were only interested in scoring. Montreal surprised them and everybody. They weren't slow and old like last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad