Matthews vs Barkov vs Draisaitl

Who will have a better season and who do you take going forward?

• Total voters

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Yep everyone who played with McD has gotten 50/100 just like all the 100 point players produced by Crosby.
It takes no skill with those guys, that’s why Edmonton always has all that depth and 100 point wingers every year.
He has more points than Mcdavid? Ummm yep just like all the other no skilled wingers that played with mcdavid.

He is far superior two those guys that’s just the way it is.
Let’s not forget Mathews has gotten to hide behind Marner on the second line so he gets an easier ride
Not saying Drai has no skill. He is a good player but definitely benefits from playing with Mcdavid.

Marner plays with Tavares. Matthews plays with Nylander and Johnsson, not Marner.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Draisaitl is better than Matthews, but the gap is maybe not quite as big as their stats show. Still pretty clear from watching them who's better though.
Switch Matthews for Drai and see who puts up better numbers. Matthews doesnt have a Mcdavid to play with

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Switch Matthews for Drai and see who puts up better numbers. Matthews doesnt have a Mcdavid to play with

Matthews would not be able to keep pace with McDavid in points this far into the season, but he would likely score over 50 goals.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
If Matthews played with McDavid, I have no doubt that he would hit 74 points (possibly even slightly more) for the first time in his now 4 year career. He’s a solid (offensive) player.

Drai might hit 74 in just assists however. He’s in another tier. The same tier as Barkov. Those are 2 guys you could start a franchise with and be very happy about it

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Matthews would not be able to keep pace with McDavid in points this far into the season, but he would likely score over 50 goals.
Who knows. All I know is he doesnt have a superstar alongside him at all times, when Drai obviously does

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
He doesnt play behind anyone. He is the best player on the leafs if you're trying to imply otherwise
So Tavares and Marner are extremely sheltered? I thought Tavares was “amazing defensively” (your exact words)??

why would an “amazing defensive player” like Tavares be put out against second rate competition? Is keefe really that bad of a coach?

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
So Tavares and Marner are extremely sheltered? I thought Tavares was “amazing defensively” (your exact words)??

why would an “amazing defensive player” like Tavares be put out against second rate competition? Is keefe really that bad of a coach?
Uhm, they arent "extremely sheltered". Not even sure what you mean by that. They have 2 franchise C's. Has Malkin been "extremely sheltered" his whole career? Ridiculous. You can have more than 1 good line

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Uhm, they arent "extremely sheltered". Not even sure what you mean by that. They have 2 franchise C's. Has Malkin been "extremely sheltered" his whole career? Ridiculous. You can have more than 1 good line
So both Matthews line AND Tavares line play against the other teams top players each game?

Also, you don’t know what sheltered means? Honest question, are you brand new to hockey? It would actually explain a lot

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
So both Matthews line AND Tavares line play against the other teams top players each game?

Also, you don’t know what sheltered means? Honest question, are you brand new to hockey? It would actually explain a lot
So unless you play every shift against the opposing top line you are "extremely sheltered"? I'm not the new hockey guy here "NHL Fan00"

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
So unless you play every shift against the opposing top line you are "extremely sheltered"? I'm not the new hockey guy here "NHL Fan00"
So they take turns playing against the other teams top lines? 50/50 you would say? Sometimes they are sheltered, sometimes not?

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
So they take turns playing against the other teams top lines? 50/50 you would say? Sometimes they are sheltered, sometimes not?
I dont think you know what sheltered means. I dont keep track of who is on the ice all game every game sorry you might wanna research that if you care so much

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
I dont think you know what sheltered means. I dont keep track of who is on the ice all game every game sorry you might wanna research that if you care so much
I have the stats right in front of me genius.

And the poster above is correct (and shockingly, you have made yourself look terrible, yet again) and Matthews is fortunate to play BEHIND another player on his own team (thus playing sheltered minutes against inferior opponents), something draisaitl doesn’t benefit from, like Matthews does.

Who could have guessed

Reactions: crowi

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I have the stats right in front of me genius.

And the poster above is correct (and shockingly, you have made yourself look terrible, yet again) and Matthews is fortunate to play BEHIND another player on his own team (thus playing sheltered minutes against inferior opponents), something draisaitl doesn’t benefit from, like Matthews does.

Who could have guessed
Matthews' line is #1 on the game sheet. Tavares is the better faceoff man however. Matthews TOI is also about a minute higher (19:55 vs 19:01) so not much but its something. He is their best player

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Matthews' line is #1 on the game sheet. Tavares is the better faceoff man however. Matthews TOI is also about a minute higher (19:55 vs 19:01) so not much but its something. He is their best player
He absolutely is their best forward. I mean, that’s one of the main reasons the leafs are the 22nd place team in the nhl this season. If the leafs had their top player be a draisaitl or Barkov, they would be a better team. So with that, we are in completely agreement about Matthews as the leafs best forward. Good point by you.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
He absolutely is their best forward. I mean, that’s one of the main reasons the leafs are the 22nd place team in the nhl this season. If the leafs had their top player be a draisaitl or Barkov, they would be a better team. So with that, we are in completely agreement about Matthews as the leafs best forward. Good point by you.
We finally reached the point in the argument where it becomes about trashing the leafs instead of the actual thread topic.

Matthews is not the leafs problem. And I am sure you know this, but choose to ignore to take these said shots.

If Barkov was there instead of Matthews that would be interesting but we will never know. If we swapped Draisatl for Matthews the leafs would be so, so, so much worse. They dont need any more right wingers. I mean unless he brought Mcdavid with him, then yes, but just Drai? Astronomically worse

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
We finally reached the point in the argument where it becomes about trashing the leafs instead of the actual thread topic.

Matthews is not the leafs problem.

If Barkov was there instead of Matthews that would be interesting but we will never know. If we swapped Draisatl for Matthews the leafs would be so, so, so much worse. They dont need any more right wingers. I mean unless he brought Mcdavid with him, then yes, but just Drai? Astronomically worse
I might be in the minority here, but I believe replacing a 37 goal, 36 assist, 73 point player with a 50 goal, 55 assist, 105 point Player would make a team better. Especially if the 105 point player is also great on the penalty kill and isn’t afraid to get involved physically, which is the exact opposite of the 73 point player.

But, like I said, I must be crazy because a poster who openly admits to saying she “does not watch hockey other than leaf games due to league wide anti-leaf bias and leaf hate” said matthews is too good

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Matthews is not the leafs problem. And I am sure you know this, but choose to ignore to take these said shots.

If you check the leafs record without Mathews in the line up were they bad?
Then check it without that winger named Marner how do they look?

Reactions: Neutral Hockey Fan

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I might be in the minority here, but I believe replacing a 37 goal, 36 assist, 73 point player with a 50 goal, 55 assist, 105 point Player would make a team better. Especially if the 105 point player is also great on the penalty kill and isn’t afraid to get involved physically, which is the exact opposite of the 73 point player.

But, like I said, I must be crazy because a poster who openly admits to saying she “does not watch hockey other than leaf games due to league wide anti-leaf bias and leaf hate” said matthews is too good
Not so cut and dry. Matthews missed time last year. He isnt a 73 point player, and you know that but 73 looks better to help your crappy argument.

Drai doesnt get 50-55-105 on the leafs. He doesnt have Mcdavid on his line. Like I said, you cant really compare a #1RW who plays with Mcdavid to a #1C who doesnt have the best player on the planet to boost his numbers

Also still not a she, at least the last time I checked I wasnt

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
If you check the leafs record without Mathews in the line up were they bad?
Then check it without that winger named Marner how do they look?
I actually dont know, but with Marners recent injury they held their own pretty well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad