Matthews vs Barkov vs Draisaitl

Who will have a better season and who do you take going forward?

• Total voters

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
If you check the leafs record without Mathews in the line up were they bad?
Then check it without that winger named Marner how do they look?
I honestly expect that poster to answer with “I don’t know” or “you look it up”

everyone that watches knows the leafs record without Matthews last year was very much the same as it was with him in the lineup. 11-7-2 without Matthews in the lineup. Pretty good

Without Marner, the leafs imploded (1-6 record)

Edit: that poster actually said they don’t know!!! Too predictable

Double edit: and they told you to look it up!! Unreal

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Jagr had many other great years away from that Pittsburgh team. Bad example

We shall see what Drai does in his prime without mcdavid. At some point or another, thats probably going to happen, and something tells me you're not gonna like it. It's pretty obvious from your posts that you dont really know much about him as a player.

Reactions: Neutral Hockey Fan

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
We shall see what Drai does in his prime without mcdavid. At some point or another, thats probably going to happen, and something tells me you're not gonna like it. It's pretty obvious from your posts that you dont really know much about him as a player.
We can speculate but unless one of us has a time machine we dont know. So just saying at some point he might be moved and hypothetically puts up good numbers isnt an argument.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
We can speculate but unless one of us has a time machine we dont know. So just saying at some point he might be moved and hypothetically puts up good numbers isnt an argument.

No it's not a good argument. And neither is your mcdavid argument, considering we dont know how Drai would do without him, centering his own #1 line in an extended sample size.

I think you really need to just watch the dude play. He's changed a lot of minds with his play this year, with mcdavid. Why do you think that is? What could it possibly be?

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
11-7-2 without Matthews
1-6 without Marner this year

I watch the games, unlike you apparently
Just because I watch leafs games i'm supposed to remember records without a certain player off the top of my head? I'll keep that in mind, maybe it can be a cool party trick

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
No it's not a good argument. And neither is your mcdavid argument, considering we dont know how Drai would do without him, centering his own #1 line in an extended sample size.

I think you really need to just watch the dude play. He's changed a lot of minds with his play this year, with mcdavid. Why do you think that is? What could it possibly be?
The thing is, we dont know what Drai would do at his own #1C line. We do know what Matthews does at his own #1C line. He has done it since his rookie year. We also dont know what Matthews does with the best player on earth. So thats what we do and dont know

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Just because I watch leafs games i'm supposed to remember records without a certain player off the top of my head? I'll keep that in mind, maybe it can be a cool party trick
You seriously don’t remember the leafs 6 game losing streak literally only 2/3 weeks ago, while Marner was injured? How is that even possible?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
The thing is, we dont know what Drai would do at his own #1C line. We do know what Matthews does at his own #1C line. He has done it since his rookie year. We also dont know what Matthews does with the best player on earth. So thats what we do and dont know

And Drai is keeping pace with that best player in the world.. with your mindset, there's literally nothing drai can do to change your mind. If he puts up 150 this year, you'll just keep saying it's because of Mcdavid.

I dont care who the better player by a microscopic margin is. They're both pretty awesome. It's your logic I'm questioning here and obviously quite a few others as well. I dont think you're fooling anyone.

Reactions: Neutral Hockey Fan

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
I dont remember the exact record. Sue me! Honestly felt like more than 7 games
Honestly, you didn’t remember losing a bunch of games in a row a mere 2/3 weeks ago while Marner was injured, leading to babcock being fired? For real? That’s embarrassing. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
And Drai is keeping pace with that best player in the world.. with your mindset, there's literally nothing drai can do to change your mind. If he puts up 150 this year, you'll just keep saying it's because of Mcdavid.

I dont care who the better player by a microscopic margin is. They're both pretty awesome. It's your logic I'm questioning here and obviously quite a few others as well. I dont think you're fooling anyone.
I'm not trashing Drai. But in this poll, its comparing him to 2 elite #1 C's.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I'm not trashing Drai. But in this poll, its comparing him to 2 elite #1 C's.

I never Said you did.

Ok lets try a different approach to this. How many points would Drai have to put up with Mcdavid for you to consider changing your mind?

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I never Said you did.

Ok lets try a different approach to this. How many points would Drai have to put up with Mcdavid for you to consider changing your mind?
I dont think its a matter if how many he puts with Mcdavid, but how many he puts up away from Mcdavid. Make him a #1C all season with average wingers

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
I never Said you did.

I’m interested in this answer as well. If 50 goals, 105 points while being an excellent penalty killer, and having a strong physical game isn’t enough to be in the same tier as Matthews (who that poster called a point per game centre, so let’s be generous and say Matthews is an 80-85 point guy, depending on health), I’d like to know what is

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I never Said you did.

400 points with atleast 200 even strength goals, and no more than 3 secondary assists, cure cancer, and build the world's tallest skyscraper barehanded all while playing less than 17 mins a game

after all, he is playing with mcdavid...

Reactions: Redwingsfan

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I dont think its a matter if how many he puts with Mcdavid, but how many he puts up away from Mcdavid. Make him a #1C all season with average wingers

And this is where your bad logic shines through. There's absolutely nothing draisaitl can do in his current situation to make you pick him over Matthews. Nothing.. do you not see how that might not be the correct approach? Not even a 150 points while Mcdavid gets 120 would be enough?

You wanna know what I think? I think you're using Mcdavid so you can avoid and continue to ignore the real problem, that he's clearly outscoring Matthews. Because points and goals are the base of your argument pretty much everywhere else, except for here...

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
And this is where your bad logic shines through. There's absolutely nothing draisaitl can do in his current situation to make you pick him over Matthews. Nothing.. do you not see how that might not be the correct approach? Not even a 150 points while Mcdavid gets 120 would be enough?

You wanna know what I think? I think you're using Mcdavid so you can avoid and continue to ignore the real problem, that he's clearly outscoring Matthews. Because points and goals are the base of your argument pretty much everywhere else, except for here...
Its a very specific case. How many players get to play with Mcdavid? If it was extreme as your hypothetical 150 points then yes that might tilt the scales. Also I am not using Mcdavid to "avoid and ignore the problem" I honestly believe both Barkov and Matthews are superior

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Its a very specific case. How many players get to play with Mcdavid? If it was extreme as your hypothetical 150 points then yes that might tilt the scales. Also I am not using Mcdavid to "avoid and ignore the problem" I honestly believe both Barkov and Matthews are superior

So you’re saying if Drai does something that only 4 players in the history of the game have done that “might tilt the scales” lol

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006

It's not that extreme. Have you seen his pace this year and done the math?

I do believe that you believe that. No doubt about it. I also believe what i Said is true, despite you claiming otherwise. Mcdavid on the same team is a very convenient excuse.

If you dont see the problem in saying 150 points might tip the scales.. you're always going to believe Matthews is better no matter what the so called evidence tells you.. If he ever does get to center his own line for an extended periode of time and still performs better, I'm confident you will come up with a new excuse. Anything that fits.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Do you think Matthews line mates are “average”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad