Post-Game Talk: Matty & Johnny Leads Leafs to Victory!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Did not deserve to win that game, as a team, but thank goodness for Matthews and Tavares.

Leafs played awful, Montreal played their hearts out (credit to them, they were prepared) but skill won out

i really hate that saying (for consistency sake) but goodness graious does it ever apply tonight.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Can't win them all, but we won that one. Opening nights are a nightmare. Have to take some good out of this. 2 points. Matthews is gold.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
If Babcock saw what I saw, Ennis needs to be kept away from the top two lines.

He doesn't have what it takes to hang around there as teams will send their best defence against the top 6.

This is not a team with two first lines like we thought we would have if we roll Marleau-Matthews-Ennis.

It would be a joke if Ennis gets to stay there. Need to find a new placeholder until Nylander and Dubas end their stand off.

Ya!
Kappy can be the Faster explosive Hyman with some more size!

Reactions: Havoc

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
If Babcock saw what I saw, Ennis needs to be kept away from the top two lines.

He doesn't have what it takes to hang around there as teams will send their best defence against the top 6.

This is not a team with two first lines like we thought we would have if we roll Marleau-Matthews-Ennis.

It would be a joke if Ennis gets to stay there. Need to find a new placeholder until Nylander and Dubas end their stand off.

I wish we would throw Kap on the top line, Ennis would be fine on the fourth, but he is NOT a first liner....then again seeing what Babs did with Hyman, who even knows?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Win is a win - doesn't matter how you get it (it's 2 points)

Both Matthews and Tavares scored but our 3rd "C" Kadri was pretty solid

Reactions: The Apologist

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
There were stretches were the Leafs just looked awful but they are so deadly once the talent is unleashed from Hyman

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
That hit on Matthews was very concerning for me. If anyone touches Matthews, he should be jumped immediately.

Matthews is a special player, I don't want players taking a run at him.
It should have been a penalty and we respond by scoring a goal on them.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Nerves really showed. IDK why gards was a tire fire for like 2/3's of the game but he settled down and helped us down the stretch. But dude you've been in the league so long like come on man.

So so game, thought everyone was just turning the puck over too much, matty, jt the whole d corps etc..
hopefully we're mostly settled in and are strong for Saturday.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Concerned by how bad we looked, it was extremely similar to the December thru January slump last season. We will never have success playing like that, a lottery team just outplayed us for 60 mins.

How can you be concerned? First game of the year, of course they were kinda sloppy, but having said that, Auston proves he's the best and wins the game. Great start.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Breakouts are killing 'em. All forwards blow the zone and D handles the puck like a grenade. Who is the Defense coordinator for the Vegas Knights? Please throw millions at him.

I seriously thought Babcock would change the system this year. The best teams do not employ the long stretch pass option as much as we do.

Anecdotally, Vegas was by far, the best break-out team last year and it's all done through the D skating it out and looking for the short pass if they get boxed out. The pessimistic side in me says Babcock has not even considered this option in training camp.

Reactions: dsred and Erdinger

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Yeah they've got defensive stuff to work on for sure.

But Freddy was awesome and they managed a win (with 3 awesome goals! Both of Matthews goals were incredible!)

They need some time to gel and the coaching staff to work things out, they'll only get better.

Montreal looked really good. Very fast and very aggressive, Price looks great.

Just going to enjoy the win :D

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
Dermott possibly saved a goal there stripping that kid of the puck during a breakaway in the 3rd.

And Hainsey has to go... He seems even slower this year.

Reactions: rumman

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
Just my take

1st line. Tavares didnt disappoint. Marner was a bit invisible 5v5 and a real bad game by Hymen.
2nd line. Matthew's didnt Disappoint either, lol. Did Ennis dress tonight? Marleau wasnt good, not terrible but not good.
3rd line. Didnt mesh at all. Kadri was great all game, very engaged. Brown and Leivo aren't a great fit with Kadri.
4th line. Par is good, 4th centre is definitely been found. Johnsson and Kapanen need to step up.

Overall the Centres where good. Wingers not so much.

Not even gonna talk about the D. Nuff said on these boards.

Anderssen was fantastic.

Once the lines gel, this team will be scary. But a new defensive structure is needed, no more stretch passes please and Hainsey is far slower this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad