Matthews vs Barkov vs Draisaitl

Who will have a better season and who do you take going forward?

• Total voters

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Do you think Matthews line mates are “average”
Compared to the quality of linemates almost all upper tier stars get (including Barkov and Draisaitl), Matthews' linemates have been below average for his whole career.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Compared to the quality of linemates almost all upper tier stars get (including Barkov and Draisaitl), Matthews' linemates have been below average for his whole career.

thats subjective, and not at all what the poster or I said.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Not really.

Not this again. :facepalm:

You might want to go back and read your own post.

my post was asking if Matthews line mates were “average” because the post I responded to claimed that to compare Drai and Matthews Drai would need to center a line with average wingers. Then you joined and claimed that meant average wingers for a superstar which is not what was discussed.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Barkov seems the clear #1 to me.

Matthews so far seems.... I don't want to say 1 dimensional because that's not fair, but he's a 1 way forward for now.

Draisatil you worry is an effect of McDavid still. He's a good to great NHL player on his own but the OP's question makes him a risky pick.

If taking 1 of these three ala Pokemon, Barkov is the surest thing.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
So you’re saying if Drai does something that only 4 players in the history of the game have done that “might tilt the scales” lol
In Drai's hypothetical 150 point season Mcdavid has 170-180 in that scenario. Im not worried about some hypothetical crazy season

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
It's not that extreme. Have you seen his pace this year and done the math?

I do believe that you believe that. No doubt about it. I also believe what i Said is true, despite you claiming otherwise. Mcdavid on the same team is a very convenient excuse.

If you dont see the problem in saying 150 points might tip the scales.. you're always going to believe Matthews is better no matter what the so called evidence tells you.. If he ever does get to center his own line for an extended periode of time and still performs better, I'm confident you will come up with a new excuse. Anything that fits.
Mcdavid is not an excuse. Playing with the best player in the league is gonna help you. Think of Chris Kunitz. Drai is obviously better than Kunitz but he is a prime example of the way a superstar can boost your totals

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Mcdavid is not an excuse. Playing with the best player in the league is gonna help you. Think of Chris Kunitz. Drai is obviously better than Kunitz but he is a prime example of the way a superstar can boost your totals
Kunitz never scored more than 68 pts in any season he’s every played. He isn’t a comparable to Draisaitl at all.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Drai has the stats and totals to back it up, Matthews has hopes and dreams and woulda coulda shoulda's.
Im not sure what this is referring to. I also think its funny how everyone is attacking Matthews because i'm a leafs fan. Did everyone miss the part where I said Barkov is the best? Rip him to shreds

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Kunitz never scored more than 68 pts in any season he’s every played. He isn’t a comparable to Draisaitl at all.
That wasnt the best example. But we can all agree Drai doesnt get 50-55-105 without Connor Mcdavid by his side

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
That wasnt the best example. But we can all agree Drai doesnt get 50-55-105 without Connor Mcdavid by his side
I wouldn’t have thought so either after last season. The thing that changed my mind was watching how Draisaitl carried the best player in the world for the first two months of this season while McDavid was far below his usual standards and ability while still recovering from the brutal leg injury sustained at the end of last season.

Smaller sample size, but in their only playoff appearance, Draisaitl had 16 pts in 13 games while McDavid has only 9 pts in the same amount of games.

Playing with a McDavid is better than playing with Joe Schmoe and more pts will be accumulated with the latter, but Draisaitl has proved (for those who watch him) that he’d be an elite, near the top of table scorer regardless.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
my post was asking if Matthews line mates were “average” because the post I responded to claimed that to compare Drai and Matthews Drai would need to center a line with average wingers. Then you joined and claimed that meant average wingers for a superstar which is not what was discussed.
I don't know why you wouldn't be discussing linemates relative to the quality of the player being discussed; that's pretty useless. An "average" winger for a 1st liner is different than an "average" winger for a 4th liner. You asked about Matthews' linemate quality, and you got an answer.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Kunitz had a great 200-feet game ?

You might want to re-think that argument.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I don't know why you wouldn't be discussing linemates relative to the quality of the player being discussed; that's pretty useless. An "average" winger for a 1st liner is different than an "average" winger for a 4th liner. You asked about Matthews' linemate quality, and you got an answer.
I don’t know why you’re wondering what is being discussed to me? All I did was ask a poster what kind of line mates Matthews as had as that was relevant to him saying Drai needs to be a C with average line mates. You’re trying very hard to paint me as the bad guy here yet again and I’m not sure why.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad