Matthews vs Barkov vs Draisaitl

Who will have a better season and who do you take going forward?

• Total voters

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
You cant honestly believe he is better than Matthews let alone Barkov.
Lol

Yes, myself and everyone else (other than lots of Leaf fans) can honestly believe that.

Draisaitl has played at a level this year that Matthews will likely never reach. Even with his mini slump recently.

Barkov is close but there is a clear gap between the two

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Draisaitl was the best thing since sliced bread a few weeks ago. The tide turns fast on this site.

Not really.. this poll is from before the season started and the majority of the votes came in then.. if anything, this shows that quite a lot of people didn't believe in Drai yet, even though he had dominant season last year. He's somehow even better so far this year. Do this poll again and I'm pretty confident Drai comes out on top by a wide margin.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
At this point in time, I’d say about 99% of GMs and analysts and list makers/rankers across the league would rate Drai above Matthews.
Maybe they should take into account one guy plays with the best player in the world, and the other does not.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Lol

Yes, myself and everyone else (other than lots of Leaf fans) can honestly believe that.

Draisaitl has played at a level this year that Matthews will likely never reach. Even with his mini slump recently.

Barkov is close but there is a clear gap between the two
Put Matthews with Mcdavid and see what happens. I dont believe Mcdavids winger is better than a 40 goal scorer who centers his own line

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Maybe they should take into account one guy plays with the best player in the world, and the other does not.
I’m sure they’ve watched the games, unlike you who admitted to only watching leaf games. Things have been different recently, but McDavid was very slow compared to his standards and ability to start the season due to his late season injury and Draisaitl absolutely carried the line for the first 6-8 weeks of the season.

I don’t see how you can even comment on other players/teams as you admitted that you don’t watch them. And your comment here shows just that.

Reactions: Neutral Hockey Fan

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I’m sure they’ve watched the games, unlike you who admitted to only watching leaf games. Things have been different recently, but McDavid was very slow compared to his standards and ability to start the season due to his late season injury and Draisaitl absolutely carried the line for the first 6-8 weeks of the season.

I don’t see how you can even comment on other players/teams as you admitted that you don’t watch them. And your comment here shows just that.
Drai plays on Mcdavids wing, no? Drai is good but there is no way he puts up those numbers without Mcdavid. Put someone like Elias Lindholm or Rickard Rakell next to Mcdavid and I bet they score 50 as well

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Drai plays on Mcdavids wing, no? Drai is good but there is no way he puts up those numbers without Mcdavid. Put someone like Elias Lindholm or Rickard Rakell next to Mcdavid and I bet they score 50 as well
Lol, no. I don’t think one of those players would carry the line to the heights that Draisaitl did for the first 6-8 weeks of the season when McDavid was under par. Keep commenting on players/teams you admit to not watching. I’m sure anyone can see how intelligent that practice is.

And these are just raw results. It says nothing to compare the players compete levels, of which Matthews are virtually non existent much of the time.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Lol, no. I don’t think one of those players would carry the line to the heights that Draisaitl did for the first 6-8 weeks of the season when McDavid was under par. Keep commenting on players/teams you admit to not watching. I’m sure anyone can see how intelligent that practice is.

And these are just raw results. It says nothing to compare the players compete levels, of which Matthews are virtually non existent much of the time.
"Mcdavid under par" he has 55 points in 33 games what do you expect? Drai is a good player but definitely benefits from playing with the best in the world. Who wouldnt?

Also, my bad. I was unaware every poster on here watches every teams' every game.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
"Mcdavid under par" he has 55 points in 33 games what do you expect? Drai is a good player but definitely benefits from playing with the best in the world. Who wouldnt?

Also, my bad. I was unaware every poster on here watches every teams' every game.
There’s a difference between not being able to watch a majority of a player’s games and flat out admitting to avoiding them...but still commenting on them. And yes, McDavid to start the year was under par. He was clearly still recovering from the brutal leg injury sustained late last season. For the first 6-8 weeks of the season Draisaitl was the best player on the team and carrying the line. Watching those games would have made it as clear to you as it was clear to many of us who did watch them.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
There’s a difference between not being able to watch a majority of a player’s games and flat out admitting to avoiding them...but still commenting on them. And yes, McDavid to start the year was under par. He was clearly still recovering from the brutal leg injury sustained late last season. For the first 6-8 weeks of the season Draisaitl was the best player on the team and carrying the line. Watching those games would have made it as clear to you as it was clear to many of us who did watch them.
If Mcdavid has 55 points under par I dont wanna know what he'd do in his prime form :eek: Jokes aside, I would be willing to bet that at least 95% of posters only watch their teams. Just because I said it makes me different though, right?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
If Mcdavid has 55 points under par I dont wanna know what he'd do in his prime form :eek: Jokes aside, I would be willing to bet that at least 95% of posters only watch their teams. Just because I said it makes me different though, right?
Ok fine. But the main point is, and you can go back to old game day threads here to check for yourself, for the first 6-8 weeks of the season, the consensus amongst those viewing, Oiler fans and non Oiler fans alike, was that Draisaitl was carrying the load, driving the line and McDavid was not yet up to speed. In that specific time frame, McDavid benefited from Draisaitl more than the other way around. For the last month or so McDavid looks back to normal and has taken the reigns yet again. But no, many players couldn’t do what Draisaitl did by carrying the best player in the world for two months.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Ok fine. But the main point is, and you can go back to old game day threads here to check for yourself, for the first 6-8 weeks of the season, the consensus amongst those viewing, Oiler fans and non Oiler fans alike, was that Draisaitl was carrying the load, driving the line and McDavid was not yet up to speed. In that specific time frame, McDavid benefited from Draisaitl more than the other way around. For the last month or so McDavid looks back to normal and has taken the reigns yet again. But no, many players couldn’t do what Draisaitl did by carrying the best player in the world for two months.
For the record i'm not trying to trash Drai. He's a fine player but anyone would benefit from playing with Mcdavid. In this thread be is being put up against 2 young franchise centers. The winger who plays with the best player in the world does not have anything on these 2 #1 C's.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

I’d take that bet, 90% of my viewing is NHL
Also In order
Draisaitl
Barkov
Mathews -if Mathews competed better, I’d move him higher

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
For the record i'm not trying to trash Drai. He's a fine player but anyone would benefit from playing with Mcdavid. In this thread be is being put up against 2 young franchise centers. The winger who plays with the best player in the world does not have anything on these 2 #1 C's.

You mean other than superior production over the past season and a half?

Weird. You were arguing in favor of Tavares over Giroux in another thread because "47 goals > 22 goals", yet the guy with superior production in this thread seems to be third on your list.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I’d take that bet, 90% of my viewing is NHL
Also In order
Draisaitl
Barkov
Mathews -if Mathews competed better, I’d move him higher
I dont know why people say Matthews has no "compete" or whatever silly word they want to use. If he is this good without "compete" or "drive" or "grit" I dont wanna know what he'd be doing if he WAS competing

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
You mean other than superior production over the past season and a half?

Weird. You were arguing in favor of Tavares over Giroux in another thread because "47 goals > 22 goals", yet the guy with superior production in this thread seems to be third on your list.
You really followed me to talk about Giroux Tavares eh? Drai plays with the best player in the world. That miiiiiight help but who am I to know.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I dont know why people say Matthews has no "compete" or whatever silly word they want to use. If he is this good without "compete" or "drive" or "grit" I dont wanna know what he'd be doing if he WAS competing

I’ve seen him compete and it’s 2 different players, problem is it’s rare.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Yep everyone who played with McD has gotten 50/100 just like all the 100 point players produced by Crosby.
It takes no skill with those guys, that’s why Edmonton always has all that depth and 100 point wingers every year.
He has more points than Mcdavid? Ummm yep just like all the other no skilled wingers that played with mcdavid.

He is far superior two those guys that’s just the way it is.
Let’s not forget Mathews has gotten to hide behind Marner on the second line so he gets an easier ride

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Put Matthews with Mcdavid and see what happens. I dont believe Mcdavids winger is better than a 40 goal scorer who centers his own line

Draisaitl is better than Matthews, but the gap is maybe not quite as big as their stats show. Still pretty clear from watching them who's better though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad