Matthews vs. Eichel

Who scores more points this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Wouldn't it make more sense to look at PPG since Eichel entered the league?

Since the question is who will score more this current season, then no. Eichel scoring .93 and .96 PPG in back to back seasons is going to be far more relevant than his 0.69 rookie year. Though Matthew's increase in PPG needs to also be accounted for

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Wouldn't it make more sense to look at PPG since Eichel entered the league?

Ugh. I DID in so many other posts.

Why quote me for doing that when countless amount of leaf fans have been cherry picking stats all over this thread. Yet you see one post of mine and taking it out of context (because had you
Followed the conversation you’d of seen I did that Already mupltiple
Times in this thread alone) and you quote me.

You’d also of seen I wrote Matthews has been the better play so far despite that stat above.

Anyway the only reason I did compare the guys two years is because both guys played against the same opposition in those two years, the quality on different teams was the same, so it is an accurate had to head stat. If one guy plays in another year where teams or goalies suck t will be easier. If you compare head to head especially when both guys bdays are eleven months apart and Matthews played In a pretty good adult league the year before the NHL I didn’t figure head head was a bad comparison in those two years. OH and for the reason it’s easier to have a better points per game in two years then it is in three. If you add on to something the average goes down after awhile, I used the example it’s easier to score a higher grade on a test if there’s forty questions then say if there’s a hundred. This is the reason goals against average and save percentage have cut offs for goalies who can be leading he League it isn’t fair if they e k my players a certain amount because of it’s in a smaller sample the stats can look better. Granted two seasons and three aren’t very different but still, you were asking more or less I compared the two and thats just a few reasons I did.

Either way I explained what there career ppgs career wise was twice already in here and said Matthews has been better despite those other numbers. But I’m vilified for looking at something due to some logical reasons likethe ones I just stayed above yet Guys like zeke and ips and a couple others can come in here with their one sided stats and say one destroys the other yet I’m the one being both rational and fair yet I’m crucified? Consistency please lol

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Both are gonna tear is up this season. It’s a coin toss for me, but I think Matthews is probably the safer pick given the talent around him.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
That's why I can't understand someone saying Matthews needs to grow and be a better pick in a year.

You know what’s more impressive then getting 65 points and 30 goals though?

Eichel has put up 121 pts in his last 128 games with no star power on his line. Or even great player on his line. Past the fifty pt range.

On a dead last offense and doing that over two seasons where he suffered serious injury known to linger for months.

Would it be ridiculous for me to say Matthews can’t create plays because he’s never hit 30 assists?

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Whats an Eichel?! Matthews will have more powerplay goals than he has points!

Good question, what is an Eichel? Who is he?

The guy who was compared to Connor mcdavid at the draft and taken ahead of provorov, rantanen, Marner, werenski amongst others. The guy who finished 11th best among ALL players in the entire league every position, in just his second year. The guy who still was in on 32 percent of his teams offense despite missing 20 percent of the year in his third season. The guy who’s never scored fewer then 24 goals yet has always gotten over 30 assists in every season he’s played despite missing a quarter of the year in 2/3 seasons he’s played under two different coaching systems one bad one with a rookie coach in his first year that he had to learn. Amongst the two serious injuries that effect long-term AND no star players on his line or even team. The guy who is top 10 in NHL salary yet not nevrer on a top ten or twenty worst contract list. Especially with the market going up and how it hasn’t kicked in yet he’s with the money now imagine in two years four years six years? Etc.

See I think the reason some LEAF fans are even “offended” when comparing the two which is ridiculous and pompous in itself is because Eichel has been on a team that gets no exposure hasn’t done anything important in his time there, and while his production remains elite for a player of his age And finally As I said above in the last 128 games Eichel has put up 121 pts, MORE then Matthews.

I can see why people don’t know or get offended with comparisonsat first when given that knowledge. If my team was covered to the extent the leafs were and having a top player knowing his elite skill, raw ability, natural talent and production was top notch and then seeing posters
Compare him to another other young player who put up great pt totals on a team that lost a lot who I never saw or heard much about whether it’s injury or anything else a large part of me would be inclined tho think, “no chance” too. At first...I’d at least be open minded if he performed as consistent Eichel has, or tried watching him some time and not rely on advanced metrics because it’s so much easier to look at that when things are going bad then being in awe of his skill. This is how it will be for Eich unfortunately until he starts winning. Because of his injuries he’s never been able to finish top 50 in scoring despite finishing 56th and 59th? Those are guesses it was not Lowe return 60 I don’t think it was definitely around there and his points per game finishes the last two years which is best stat for a guy who misses fifteen to twenty percent or over like Matthews Bergeron Gerald schedules and eichel last year he finished 11th in 16-17 and top 25 last year too.

He’s only going to keep getting better and now has better linemates and puck moving d men on the back end. Dahlin and Pilut both from the SHL.

Look for him, both guys to keep improving.

Last edited:

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Too close to call when you are looking at points. Matthews will have more goals and is better defensively but straight points? Too close to call.

Also, why do threads like this keep getting made? For the last year or so the large majority of Sabres fans have agreed Matthews is the better overall player but you still get these threads made by a couple leaf fans every couple of weeks. Like you guys won, why keep bringing it up in 90 point font? Why do you need everyone constantly telling you Matthews is better than Eichel? You guys even continue to argue with TheJackAttack despite him saying he believes Matthews is the overall better player several times but just thinks Eichel may get more points this year. Why not just disagree and then move on?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Too close to call when you are looking at points. Matthews will have more goals and is better defensively but straight points? Too close to call.

Also, why do threads like this keep getting made? For the last year or so the large majority of Sabres fans have agreed Matthews is the better overall player but you still get these threads made by a couple leaf fans every couple of weeks. Like you guys won, why keep bringing it up in 90 point font? Why do you need everyone constantly telling you Matthews is better than Eichel? You guys even continue to argue with TheJackAttack despite him saying he believes Matthews is the overall better player several times but just thinks Eichel may get more points this year. Why not just disagree and then move on?

Because they are SUPER close in talent, age and production. I think that unlike many polls.....this one is actually a very good one. Arguments can be made for both players. It seems like in the end, Matthews wins, but it's a close one.

I'm happy that I picked up Eichel in my pool last night.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Not going to read this train wreck considering the length of some of these posts.

Just curious how many times 121 in 128 has been brought up? What an accomplishment!

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Matthews still not even 60%?

what more does he have to prove besides being better in pretty much every category, and doing it with less ice time (especially PP)

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Matthews still not even 60%?

what more does he have to prove besides being better in pretty much every category, and doing it with less ice time (especially PP)

The poll is just asking who gets more points this year.

Reactions: Raymoondo

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
18 mins/game
40g scorer as a rookie
calder winner
NHL record 1st game
led team to 95pts the year after they were the worst team in the league
2/2 playoffs
ppg+ 2nd season
tied lead league in even strength goals since entering the league (20 less games than Mcdavid with much less ice time)
54.5% face off

vs
20mins/game
25g scorer, hasnt even sniffed 30 yet let alone 40
4th place calder voting
no NHL records
hasnt led team to playoffs yet
hasnt hit ppg yet
does most of his damage on the PP. was -25 in 67 games last year. getting hammered at ES
41.5% face off

this isnt and shouldnt be close. If Matthews was on the Blue jackets or something this would be 90% in his favor.
ridiculous. just as Mcdavid is a clear tier above Matthews, so is Matthews above eichel

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
18 mins/game
40g scorer as a rookie
calder winner
NHL record 1st game
led team to 95pts the year after they were the worst team in the league
2/2 playoffs
ppg+ 2nd season
tied lead league in even strength goals since entering the league (20 less games than Mcdavid with much less ice time)

vs
20mins/game
25g scorer, hasnt even sniffed 30 yet let alone 40
4th place calder voting
no NHL records
hasnt led team to playoffs yet
hasnt hit ppg yet
does most of his damage on the PP. was -25 in 67 games last year. getting hammered at ES

this isnt and shouldnt be close. If Matthews was on the Blue jackets or something this would be 90% in his favor.
ridiculous. just as Mcdavid is a clear tier above Matthews, so is Matthews above eichel
Matthews also set the new Leafs record for goals by a rookie and he also scored the first goal of the game a lot of times as a rookie.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I say Matthews stats when playing 5v5 is a lot better than Eichel's so called 121 points in 128 games.

Auston Matthews NHL Advanced Statistics (5-on-5) | Hockey-Reference.com

the hilarious thing is the 121 in 128 is eichels draft +2 and draft +3
so far matthews has 63 in 62 in his draft +2, going into draft +3 (and playing 2 mins less at that)

he is just superior in every category and the closest thing sabres fans can do is ignore everything except matthews draft +1 + 2 PPG and compare it to eichels D 2+3.

dont get into goals, career ppg, p/60, g/60, +/-, ES production or anything like that though

it has to be eichels 2nd and 3rd year ppg vs matthews 1st and 2nd year..its the only stat thats even close

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Matthews also set the new Leafs record for goals by a rookie and he also scored the first goal of the game a lot of times as a rookie.

What does anything he did in his rookie year have to do with who scores more points in 2018-2019 season? My God, it seems some people are so worried about that question they keep having to tell the world Matthews scored more at 14yo than Eichel did, which I'm not even sure is true but it has about the same importance to the topic as half the posts in this thread.

Barzal scored more in his rookie season than either player, does that mean he will always score more than both of them and finish as the greatest of all time, because he had the best rookie season?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What does anything he did in his rookie year have to do with who scored more points in 2018-2019 season? My God, it seems some people are so worried about that question they keep having to tell the world Matthews scored more at 14yo than Eichel did, which I'm not even sure is true but it has about the same importance to the topic as half the posts in this thread.
What does saying how Jack Eichel has 121 points in 128 games have to do with the 2018-2019 season?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
the hilarious thing is the 121 in 128 is eichels draft +2 and draft +3
so far matthews has 63 in 62 in his draft +2, going into draft +3 (and playing 2 mins less at that)

he is just superior in every category and the closest thing sabres fans can do is ignore everything except matthews draft +1 + 2 PPG and compare it to eichels D 2+3.

dont get into goals, career ppg, p/60, g/60, +/-, ES production or anything like that though

it has to be eichels 2nd and 3rd year ppg vs matthews 1st and 2nd year..its the only stat thats even close

I still don't think you have read the OP...

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
What does saying how Jack Eichel has 121 points in 128 games have to do with the 2018-2019 season?

Nothing, I'm not targeting either fan base specifically, both have been silly in this thread. Past results may give a baseline for what each player has done to this point but a small difference in PPG either way doesnt set in stone which one has a better season this year. The question isnt who is better now, or who has been better, its who will score more points and imo it's a judgement call either one would be a good answer.

Reactions: Snippit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad