Matthews vs Barkov vs Draisaitl

Who will have a better season and who do you take going forward?

• Total voters

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Three big bodied centres - who will have the better season and who do you take going forward?

And yes, I know this topic has already been discussed before, but I'm curious to see what the current opinions are.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Auston. If he’s healthy I think he explodes this year. He’s the most talented player imo

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
Your asking 2 different questions. Voted Matthews but barkov should have the most complete season this year

Reactions: LGB

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Yes but without playing with the best player in the league and riding inflated percentages

Playing on the leafs is a much more favourable situation than playing with McDavid. If he ever does win a rocket his percentages will be inflated, that’s how you win a rocket by having a great season.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Wow so if he explodes he becomes Draisaitl? Lol.

Yeah, I don't see Draisaitl doing that consistently at all in the future....he averaged 4 more minutes a night last year and rode shotgun with the best offensive player in the league for most of the year. If the Oilers ever take the next step as a team and get out of the basement, he'll be the 2C and his minutes will go down bit and he won't put put those same inflated numbers.

Matthews is a lot more efficient and can actually carry a line without having to play with a talent like McDavid. No need to get defensive about thinking Mr Glassman is a better player than Leon...

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Yeah, I don't see Draisaitl doing that consistently, if ever again....he averaged 4 more minutes a night last year and rode shotgun with the best offensive player in the league for most of the year. If the Oilers ever take the next step as a team and get out of the basement, he'll be the 2C and his minutes will go down bit and he won't put put those same inflated numbers.

Matthews is a lot more efficient and can actually carry a line without having to play with a talent like McDavid. No need to get defensive about thinking Mr Glassman is a better player than Leon...

It’s just kinda ridiculous to suggest that Matthews is better, Drai’s literally better at everything. Even goal scoring Matthews only good ability Drai was better last year.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
According to Sportsnet Matthews is 1B to mcdavid now.

It is not really a surprise. I am the first to admit Matty needs to be healthy, and when he was injured, he came back and didn't look right.

But a healthy Matthews, with his shooting arsenal, and he is growing as a playmaker, he would or at least could be 1B to McDavid.

But it heavily depends on health, because we are talking the best here (McDavid)

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Barkov has outscored Matthews the past two seasons and is easily the better defensive player. There is no argument for Matthews > Barkov at this point.

So we are going to ignore the games Matthews has missed a lot of games?

BUT I believe Matty has the two way game in him, but needs to bring it some more to be on the same level as barkov in that department.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It is not really a surprise. I am the first to admit Matty needs to be healthy, and when he was injured, he came back and didn't look right.

But a healthy Matthews, with his shooting arsenal, and he is growing as a playmaker, he would or at least could be 1B to McDavid.

But it heavily depends on health, because we are talking the best here (McDavid)
At Matthews age McDavid already had 2 art rosses.

Matthews has yet to even pace anywhere close to an art ross.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So we are going to ignore the games Matthews has missed a lot of games?

BUT I believe Matty has the two way game in him, but needs to bring it some more to be on the same level as barkov in that department.

Matthews will never in his career be as good defensively as Barkov. Might as well put that pipe dream to rest here and now.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah, I don't see Draisaitl doing that consistently at all in the future....he averaged 4 more minutes a night last year and rode shotgun with the best offensive player in the league for most of the year. If the Oilers ever take the next step as a team and get out of the basement, he'll be the 2C and his minutes will go down bit and he won't put put those same inflated numbers.

A lot more efficient, so efficient his coach wouldn't even increase his minutes in the playoffs in a deciding game. Trying to save his energy for this year or something?

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
So Draisaitl away from McDavid would put up similar stats to Matthews?

So you would agree they are similar then.

What? Austons pace last year was for 88 points. All while playing way less minutes and less pp time. Thats also with drai being drafted 2 years before. Now yes it is on auston to stay healthy and prove it over 82 games, but they are not similar.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
This is the Seguin vs. Hall debate all over again. Matthews needs to stay healthy a full year. Barkov too (injury prone early on).

Matthews like Hall is going to have one of those MVP seasons but who knows when.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad