Confirmed with Link: Matthews new deal Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I just looked up Kucherov and he signed an 8 year extension for 9.5 million. That extension is also mostly UFA years. It also only kicks in next year. Dude also had 100 points last year and will have way more this year...

How the **** did Matthews have the position to even argue for this deal, let alone get it? Who the **** did he compare himself to? Higher cap hit, no UFA years, shorter term, and has nowhere near the stats Kucherov has.
Only TB gets good deals

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I just looked up Kucherov and he signed an 8 year extension for 9.5 million. That extension is also mostly UFA years. It also only kicks in next year. Dude also had 100 points last year and will have way more this year...

How the **** did Matthews have the position to even argue for this deal, let alone get it? Who the **** did he compare himself to? Higher cap hit, no UFA years, shorter term, and has nowhere near the stats Kucherov has.
Yeah, it's flat out bullshit. It's unprecedented. There is no comparable to it. Matthews has allegedly "set" the new market. That's how bad the contract is. We have to rationalize it as "setting a new market" to try and make ourselves feel better about it. Most of the leaf fans here are still defending it. Which is baffling, really.

If Point signs for substantially lower than Marner, and leaf fans here make lame excuses for it, I might literally not be able to handle it. Health-wise. Both mentally and physically.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I love argument like this.

"Don't just be mad at the Matthews dramatic overpayment. Because there's a whole bunch of other dramatic overpayments our trainwreck of a franchise has given out."

How exactly is that supposed to make anybody feel any better about the Matthews dramatic over-payment?
In order for that to be true, Matthews would have signed a contract for a massive over-payment though he didn't.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Thats like 12 million on the open market I think. Tampa, Nashville, Arizona, Dallas and Vegas players don't pay income tax. Of course it doesn't help garbage teams, but many of the competitive teams (Tampa, Dallas, Nashville) have got tons of players to leave money on the table kinda....

"You can get this on the open market. Once we agree to that number, We will figure how much that would be tax free" The player gets the same money, the team gets extra cap..... Its a scam but the league doesn't seem to want to deal with it.

If you look Nashville's whole team, Dallas (seguin and benn) and the top players for tampa have all singed for less.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Matthews scores goal better then almost anyone in the last 30 years. His comparable for his age range is Ovechkin.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Marner, Point and the wingers should not be comparable to matthews.... He set the market this year because he is the top player.

His cap hit is between 13.5-14.5 of the cap next year depending on whether it turns out to be 83-85 million. That hit is totally fine and reasonable. That is actually a good hit.

I think people forget how rare Matthews is as a goal scoring C. Over the last 25 seasons Matthews is 8th in goals in his first 3 seasons, after missing 33 games and STILL having 25 games left. He is currently 3rd in Goals Per Game, and could end up 3rd in total goals by the end of the season.

If you look at Goals per 60 matthews is the best Goal scorer now in the past 25 years. The contract is 1 year too short. The contract MAY have long term implications, but to act like Matthews isn't completely above the rest of the RFA class this year shows a complete lack of understanding of how good the player is.... Even if he has been cheating in the D zone lately.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Matthews scores goal better then almost anyone in the last 30 years. His comparable for his age range is Ovechkin.

Yep... Exactly this

In fact if you look at goals per minute, Matthews and Ovechkin score at the EXACT same goal rate and both are the top goals per minute in 25 years.....

Matthews sets the market because he is the market... People don't seem to understand that

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Ask any team in the league if they would sign this contract for a young top 5 center in the game. Probably at least 25 would without hesitation, the rest couldn't for financial reasons. His comparables are McJesus and few others in todays world. Eichel makes 10 and is clearly a step below. Public knowledge Connor was actually offered 13+ and took less for the team. Tavares turned down 13+ from San Jose (ok a UFA different story I get it).

These are the numbers in todays world, and Austin has earned the right to get top dollar. He took a shade below IMO but did alright.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Ask any team in the league if they would sign this contract for a young top 5 center in the game. Probably at least 25 would without hesitation, the rest couldn't for financial reasons. His comparables are McJesus and few others in todays world. Eichel makes 10 and is clearly a step below. Public knowledge Connor was actually offered 13+ and took less for the team. Tavares turned down 13+ from San Jose (ok a UFA different story I get it).

These are the numbers in todays world, and Austin has earned the right to get top dollar. He took a shade below IMO but did alright.

So we're pretending term doesn't exist anymore and that this deal didn't take Matthews straight into ufa?

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

Ask any team in the league if they'd like to sign Matthews for less than the deal he took. They'd probably also say yes. In other news water is wet.

It's not the worst case scenario. But no one should pretend it is the best case scenario either. It's just the less than ideal hand we've been dealt. And the only thing that matters is if Matthews and the rest of the team can win the Cup. If he does it's all fine. If he doesn't and then leaves because it was a shorter contract then that sucks. We'll see what happens in the coming months and years.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So we're pretending term doesn't exist anymore and that this deal didn't take Matthews straight into ufa?

It didn't.... It bought 1 year of UFA. Not great, but again, this was the absolute norm.... Mcdavid, Eichel and Drai were the exceptions, not the rule.

The top of the Top RFA's took 5 year deals at 15-17 percent of the cap..... The star but not superstar players took 5 years at 11-12 percent. Matthews fits right in between those really, so it does make sense. He took a 5 year deal at 13-14 percent. Exactly in line really.

Of course Stamkos signed for 12,,,,, But Tampa is a bit different.

As long as we play harball with Marner and get him compared to Aho et al.... we are perfectly fine

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Ask any team in the league if they'd like to sign Matthews for less than the deal he took. They'd probably also say yes. In other news water is wet.

It's not the worst case scenario. But no one should pretend it is the best case scenario either. It's just the less than ideal hand we've been dealt. And the only thing that matters is if Matthews and the rest of the team can win the Cup. If he does it's all fine. If he doesn't and then leaves because it was a shorter contract then that sucks. We'll see what happens in the coming months and years.
We're talking about an RFA.

For the very fact that a team would have to give up 4 1st to match that contract, OF COURSE ANY OTHER TEAM WOULD TAKE THE CONTRACT IF THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO GIVE UP THE 4 1ST ROUND PICKS.

The comparison isn't supposed to be "would another gm take our current rfa contract?" No. The comparison is "would another gm have been able to sign their comparable player to a CHEAPER contract". And the answer seems to be an overwhelming YES.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
It didn't.... It bought 1 year of UFA. Not great, but again, this was the absolute norm.... Mcdavid, Eichel and Drai were the exceptions, not the rule.

The top of the Top RFA's took 5 year deals at 15-17 percent of the cap..... The star but not superstar players took 5 years at 11-12 percent. Matthews fits right in between those really, so it does make sense. He took a 5 year deal at 13-14 percent. Exactly in line really.

Of course Stamkos signed for 12,,,,, But Tampa is a bit different.

As long as we play harball with Marner and get him compared to Aho et al.... we are perfectly fine

Strange, you compare cap hit to guys with longer term deals and then tell me garbage about them being exceptions.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Strange, you compare cap hit to guys with longer term deals and then tell me garbage about them being exceptions.

Huh?????

The 2nd contracts of Malkin. Crosby. Toews. Stamkos. Kane. We’re all 5 years.....

Matthews has a legitimate case to be a top 3 goal scorer out of the last 25 years and by some metrics. Is the best.

Him ending up between Kane/toews and Malkin/Crosby is pretty much exactly where he should be cap wise.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
Only fanbase in the league that is divided about our franchise centre.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
We're talking about an RFA.

For the very fact that a team would have to give up 4 1st to match that contract, OF COURSE ANY OTHER TEAM WOULD TAKE THE CONTRACT IF THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO GIVE UP THE 4 1ST ROUND PICKS.

The comparison isn't supposed to be "would another gm take our current rfa contract?" No. The comparison is "would another gm have been able to sign their comparable player to a CHEAPER contract". And the answer seems to be an overwhelming YES.
Who has signed since Matthews that is comparable? I don't think anyone has. So it cannot be an overwhelming anything.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
so with Matthews signed, what are realistic moves we could make for next season to get Marner + Kap under the cap + all the other roster positions we need to fit under. Im pretty worried what this team will look like. what if they cant fit Marner under the cap. pretty scary only 7.5M in space. Marleau's contract is looking awful right now

DcW

Feb 27, 2018
Interesting comments from 34 about lack of in game adjustments...this will come to a head sooner than later

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Who has signed since Matthews that is comparable? I don't think anyone has. So it cannot be an overwhelming anything.
The argument on the leafs board (and ONLY the leafs board) is that Dubas is overpaying because he (lol) see's where the league is going in the future, contractually.

My argument is that I'm not so sure it's true.

Here's my problem... if other gm's get their players signed for MUCH better contracts than what Dubas gave to Nylander and Matthews... I don't think ANY of these people will just admit they're wrong. They will cite a whole bunch of stupid bullshit to try and claim they're still right.

What do you think Marner deserves on his next contract? What do you think Point deserves? Let's see if it pans out...

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The argument on the leafs board (and ONLY the leafs board) is that Dubas is overpaying because he (lol) see's where the league is going in the future, contractually.

My argument is that I'm not so sure it's true.

Here's my problem... if other gm's get their players signed for MUCH better contracts than what Dubas gave to Nylander and Matthews... I don't think ANY of these people will just admit they're wrong. They will cite a whole bunch of stupid bull**** to try and claim they're still right.

What do you think Marner deserves on his next contract? What do you think Point deserves? Let's see if it pans out...
If that is the condition , and Point and his ilk get Much better contracts. I will be the first to admit that I am wrong. As of yet, the condition has not been met.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad